ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Lane Splitting Question?

Is this a good split? Do you split like this? I do oft times, but seems some riders just have a bad sense of it. It's at 1:30, here

I see a bike positioned too far right in it's lane. I see another bike (scooter) split IN the other lane. Do you think the MC rider would have thought the same had she been positioned properly in her lane? Which I am pretty sure would be further left so the driver stopped ahead of her can SEE her in both his mirrors (rear view and side).

What he did? Do you do it?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Chick on a bike? Guy on a scooter? wtf is the world coming to? ;) ;)

I think the chick is positioned properly in her lane. I sometimes mention that in the msf classes I teach. You never want to stop directly behind (and close to) the car in front of you... where ya gonna go if some blue haired person isn't stopping behind you?

You should be in 1st gear, have an escape route (between the cars) and be looking in your rear view.

Scooter guy? seems to be splitting too fast. Only thing I can think of is that it was a stale Red. He may have sped up so as not to be caught between the cars when it turned green. But that doesn't seem to be the case, as the chick points out later he continues to split at high speed farther down the road.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

oops. looks like i have some rider training to brush up on. i have been in her position before and been backed up on for not being seeing in the drivers most commonly used mirrors. or at least not being apparent enough

but like you said, escape route, etc. personally i split to the front which takes some of that rear ended concern off myself

back to the split. ok, maybe i don't split quite that fast, but i do get hustlin' sometimes. however at the recommendation of an msf instructor i will take note when i hit the streets later

still gonna have me a little fun, though

DudeClone screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 07:22 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
oops. looks like i have some rider training to brush up on. i have been in her position before and been backed up on for not being seeing in the drivers most commonly used mirrors. or at least not being apparent enough

but like you said, escape route, etc. personally i split to the front which takes some of that rear ended concern off myself

back to the split. ok, maybe i don't split quite that fast, but i do get hustlin' sometimes. however at the recommendation of an msf instructor i will take note when i hit the streets later

still gonna have me a little fun, though
Well I'd say the odds of being hit from behind (and needing the escape route) are many many times greater than some dimwit backing up on you.

Fun? we ain't doin it if it ain't fun Bro ;)

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
I see scooter f&@/ like that all the time

spliting shoulders on a two lane + roadway, 30+ speed delta, splitint b/t #1 and left turn lane, etc

Girl should have split to front . I think I know who she is!
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,930
I split like that on a Goldwing, she is super whiney.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
I see scooter f&@/ like that all the time

spliting shoulders on a two lane + roadway, 30+ speed delta, splitint b/t #1 and left turn lane, etc

Girl should have split to front . I think I know who she is!
i agree with you about many scooter riders. unsafe riding, shorts, flip-flops, no gloves, etc. riding as if traffic should look out for them instead of the other way around. i think this is because many buy and ride scooters as a safer, less intimidating alternative to a motorcycle and think it to be safer to ride on the road. which it is not, of course

speaking for myself mostly i don't think we all ride like that, and maybe that is why some "move up" to motorcycles after a bit. a capable scooter is a great little bike to get around any city on, however. so long as you know how to ride it

that said i do get a chuckle when i see what are most likely beginner MC riders doing the same dumb crap scooter riders do, but all geared up and riding their 600cc "beginner" bike like they and it were just born yesterday. or even more experienced MC riders that are surprised when out front of traffic to see me pull up to them a few seconds later at the next light, all traffic behind US. just a 1000cc racing bike and a little 'ol 150cc scooter, side by side. but take away the traffic and consider my 60mph top speed and i'd be toast under any other circumstances, of course

but yeah, California is unique in the sense of the way we get to ride our bikes on the street. city streets, is what i am talking about. before i started splitting and filtering i was like the girl in the vid stuck behind cars at a light. now i just move between and through traffic like it is second nature and can't imagine riding any other way. its been quite an experience ever since then

so, MC here i come. but i will always have at least one small scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I split like that on a Goldwing, she is super whiney.

DudeClone screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 01:33 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,540
I split similar to that once. Not that fast, but timed the light just right. Halfway through the intersection I realized how stupid I was. All it would take was one jerk in cross traffic running the red to take me out. I will never do that again.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
bykergrrl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I would have moved to the front at the first intersection. The scooter was going too fast in case of a late left turner from the left
bykergrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
The scooter rider is an idiot. The scooter rider should have slowed and made sure the intersection was clear and there was no threat of any vehicles entering the intersection.

I invesigated a collision similiar to that situaton. Car crosses the limit line right before the signal went red. The car now lawfully has the intersection. Motorcyclist lane splitting at about 35 mph keeps rolling because the traffic signal phased to green. He never saw the other car enter the intersection. M/C rider got a broken leg out of the collision.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,517
The chick for one has terrible riding skills. She is in tunnel vision the whole time. i see her turn her head only once to merge off of an on ramp, and not enough there. The trick to riding am MC in tight quarters is to be constantly scanning around you, and you should not trust your mirrors for lane changes, a side check should always be done, however briefly. The dude on the scooter I don't think was in danger from the cars in his direction, but anyone that jumps out of a green light without checking is going to get it. Oh, and anyone that sits there stopped and blocks the way for other bikes to split up, and they don't, is a narcisist, Just because you arn't comfortable splitting up the middle, dosn't mean someone with better skills isn't. leave the space between cars open. As someone else said, I too split all day long on my Goldwing (the commuter) and have no problems, its all about your comfort zone.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
scotts_4x
lookin for a ride

Oddometer: 57
Girl on the bike needs to chill. Sounds like she needs to be driving a car. She also needs to scan, at least a little, her surroundings. She didn't even move her head going through any of the lights. I always look both directions whether its a green light or a stop sign on a side street. I also always ride in the DRIVER'S mirror of the car in front of me, and always turn my head for a visual check and hand signal for a lane change.

Guy on the scooter may have been going a little too fast, but that's his choice, I'm not gonna pull up to a light and try to yell at him for it however.

-scott
scotts_4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,438
How 'bout that Toyota truck
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,197
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes950
I split similar to that once. Not that fast, but timed the light just right. Halfway through the intersection I realized how stupid I was. All it would take was one jerk in cross traffic running the red to take me out. I will never do that again.
I never split at a stale red light for just that reason. There could also be a pedestrian walking too slow in the crosswalk who could pop out from behind one of the waiting cars.

I would also do no more than 10 mph faster than traffic, with a top speed of 20 mph (I know the guidelines say 40, but I'm not comfortable with that).
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 851
i don't split in town or filter to the front. the lanes are too narrow.
i'll split on the freeway.