Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #61
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post

If you think the right thoughts, and stay at it, then it will come to you.

That wreck, if fairly recent, will have an engine that was running at least decently right up to the accident.

One frankenbeemer coming up!

But you have to think the right thoughts. It's worked for me, and for others, and it can be pretty spooky sometimes. Things just happen, very unlikely things, and here you've been thinking these thoughts...

Not "spooky", vile.

You are more than just a little misunderstood,huh?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #62
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,675
I think he may be implying that it will point you toward a wreck in someone's garage, not causing a wreck for some poor soul.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #63
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I think he may be implying that it will point you toward a wreck in someone's garage, not causing a wreck for some poor soul.
I don't know how it works. There are some things I have not thought about getting because I know that one way for it to happen would be for a particular person to die. Don't want to take the risk. (that person died anyway, yesterday morning, so I am at more liberty now).

I know that certain kinds of wrecks will result in a particular kind of damage and that is what would be wanted in this situation. Those accidents might or might not have been survived by the rider. Speed, what they hit, gear, luck...I got my some of my leathers from a survivor. Just getting out of the hospital so I got to meet him but quite alive and would make a full recovery. The damage on the leathers says a lot about what can get hit in a high speed getoff. A reminder to wear.

You also don't have to feel like a vulture exploiting someone elses misfortune. I've had insurance companies force me to buy the remains. I could have gone to court I suppose... But even if they don't, the wrecks still get sold off somewhere and that's the place to be. It's how the regular boneyards get their stuff. They don't need a lot of crusty barn-find parts for the day to day inventory.

I suppose it sucks not to have an ignore function. Somebody outa send you a bottle of something...something nice.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #64
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,263
TBG,

Don't part out your bike if you want to ride this bike again anytime soon. You need the entire bike to put an engine into. Yes you may find a wrecked bike that has lots of groovy parts but, BUT, you don't know what the parts bike is going to have. How was it wrecked, etc.

You are in need of an engine. Start saving the moola. If you find a wreck with the engine needed then you will make some money back when you sell the extra stuff you don't want to keep for yourself.

Or one of the wreckers is gonna offer you an engine that needs an alternator and a bean can. And you have just enough for that.

There is no telling which way it may go. Be prepared. Unfortunately that means have some cash on hand for the deal that works.

I suppose you are working? Put a bit aside each payday. Take care of other stuff in the mean time so you have the extra time when needed to fix the bike.

The book; It was a great read back in 1975 or what ever it was when it first came out. It's probably still a great read but I don't think it will buy you a tank of gas. Buy neato book if you can spare the change. It used to be carried by some second hand book stores but haven't seen it on the shelves for some years.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #65
tbg OP
Bike Destroyer

Oddometer: 18
Well, I have two jobs, and am saving, but the money likely won't be enough to get an old R100 engine. Not judging by eBay prices at the moment. There are tons of cheap 1100 and 1200 engines though. What I would give for a larger engine mount!

The biggest issue is time. I'll be moving nine hours away for my masters in August. While I do have a sweet offer from the school, the stipend will basically cover living expenses. Unless I take on loads of extra work beyond class (which is a possibility) I doubt I'll be able to afford to pay for a garage, fuel for shipping the bike out, a new engine, etc... Whereas if I part bits off the bike now, I can afford a slightly nicer new bike to work on my riding, and have a radical project waiting for me after I graduate with a (hopefully) better paycheck.

It seems I'll need to remove the engine anyhow. I'm looking forward to tearing apart what is left of my burnt engine and seeing exactly what went wrong! I'll keep posting "progress" pictures in this thread in the meantime.
tbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #66
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,263
So then get another bike. And if that is the way you go then sell the wrecked bike whole. It takes time to run ads and package the parts and run to the post office everyday. Since time is what you are short on.

The 1100 and 1200 engines are not Airheads. There is more involved than just the size. They make more power than an Airhead but they also have their own problems.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote