User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #151
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 167
hodaka

Hi I found your ride report today.I read to Oklahoma then jumped to here when you are almost done I bought a 68 Ace 100 rode many mile around Colo Utah New Mexico I found a one tooth smaller front sproket gave more power @higher top speed. I carried the over lay sproket for serious mountain ridingI'm going back to Oklahoma now Loved that machine, and your ride report
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #152
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Fingers crossed - hopefully you can identify the problem and get the parts from your other bikes... Hodaka Days is around the corner.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #153
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Hope you get it fixed quick , so close to the 4,000 mark.
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #154
JackB1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101

Your picture of the bike partially disassembled for the purpose of chasing down obscure electrical gremlins gave me a flashback to my 2011 ride.

Persevere my friend!!!!

Jack Broomall
Bonneville 200mph Club, IBA #18825, previously diagnosed with Multiple Bike Disorder, yadda,yadda, yadda..
\www.2wheels4kids.com
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #155
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
great ride report

I don't know where I've been but I've never heard of these Hodaka bikes before! At a few months from 70 yrs. old it's not like I haven't been here awhile either. They seem to be a unique little out-fit. Thanks for a great RR.

Gary

Oldone screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 08:06 AM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #156
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,085
My first bike was a Hodaka 100, 1972. AND, I have ridden the western TAT. I hope you can make it!
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #157
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,486
ABee, wow that little Hodaka is really a champ! Its amazing that the motor is surviving what it takes to get you through the dust and up the mountains! I went through a lot of emotions while reading that last post, excitement, fear, compassion and jealousy! That is awesome to have your wife there for support and kudos to the SAR crew.
Ride On!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #158
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,425
Love the little Hodies . Had a friend ride one from Louisiana to British Honduras , now Belize, to work with a Doctor in the early '70's. What a feat!

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #159
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I am headed to Athena in the am for the pancake breakfast. Hope you make it in, what a ride! I'll be on the lookout for the rv and the Road Toad.

Ride safe, Scott.

PS- My college roommate has a ranch there in McDermitt, awesome country, though very hot today I am sure.

2005 Ducati MTS1000s
2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES
96ssportsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #160
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABee View Post

Graffiti on the cabin's wall.
Hey! I know that one less harley guy!!

Love a Hodaka. Keep it going, Abee!!!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #161
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
Days Twenty and Twenty-One

Reinstalling the old points ignition in Winnemucca- my only option.

Days Twenty and Twenty-One
Paradise Valley to the Desert west of Denio, NV
It was late by the time we drove into Winnemucca after being plucked out of the desert, so the most convenient thing to do was to camp in the WalMart parking lot with the RV. In the morning, I set about the task of swapping out the electronic ignition with the stock points unit. This was easy enough to do, but time consuming as I had to essentially re-wire the bike for the stock 6-volt charging system. This meant re-installing items like a regulator and rectifier, changing out all the bulbs and headlight and assorted wiring. I also installed a new set of points and condenser on the stator plate, which meant having to round-up a soldering iron. Again, not a big deal, but all of these things took time and it was obvious that there would be no way to get back on the trail today.
While I had the Toad innards strewn across the WalMart parking lot, people would stop by to chat. The conversation would usually start with the familiar “Gee, a Hodaka, I haven’t seen one of those in (fill in the blank) years!” One visitor was particularly interesting. His name was Nick Mitchell. Nick said that he was friends with Jim Pomeroy and rode with him back in the day. Nick invited me to check out his vintage bike collection there in town. He said, “Yep, you can’t miss my place. I have a boat-tailed Pursang mounted on a pole out in front!” Wow, this illustrates just how passionate some people are about old dirt bikes. I told Nick I would love to see his collection, but I would have to wait and stop by on the return trip. The people in Northern Nevada are great!
The next morning we trailered the Toad as close as we could get with the motorhome to the place where it had conked out two days previously. The plan was to stay on Highway 95 into McDermitt to test out the ignition before heading out across the remote desert to Denio, Nevada and finally to Cedarville, California. The ride out of Paradise Valley to McDermitt was uneventful. The bike seemed to run well, but there was a noticeable difference in power with the ancient points ignition. There are some people out there that will argue that a properly set-up points system will work as well as an electronic ignition on old motorcycles, but I am not among their number. They will say “Yeah, you can always open up or replace your points and easily get going again with the old ignitions, but when your electronic ignition fails, you are stuck (which I was)! However, old points ignitions on small dirt bikes were built with relatively cheap components and were problematic when they were new. They are certainly not going to become more reliable when they are decades older. Condensers fail. Source coils fail. Points burn. Knowing that I would have to travel through some of the most remote terrain on the TAT yet, the 35-year old points ignition did not exactly fill me with confidence. Yes, the electronic ignition failed (and it shouldn’t have), but it took nearly 4,000 tough miles to kill it.
The Toad seemed to running pretty well, but it worried me that the bike was noticeably down on power across the rev range with the old ignition. I was still moving down the road, it was just taking me longer to get there. McDermitt is a small town that straddles the Nevada- Oregon border. I just had to cross over into Oregon on the other side of town and snap a picture of the Toad in front of the sign on the state line. We may not make it to our final destination of Port Orford on the coast, but we did make it to Oregon!
After refueling in McDermitt, I headed out of town to the west. Soon, I was heading through the rocks and sage in very remote areas. The trail wound through the mountains, up ravines, over ridges, and down canyons until I was in the desert again. Denio lies in a small valley, and I could see the town miles away as I began my descent down the mountain. I would need to get fuel in Denio to get to Cedarville, California, which was 134 miles to the west. As I rolled up to the pumps there was a sign stating that they would have no fuel until their tanks were replaced in the spring. It was summer, and they still had yet to get their tanks replaced. Luckily, I had my 2 gallon emergency can in the RV full, and so using that with the fuel I still had in the Toad’s tank, I had just enough to make it to Cedarville without detours.
I was not the only one disappointed about the fuel situation. Jim and Tom arrived while we were having lunch in the restaurant. They wanted to do some side excursions off the TAT from Denio, but now might have to scale back with no fuel in town. Despite this, they were in good spirits and were excited about what they had been able to see and do since we saw them last in Baker. Jim mentioned that he had been checking the weather, and the forecast called for rain starting this evening and lasting over the next few days. With this information, I was eager to hit the trail and make it to Cedarville before the rain started falling.
I departed to the west, and after a few miles on Highway 140, the TAT turns to the southwest across the desert, then turns to the northwest into the mountains. I was on a steep ascent through a canyon on a narrow and rocky jeep trail trying to get up on a ridge, when the Toad sputtered and died. Again. Crap! I pulled out the plug, which looked good, and checked for spark. None. I replaced it with a new plug and checked for spark again. Nothing. I then opened up the ignition cover and looked to see if the points were closed, dirty, or wet. Nope, everything looked fine. Blast! It was time to see if I had cell phone coverage. Nope, not here. I looked at my GPS to see were the nearest road leading to civilization might be. Highway 140 was about 11 miles to the north, but I would have to walk over a mountain to get there. I then thought about the fact that I was still in Humboldt County, Nevada. There was NO WAY I was going to call Deputy Casey and tell him that I was stranded in his desert again. I would abandon the bike and walk out first! Then I saw it. “It” looked like a substantial dirt road winding through the valley below. I packed everything up, turned the Toad around, and coasted down the mountain trail. I coasted for miles. I lost momentum towards the bottom and had to push for some distance, but I made it to the road. This was a maintained dirt road covered with gravel and it looked like if I could tell Donna where I was, she could retrieve me. I then checked to see if I had cell coverage down here. I had one bar. It was enough. Luckily, Donna was in a coverage zone as well, I gave her my GPS coordinates, and she was on her way. What a relief! While I was waiting, a four-wheel drive pickup rolled up. It was a local man and his wife and dogs. They wanted to know if I needed any help. I told them that the cavalry was on the way, but I thanked them for stopping to check on me. They said that I was extremely lucky, as the ONLY place in this valley that had ANY cell phone coverage was the narrow sliver of land on the road that I now occupied. They wanted to know what I was doing out in the middle of the desert on an old motorcycle by myself. I told them, but I don’t think they were convinced that anyone would or could ride such a machine from eastern Tennessee. They listened politely to my story, wanted to know if I had food and water, wished me luck, and then slowly drove away.
A few hours later, I could see the dust cloud made by the motorhome as Donna approached. I was lucky this time. I hoped my luck would hold for just a few hundred more miles to the end of the trail. As we loaded the Toad on the trailer, the rain started to fall. We headed towards Lakeview, Oregon, the nearest town with the facilities we would need to hopefully get the Toad on the trail again. As we were headed down the dirt road, a rainbow appeared. Maybe tomorrow would be a better day.
151 miles coved today by the Toad. 3.4 gallons of gas and 14 ounces of injector oil. Another rescue and a dead ignition to diagnose and repair. 4,134 miles travelled to date.

Nick Mitchell, friend of Jim Pomeroy and vintage bike fan. Winnemucca, NV.
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #162
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Days Twenty and Twenty-One

Crossing the Oregon border at McDermitt

The lonely trail to Denio, NV

ABee screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 12:45 AM
Old 06-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #163
ABee OP
Near Normal

The trail between McDermitt and Denio, NV

The remains of an old homestead, near Denio, NV
Old 06-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #164
ABee OP
Near Normal

Is that a Hodaka? Open range cattle near Denio, NV.

Frontier justice. A rancher had killed and skinned a coyote, then hung the pelt on a fence where cattle were located. A warning to other coyotes?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #165
ABee OP
Near Normal

Sign on the gas pumps at Denio, NV.

I should have just enough fuel left to make it to Cedarville.