User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
Tim OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Solo through France and Spain May 2013

Just back from a two week run through France and Spain.

Waiting for the ferry.

I found a road closed in France, trusted the GPS to get me around it and found myself on this track, wasn't a problem for me but wouldn't have been too impressed if I had been in a car - huuummm up hill on wet grass or wet chalk?!

Over the Pyrenees from France into Spain.

I stayed in Sort which is well known to some of the inmates here.

The river runs straight through the town.

Having unloaded and warmed up it was in to Town for some Tapas (photo included for Pumpy)

The next day - take off the luggage and go for a ride. Weather is much better in Spain!

Still found snow though.

And rocks

And sheep!

And even religion

I have ridden in this area several times before and have never found so much snow so far down the mountains at this time of year.

Having had a great day riding in bright sunshine I left Sort the next morning and on the ride over the mountains to La Seu d'Urgell the temperature was back down to 3 degrees

I met up with fellow inmate Jaumev at his house near to Vic and he took me riding for the day.

I stayed that night at Jaumev's house and the next morning I continued south and met up with Mrs Tim in Alicante for a week in the sun at a rented villa.

So followed a week of

and

and

and

On my way home across Spain I stopped at the small town of Belchite. It was destroyed in 1937 during the Spanish Civil War. After the war Franco ordered that the town should not be rebuilt and was left as a monument. A new Town was built next to the ruins of the old one.

And then onwards back across France to get the ferry at the port of St Malo.

(That's not my ferry!)

And so the sun set on another great trip.

It is a few years now since the last AdvRider meet in Sort, andy takers for next year maybe?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,208
Nice pics and report Tim, disappointed to see that you'd traded the Guernsey Climbing Slippers in for some Flip Flops. When did you get the S10?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
Nice one Tim
It's a wonder we didn't bump into each other !!!i was down the road at La Pobla de Segur off roading for a week .

And yes i'm up foran ADV do around Sort

Phil
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Tim OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Steve, I'm pleased to say that the Guernsey climbing slippers are still going strong but are now relegated to Guernsey Gardening slippers! I got the S10 towards the end of last year - this was my first decent trip on it and I am very pleased with how it went.

Small world Phil, I didn't see anyone on the trails apart from a telephone repair guy who was trying to get to one of his masts but couldn't get there due to the snow.

Must try to get a Sort "do" organised for next year
Old 06-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
tansinwalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Hi Tim,

Thank you for sharing, nice pictures

Best Regards
tansinwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 732
Nice one Tim when did you sneak that into the garage?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
Magnon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Looks like a great holiday Tim - snow in the mountains and swimming pool weather on the coast.

Are Guernsey registration numbers going in descending order, what happens when they get to zero?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Nice one Tim
It's a wonder we didn't bump into each other !!!i was down the road at La Pobla de Segur off roading for a week .

And yes i'm up foran ADV do around Sort

Phil
Yes Tim,

Phil's right - it looks like you were here about the same time, maybe a week later than the HISS to judge from the snow - did you manager to go right up to the refuge at Quatrepins? If you did you were lucky - it snowed in buckets up there again last night!!!

Great minds think alike department, here's me at Belchite on Thursday (June 6th) on my way back from mapping the next HISS rally in the mountains around Teruel. I can never pass Belchite without stopping, it's a very moving experience to visit isn't it! There are lots of eye witness reports in English as the International Brigade was in that battle.

And for folks who haven't been you get to go through the amazing os Monegros desert along the way :)

But the Javalambre mountain is worth a bigger detour.

If you come back to the Sort area again call in for a cup of tea, I live just down the road!

Regs

Simon

The Spanish Biker screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 05:19 AM
The Spanish Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
roastbeef82
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Nice report, I feel for you on those tyres in the snow! - Sort is not a million miles from me so I would be interested in a meet there now the weather has picked up ehh Phil in France and Simon Spanish Biker
Phil
Old 06-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef82 View Post
Nice report, I feel for you on those tyres in the snow! - Sort is not a million miles from me so I would be interested in a meet there now the weather has picked up ehh Phil in France and Simon Spanish Biker
Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm here at La Pobla pretty much all summer, so whenever you fancy a break just give me a call!

Regs

Simon
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
Hi RB Phil...........long time no see mate , hows things?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
potus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Nice report and photos, thanks for sharing!
potus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
Tim OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboneleg View Post
Nice one Tim when did you sneak that into the garage?
It arrived in September last year - I've got enough now that the Mrs hardly noticed "That old thing Love? No, it's not new, I've had it for ages, I'm sure you've seen it before!" It's a bit like they are with dresses or shoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnon View Post
Are Guernsey registration numbers going in descending order, what happens when they get to zero?
I've just had that number for a long time, we can transfer numbers to new vehicles for a fee of about £60.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Biker View Post
Yes Tim,

Phil's right - it looks like you were here about the same time, maybe a week later than the HISS to judge from the snow - did you manager to go right up to the refuge at Quatrepins? If you did you were lucky - it snowed in buckets up there again last night!!!

Great minds think alike department, here's me at Belchite on Thursday (June 6th) on my way back from mapping the next HISS rally in the mountains around Teruel. I can never pass Belchite without stopping, it's a very moving experience to visit isn't it! There are lots of eye witness reports in English as the International Brigade was in that battle.
I didn't get to the refuge, got blocked about 1 km from it I would guess.

I was glad to have visited Belchite, it had been on my list of things to do for some time. I must have left it a bit late though as I was disappointed to find that it was fenced off with lots of warning signs all over the place. I had read a number of reports about it being left open for people to wander around. Health and Safety I suppose, some of those buildings must be near to collapse now.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #14
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I didn't get to the refuge, got blocked about 1 km from it I would guess.

I was glad to have visited Belchite, it had been on my list of things to do for some time. I must have left it a bit late though as I was disappointed to find that it was fenced off with lots of warning signs all over the place. I had read a number of reports about it being left open for people to wander around. Health and Safety I suppose, some of those buildings must be near to collapse now.
That's not too surprising, the snow has been amazing this year - there's still four times as much as usual up there waiting to melt and meanwhile it's been raining buckets and spades, serious floods in Navarre and down the Ebro!

That's a shame about Belchite, did you go to the 'Entrance ' on the town side? That was open last October when Mrs s and I stopped there to explore. I know one gateway on the road side is closed as it's falling down too badly but the rest should still be open as is the site itself. I was in a hurry last week - being chased across the country by humungous thunderstorms! - and only took my few snappies from a distance.

Regs

Simon
Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Well I see you have a nice trip!!
It was great to meet you Tim, hope to see you soon in the Alps?

Some pics from our ride:

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote