Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #16
alekomotto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Waiting for Natnewt enjoying a refreshing ice coffee.

alekomotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Eagerly following as I want to do the same trip next summer. Safe riding!
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
alekomotto
Adventurer

trip done

Trip complete. Two weeks, 6214kms. Two 64GB micro sd cards full of go pro footage and tons of pics. We got really lucky and did not get rained on.

Natnewt was keeping a journal and should be posting soon. 6 provinces and 4 US states. Amazing trip.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Natnewt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
It's taken me a bit to get my life back in order after this trip. It's funny how doing nothing but riding and sightseeing can affect your normal day to day when you get back to work. It has taken me 3 days just to be able to learn to multitask again in which case I will be updating this report with day one today ;)
2006 XR650L heavily farklefied Tendering in the garage.
2012 F800GS Triple Black Let the mods begin.
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #20
alekomotto
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnewt View Post
It's taken me a bit to get my life back in order after this trip. It's funny how doing nothing but riding and sightseeing can affect your normal day to day when you get back to work. It has taken me 3 days just to be able to learn to multitask again in which case I will be updating this report with day one today ;)
Tell me about it. I'm still in Montreal, QC. Visiting family and friends and I'm not looking forward to going back to the grind. Maybe I'll ride north.

40 Celcius for the last 3 days with 80% humidity.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
Natnewt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day the first

After a prolonged rest period and a mad week of catching up with work I finally find myself with time to finish this report...I have every intention of doing it as the days went by on the road but I couldn't find the want to do it. Being tired, lacking internet or generally uninterested in touching a computer, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I did, however, keep a journal every couple days and the pictures will jog my memory to the parts I forgot. So without further waiting here she goes..

Within the last day before the trip it was a flurry of tying up loose ends, going over lists and constantly thinking I had forgotten something.

I finished bike upgrades

Dropped the dog off at sisters but somehow ended up with almost bringing hers back with me

Finished the electronics

Actually woke up on time the next morning (If you know knew me you'd know how hard this is) and the gf and I were ready to roll

and so was the bike

Met up around 8 at a Mcdonalds for a caffeine injection and your standard beginning of the trip pics and awaaaay we go.

Day 1 Toronto to Tupper Lake
You really know when you're ready for an adventure when it doesn't matter what song comes on, no matter what genre, you enjoy it. It has been awhile since I've gone on a road trip and being the first time on a motorcycle I was surprised at how quickly the kms melted away. Driving in a cage seems like it takes forever in comparison.
Leaving the Big Smoke, the busy life, the traffic, the attitude and the hustle and bustle. You feel the stress melt away from you like the lanes of the highway disappearing.

A standard uneventful ride across the 401 with your usual road kill, deer, coyote and whatever else had the unfortunate experience of meeting up with traffic.
A few gas/butt relief stops at our local En Routes

And always time for a selfie

We figured we'd cross the border at 1000 islands it might have been faster than any other location but the sad reality is that if you build single lane bridges over a massive transport river leading to a border...you're gonna have to wait.

A simple request lead to our first stop "I wanna eat at the first greasiest diner we come across" Alex doesn't have a lot of high end goals...And so we stopped in the middle of buttfuck nowhere New York state and had our greasy spoon. 'Murica.

Best part was the whole glass of vanilla milkshake the waitress wasted on a shocked preteen and she wasn't the least bit embarrassed about it.
Also gave me a chance to stretch...pelvic thrust

A lot of the riding was just getting used to the weight of the bike, camera angles and more kms than I've every put down on the road in one sitting.
LOL weight of the bike..

We pulled into Tupper Lake around 5 after a 30 min rain shower, enough to soak me through and dampen my spirits a tad, pardon the pun ;). We took the first cottage we saw, Faust or something, it was vacant, clean and apparently was the only one with a more modern bathroom.

Out to dinner at the locale with my favourite, microbrews and then bed.

I wish I could say what time I passed out but I was done. For the first time in awhile I earned my sleep. Of course I'm sure the few pints I had helped out a lil bit.

We all got a little silly I think

Natnewt screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 10:31 AM Reason: Making this post more awesome
Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #22
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
Natnewt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 Mountain Men

Tupper Lake NY to Halowell Maine

Views...absolutely speechless, from the Adirondacks to the White Mountain National park I wasn't left wanting. Starting a day with a delicious breakfast makes for good riding and the two things I started realizing is though food and drink is relatively cheap in the states, its really plentiful and the back country routes have tasty vittles and you never forget you're in America.

And the company wasn't too bad either

Leaving Tupper Lake lead into twisty mountain singles and eventually into Lake Placid which had every feel of your local rich country club... you drove through but kinda felt like you didn't belong.

As many of you know the thing about adventure is it's best when it's not planned and as we had a whole map made and set courses and timings, sometimes life has a way of interfering. As a matter of fact it all worked out for the better as we decided to take a ferry across Lake Champlain as opposed to running north, basically back to the Canadian border, to stay on asphalt to go around it. As we pulled into Essex the ferry was about to leave and it only has room for 2 more bikes.

Vermont basically had us getting back on our GPS route to head into New Hampshire and into the White Mountain National. Funny thing is I ended up recalculating and didn't realize it screwed my route and brought us 30 min outside our tracks, so much for all the added time. Being a hot day it sucked as you can see.

What sticks out so much more than anything else is the amount of trails in the White Mountains. Being a hiker I could spend weeks just running around the forest, being a biker I couldn't be bothered to stop. We had so much ground to cover I regret not getting enough pics of ourselves and the bikes in all these beautiful places.

Eventually we broke through into the Maine border and after lengthy interstate riding to make up time, we ended up in Halowell and a Quality Inn where we properly found this..

I don't know what you Maine people feed your bugs but holy shit!

All the standard resting nonsense aside we got a cab to a local pub to grab a bite and some well earned beer and found one called Liberal Cup which brews everything they have on tap...heaven, of course the food was stellar. I don't know if we have the best lucky finding great eateries or generally you can't go wrong after a hard days ride that cow patties and swamp water taste just as good.
My third realization came this night as well..I kind of lead it on in a conversation with the cab driver bringing us back to the Inn talking about US gun laws when he promptly pulled out his .357?! saw it coming but being a 6 ft 3 ex cop it was an easy call....No pics to protect his identity
Old 07-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #24
alekomotto
Adventurer

Us cab drivers...

yeah that cabby was an interesting cat. He drew and spun his gun like he was a bona fide cowboy.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
Natnewt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Third days the charm...

Something I forgot to mention in the previous post was a funny smack in the face because of my cockiness. Before we signed in to the Quality Inn I walked into the lobby looking at the girl and demanded their best suite in a very joking attitude...I didn't realize, the girl behind the desk being loopy, that she took me seriously and we got separate executive suites costing $140 The majority of this trip we shared doubles for the sake of keeping things cheap, that's what I get I guess

Continuing on, after a luxurious stay at Chez Quality Inn we made use of their continental breakfast were I got overly excited about making my own waffle. I didn't want a waffle, I hardly eat waffles but the draw to have one created by my very hands was too tempting.

During breakfast we had to discuss our venture that day and unfortunately decided to slab it moreover taking the coastal route. Weather was predicting rain (none came) and something stirred in us to make us think it might be the better idea and you can't argue your gut feeling (special when its full of waffles).

We made tracks. Hardly stopping unless we needed gas or coffee we iron butted through Maine and New Brunswick. Naturally there weren't a lot of pics so this entry will probably be the more boring of the lot. Unfortunately this was the day that wasn't so boring for me. I didn't think it was possible for my heart to beat as fast as it did the moment that young fawn ran out on the road in front of me. Alex had just passed him and he ran out exactly in the middle of the two of us. A thousand things run through your mind but only one thing stuck...It's young I can probably kill it. I swerved to the right to give myself the time and had my foot ready to kick at its head... it was the best I could come up with. Luckily it decided to turn around at the last possible minute. Life continues for both me and the deer.

First stop

Being from the east coast any of you that might be from around there might understand...Donairs are hard to come by anywhere but that's why as soon as I saw this place I knew it was lunch time

Someone enjoyed he water more than the donair

And some prefer our water a bit more flavored

Kind of makes us silly

Well you can see what water does...

We had come back across the border on Canada day celebrations were everywhere in Saint Stephen NB. Maybe that's what made our hearts yearn to travel long that day.

Marching on we ended up in Saint John NB. Driving across the highway was interesting. As we rolled through the hills the temps would raise and drop by almost 10 degrees. We were geared up but not bundled....it was friggin cold at times.

You all know the old adage, You can't judge a book by its cover, luckily I follow it as the local gentry at the Tim Hortons off the highway were, although quite nice, not the smartest people I've met. I'm pretty sure several drug deals were going down as well. I say this only because I've never met a group of people so proud of losing their licenses or smashing cars and getting DUIs who use Cabelas catalog as their daily wear, wondering why they will never be as lucky as us travelling the country on our purdy bikes. I let one of the guys son sit in my saddle while I tried to fill his head with stories before we decided it was probably time to get out of there before things started to go missing.

On to Fundy

The first scenic stop

We started hoping it wouldn't be foggy the who time we were here

Passing by the town of Alma in search of a B&B our hopes quickly dashed by a no vacancy sign. The owner was nice enough to point us back to Alma and give us a little info and where to stay and what to eat...bonus.

Apparently they have issues with their renters..

We all got a laugh out of the sign...kind of ruined our dinner plans though

A few showers and some relaxing later we were all ready to eat

A delicious seafood meal and dessert to follow(wasn't seafood) we grabbed a case of local beer and went out on the town.

The girls dessert

The sinking ships

And back to the motel to catch up on the days events...the gf is a little more old school than me, funny considering our age difference shes a lot more mature....sometimes.