User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,465
Tubed tire changing tips?

I've mounted my own tubeless tires for years and have all the tools and techniques down. However, I've never changed a tubed tire and am looking for tips. Tires and new tubes will be mounted on a DR650, if that makes any difference.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
I've mounted my own tubeless tires for years and have all the tools and techniques down. However, I've never changed a tubed tire and am looking for tips. Tires and new tubes will be mounted on a DR650, if that makes any difference.
youtube
Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Keep lotsa spare tubes around ... I suk. Fuk pinched another ... DOH!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
QSrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
The valve stem and don't pinch the tube.
As previously mentioned, youtube is loaded with good video.
Good luck.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Some good tips in the "How to" section even if you don't use their machine.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Articles.asp?ID=256
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
putting a little air in the tube when inserting it helps to prevent pinch flats...

a narrow strap or long zip tie through the axle hole will keep your bearing caps and sprocket/cush on the wheel so you don't fill everything with sand/mud on the side of the trail

ride the tire with very low pressure for a bit to warm it up and it will be much easier to break the bead on the side of the trail.

i turn my bead buddy on its side to hold the tire bead up off the rim when im fighting to insert the valve stem in the rim...it makes room for your hands. i use a valve threader but you still need to get your paws in there.

lots of talc.....Murphy's oil soap for lube....it wont leave behind a sticky mess for next time....or windex..i use that too.

there is no Spanish word for windex.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
This thread proved to be super helpful for me on my foray with changing tubes: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

I think the best advice from that is keeping the tube somewhat inflated while trying to mount the tire on the rim. I managed to pinch 2 tubes on my first try, which meant two humbling trips to the local shop to pick up replacements. They likely would have been avoided if I'd kept more air in the tubes.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Use some heavy duty zip ties and it is nearly impossible to pinch a tube, the tube is inflated just enough to round it out and placed in the tire first, then both beads are mounted at the same time. No need to cut the zip ties once the tire is on, the locking tab can be released w/ a small screwdriver, a knife, etc. so it can be reused. Learned this method on another thread here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597 and have mounted several tires easily and am completely sold on it. Some DR650 (supermoto) tire mounting photos....

victor441 screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 09:41 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,199
Practice, practice now.
Talc the tube. Lube the bead. Be sure no debris is in the tire. After the first bead is on, slip the stem in the hole, air the tube up just to get any wrinkles out, then let most of the air back out. Be sure the first bead installed is down in the center of the wheel when working the last bead on.
On dirt bike tubes, some guys leave the valve stem nut off so they can see if the tube is starting to spin when running low pressure.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Still like tire irons

Like the tie wrap method BTW . I ve changed thousands of motorcycle tires since 74 mainly because I made a living at it but one can always learn a new trick .. Recently did a ride with 9 fellow Adv Riders at Ricks Randevous and one rider picked up a nail in her rear tire. In minutes the bike was balanced on a pile of dirt and rear wheel removed . Broke the bead ,marked the hole pulled the nail . Inside of tire checked for foriegn mtter, new tube provided by nother rider, installed with a stem puller from another rider Tire levered back on re-inflated , There were four battery powerd compressors present . Wheel remounted and off we went. Maybe 20 minutes . My point I guess is ,it is always good to know how to more ion the trail than in your shop. Practice that . Change your glue yearly in your patch kit.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
Treedguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Zip tie trick looks awesome! Thanks.
Treedguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by veesquared View Post
My point I guess is ,it is always good to know how to more on the trail than in your shop. Practice that . Change your glue yearly in your patch kit.
^ This.

Practice changing a tube/fixing a tire with the tools you carry. Punctures don't always happen in the most convenient of places.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #13
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,030
I've never used the zip ties, but a sort of variation where I use C-clamps. The idea is to keep the beads together, and in the "well" in the center of the rim. The tube has to be inflated enough to round it out,too.
If you don't keep the beads in the center well of the rim, the amount of effort needed to lever the tire on increases dramatically, as do the chances of pinching the tube.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Most people seem to have a lot of trouble fishing the tube in. Avoid that completely by spooning one side of the the tire on, then spoon it right back off the other side of the wheel. So the rim is between both tire beads. Then easily put in the tube, rim lock, tighten the valve stem. Then finish mounting the tire. I spend way less time doing this than fighting the tube, especially a heavy duty one.
DaymienRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Taking the stock tires off your DR will probably be the toughest change you have to do on that bike. After that it isn't hard, particularly if you have one of those really long irons. I just changed from street to dirt tires today on my DR.

I think running UHD tubes for offroad toughness also offers the additional benefit of reducing newb-flats during install.

Find Neduro's tire changing thread for lots of good info.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote