User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #166
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
Photos, Days Twenty and Twenty-One

Jim and Tom with their XR Hondas at Denio, NV.

Is that a Hodaka? Wild burros checking out the Toad west of Denio, NV.
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #167
ABee OP
Near Normal

The Toad dies again! The jeep trail of doom between Denio and Cedarville.

The road in the valley that I coasted back to. Saint Donna to the rescue. Notice rainbow in the background. A good omen?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #168
ABee OP
Near Normal

Closeup of the "rainbow of hope."
Old 06-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #169
ABee OP
Near Normal

WECSOG, yokesman, westerlywinds, bymbie, Hawk62cj5, Oldone, rufus, RideDualSport.com, achesley- Thanks for the comments!

harwaregrrl- It's a small world, is it not? (Except when you are stranded in a remote desert, then it seems VERY big!)

96ssportsp- Hope to meet you at breakfast.

JackB1- We may get kicked out of the Hodaka Club for posting such pictures! I love it!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #170
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,631
awesome trip!
my 1st bike was an ace 90. Lots of good memories on it.
I hope you get the ignition sorted & can finish!

I'm hittin the TAT in august, so am watching the reports so I know what to expect. I'll be on a harley, so I'll be doing it a bit more slowly

Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #171
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,063
Great adventure so far! Even the cattle and burros know when something odd comes through the neighborhood. Is that a Hodaka? LOL.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #172
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 673
Seriously enjoying your ride report. Hope you find the problem and get going. Just for what it's worth, my Yamaha WR broke down between Battle Mountain and Mcdermitt and it was only 5 years old at the time. I think there's some bad mojo in that stretch. Oh yeah, that's where Rufus rode through the [closed] barb-wire gate too.
Looking forward to the rest.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #173
ABee OP
Near Normal

Days Twenty-Two and Twenty-Three

Heading out into the rain, Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge, NV

Days Twenty-Two and Twenty-Three
22-Lakeview, Oregon
23-Sheldon Wildlife Refuge, NV to Cedarville, CA
The weather forecast for the next few days was not good. A front was moving through off the Pacific, and there would be heavy rain and high winds for at least the next two, if not three days. It had rained hard on us driving into Lakeview the night before, but today was even worse. The rain came down in torrents from the leaden skies, with the winds gusting between 30 and 40 mph. Just walking out of the motorhome was an ordeal, as the wind caught the door and tried to rip it from the hinges. However, I was determined to repair the ignition on the Toad today even if I could not ride in this weather. I positioned the bike on the side of the camper that was sheltered by the wind. The wind was blowing so hard, it created a type of tunnel effect on the leeward side of the RV which kept me from getting soaked as I worked on the dead Hodie. It did not take me long to trace the problem to a bad ignition switch. I simply bypassed the bad ground in the switch, and Mr. Toad was running once again. Even though the bike was repaired and I had most of the day in front of me, riding in this weather was out of the question. I decided to get some rest and watch the weather reports so I could plan for tomorrow. Lakeview seemed like a nice place. The people in town were very friendly, and there were hot springs near the RV park where we camped, but the weather kept us from doing much sightseeing.
The next morning it was still raining, although not quite so hard and the wind had slacked off some. It was still not going to be an enjoyable day to ride, but since I was falling behind in my schedule, I decided to pull on the rainsuit and give it a try. We trailered the bike from Lakeview back to near the place it had quit in the desert two days ago. By this time, the wind had picked back up. It was still raining when I departed, but it was not steady, instead it would come in spurts, some of which were quite heavy. I was a little worried about heading out into the remote Nevada desert in a rainstorm given the ignition system’s track record over the last few days. All things considered, this was not a good decision, but I was somewhat obsessed with getting some mileage in today. A few miles after I departed, I began to regret my choice. It began to rain harder, and standing water began to form on the road. The road itself became extremely muddy, and the Toad struggled to make forward progress against the mud, rain and strong headwind. A few miles later, the rain was coming down so hard I could barely see the trail. At this point, I turned around. It was silly riding in these conditions, and I was just asking for trouble. I rode for a few miles toward my starting point where Donna would be parked for a while longer, and I hoped to catch her before she left. There was no cell phone reception in this area, so I could not call her to tell her to wait. If I missed her, I would have to wait in the rain until she could get into an area with reception and check my Spot Locator page and see that I had turned around. After a few more miles, the rain began to let up a bit. I looked over my shoulder and the sky looked a little lighter back toward the west. The Toad seemed to be running well, despite the fact that it was now coated in mud from the trail. Of course, we were now running downhill with the wind, so this was really a bit of an illusion. I then thought about the 100+ mile drive back to Lakeview, and how I would have to do this all over again either tomorrow or the next day, so I turned back around and pointed the nose of the Toad uphill into the teeth of the wind again.
Progress was slow and the Toad was working hard to make it up the steep and muddy grades. I wondered if I had traveled far enough west to get out of Humboldt County and into Washoe County, which bordered California? As I travelled through Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge, I saw many signs pointing to old ranches, lakes and other points of interest, but I was too cold and wet to be motivated to stop for a moment in these places and snap a few photos. Maybe next time. The only thing that I cared about at that time was Mr. Toad’s forward momentum.
I had travelled nearly all the way across the country on the TAT, and had only seen one or two bikes on the trail headed in the opposite direction. Today, in the rain, I saw another one. Just before the California border, a rider on a KLX 300 emerged from the gloom. He was moving slowly, like he was searching for a turn or something. I waved. He just kept both hands on the bars and disappeared into the mist heading to the east.
Before dropping down into the Surprise Valley and Cedarville, it began to rain hard once again. This time, it was coming down in buckets. In the south, we sometimes call rainstorms with such intensity “toad or frog stranglers.” No kidding. At first, Mr. Toad did not seem to mind, splashing through the water with a happy brapping sound coming from the tailpipe. However, just two miles from Cedarville, the Hodie began to pop, buck and sputter. It was all I could do just to keep it running. With the throttle pinned in first gear, we were going just a little faster than walking speed. Not a grand entrance into the Golden State, to be sure, but we made it into town and I found an overhang and bench in front of a closed storefront. I worked at drying everything off- coil wires, connections, plug cap, and made sure there was no water under the magneto cover. The bike would start up after this attention, but it would not run off of idle. Maybe it had become so wet, it would take more time to dry out. Either that, or I had another problem with the ignition. Either way, I was not going to be able to fix it in the rain with the few tools that I carried with me. I called Donna to come and pick me up. There was no way now that I would be able to finish up the TAT before the start of Hodaka Days. We made the decision to go from Cedarville to Hodaka Days in Athena, have a good time there, and then finish up the TAT immediately afterwards. Besides, I thought I might be able to find enough ignition parts at the swap meet in Athena to repair the bike and get back on the trail.
Only 76 miles travelled today. 1.8 gallons of fuel and 9 ounces of injector oil burned. The Toad’s ignition is dead again, but he did get me back to civilization. On to Hodaka Days!

Here comes some heavier rain, Washoe County, NV
Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #174
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Days Twenty-Two and Twenty-Three

Interesting rock formations near the California border, Washoe County, NV

Heading in to Surprise Valley, close to the California border.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #175
ABee OP
Near Normal

Leaving Nevada......

And entering California. Near Cedarville, CA
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #176
ABee OP
Near Normal

Seeking shelter from the storm. Cedarville, CA, after the "Toad Strangler."
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #177
ABee OP
Near Normal

rtwdoug- If you went around the world on a '48 Indian, the TAT should be doable for you on a Harley. At least you will have plenty of power for the high passes and grades! Looking forward to your ride report.

dickosaurus- I almost hit a few of the gates myself in areas where the brush was as high as the fence. I could not see the gates until I was right on top of them. On one stretch, I noticed two gates down where people had run through them.

trailrider383- Thanks for the comments.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #178
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Perseverance! There is a sign in my living room that I salvaged from
the old rifle range on the now defunct Camp Matthews that reads
"MARCH FACING TRAFFIC", I prefer to interpret it as "Against the Flow".

That is exactly what this RR is about. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #179
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 464
Most excellent RR--Thank you for the interesting read.

A TAT ride isn't the real deal without some struggles, right?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #180
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,631
have fun at hodaka days! Im sure you'll have it all straightened out then you can finish the TAT!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote