User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #196
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 357
1978 Hodaka 125

In 1978 I bought a Hodaka 125. No flashy name associated with this simple little trail bike. It had an orange/red tank with block letters in yellow spelling out Hodaka with the Hodaka trademark symbol imbedded in the "O". Classic instruments, turn signals and round chrome tool box under the rear rack. At the time, my oldest son who was an infant at the time was learning how to speak. His first word was "daddy" and his second word was "daka"! He would run around saying, Daddy, daka daka indicating that he wanted me to sit him on the bike. What model did I own? I remember reading about the Ace 90 in magazines in high school, but don't really know what I owned other than a standard 125cc Hodaka? Bought new in a little shop in Easton, PA for about $600 that little bike was a blast to ride the local trails with and commute to work with, even though it was prone to overheating and ceasing the piston.
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #197
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Kawikazi - Based on your description, it was a Hodaka Wombat 03 model, like the one pictured here. Every Hodaka had a "fancy" name and a cartoonish air filter cover.

My son is 10 months old and I'm restoring a Wombat 03 this winter. We will see what happens when he starts speaking...

Old 07-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #198
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 357
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bymbie View Post
Kawikazi - Based on your description, it was a Hodaka Wombat 03 model, like the one pictured here. Every Hodaka had a "fancy" name and a cartoonish air filter cover.

My son is 10 months old and I'm restoring a Wombat 03 this winter. We will see what happens when he starts speaking...

That is exactly my bike! I wonder if I could find one to restore? My son now lives in Silverthorne, Colorado and rides a Kawasaki KLX-250 on the trails and has a somewhat vintage KX-125 as a play bike. I am sure that little Hodaka hooked him on off road motorcycles.
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #199
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Super ride report! When I was in my teens, I remember a neighbour used to buzz the forest- and power line trails outside down on a Hodaka. I thought it was such a cool bike. We'd sometimes meet on-trail, me on my bicycle. We'd mutually hoist our front wheels in salute. Great memory.

Looking forward to the next installment!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #200
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
Day 27

Leaving Cedarville, CA

Day 27
Cedarville, CA to Crescent, OR
We had driven down to Cedarville from Athena the night before so I would have the opportunity for an early start. We had camped in the state park campground in the Warner Mountains west of town the night before and so only had few miles to drive into town that morning. I was looking forward to getting back in to my routine, and was hoping to finish three legs of the ride today, which was about 240 miles. At this point, I still had little confidence in my stator, which was pieced together from parts that were all 35 years old (with the exception of the points). Of course, I really did not have much of a choice except to take the risk, as it would have taken too long to wait on the shipment of another electronic ignition. In the morning before departure, I decided to re-jet the bike for the lower altitudes as well as swap out the exhaust pipe for the one on the spare Toad. The reason for the pipe swap was that I felt that the original exhaust was becoming clogged with oil and carbon, and I really did not have the time to burn off the residue and scrape it clean (as I did back in Colorado).
Once on the trail, it was obvious that the Toad was running MUCH better. It was breathing well through the new pipe, and the richer jetting complimented the increased oxygen that it was getting at the lower elevations. The little Hodie was cruising down the road out of Cedarville at 55 mph with ease. As I neared Ft. Bidwell, the TAT left the pavement and headed west across the Warner Mountains through Fandango Pass. The pass is a convergence of the Applegate and Lassen Trails and was used heavily by emigrant pioneers heading to either the gold country in California or to the Oregon Territories between 1846 and 1853. Today, it gives you a spectacular view of Upper Alkali Dry Lake and the Surprise Valley. The road up the pass is steep, but with its new vigor, the Toad hopped right over.
The western side of the pass winds down to Goose Lake, an alkaline glacial lake that extends from California into Oregon. From here, it was a short ride to Lakeview, Oregon, where I topped off with fuel and headed back to the northwest. Shortly after turning off of Highway 395 north of Lakeview and getting back into the dirt, I had my first (of many) issues with locked gates on the TAT in Oregon. What seemed at first to be a public road was in fact a private one that crossed through a large ranch. The rancher had run two strong wire cables through an old cattle gate on the road. The cables were locked with padlocks and there was no way to get around. I had to backtrack to the road and head back to the north until I found another road heading back to the west allowing me to intercept the TAT on the other side of the ranch property. Little did I know that this would soon become a theme for my travels in Oregon- locked gates and detours.
The trail out of Lakeview took me into the Gearhart Mountain Wilderness Area of Freemont National Forest. Most of the riding here is on groomed dirt and gravel forest service roads, and I could buzz along at a good clip. There were only a few detours off of the main service roads down rocky trails. The smaller roads typically had cattle gates, which slowed my progress further at times. By far the biggest obstacles were created by the logging that was taking place in the area. On the smaller roads where logging was or had taken place, there was lots of debris on the trail such as branches and brush. In addition, I had to be careful of the ruts that were left behind by the trucks and equipment. Even though this was Sunday, the loggers were still in the woods earning a living. There were several places where large machines loading logs on to trucks were in the middle of the road, and I had to wait for a gap in the action to get through.
Eventually, the trail dropped out of the mountains to the high desert town of Silver Lake on Highway 31. I filled the Toad’s tank here and met Donna for a late lunch. The trail north out of Silver Lake headed through the desert down rough jeep trails full of sharp rocks as well as through sandy washes with deep ruts. This was the most challenging riding of the day so far. The trail then headed back to the west and began to climb back into another segment of Fremont National Forest. The trails here were not so well maintained, with lots of ruts, holes and debris. When I climbed to the top of the highest ridge to start my descent into Crescent, the TAT followed a trail that looked like it had not been used or maintained in years. (With the exception of two bike tracks- maybe Jim and Tom on the trail a day or two ahead of me?)There was a type of flowering shrub that was growing in the middle of the trail that was often two to three feet high, and I had to stop multiple times to clear branches from these shrubs from between my rear brake pedal and frame as they locked up my rear brake. This could get exciting, especially when the trail became steep. Even a small bike like the Toad does not have much directional control with the rear brake locked up going downhill.
It was on this trail that something hiding in the shadows got me. I always try to be on the lookout for the large rock, stump, ditch or hole barely visible in the shadows made by the trees and brush on the side of the trail. This time, however, I did not see anything at all. I just heard a loud crash, the Toad deflected to the left and my right foot was thrown off the footpeg by the impact. Pain shot up from my big toe. When I got the Toad under control, I had to stop and pound the right footpeg back down. The collision with the stump or rock jammed it into the full folded position, despite the pressure of the return spring. I was afraid to take off my boot and look at my big toe just yet. Even if it was broken, there was nothing I could do for it. I would ice it down when I finished the day’s ride.
When the Toad rolled into the RV park in Crescent at the end of the day, we had covered 248 miles. Not a bad comeback for the slime green machine. 6.2 gallons of gas, 25 ounces of injector oil and one swollen big toe. There was still some fight left in us yet. 4,458 miles traveled to date.

Upper Alkali Lake in the Surprise Valley from Fandango Pass.
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #201
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day 27

At the top of Fandango Pass.

Goose Lake on the horizon.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #202
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day 27

Logging equipment in the road. Fremont National Forest, OR.

Dairy Creek, Fremont National Forest.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #203
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day 27

Back in the desert, near Silver Lake, OR.

The beginning of Flowering Brush, or Swollen Toe Trail, near Crescent, OR.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #204
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,233
I am enjoying the ride!

The opening and closing gates brings back memories, but I do not remember locked gates.

http://www.arra-access.com/site/PageServer
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #205
ABee OP
Near Normal

One Less Harley- Did you see the picture of your group's graffti on the wall of the homesteader's cabin in Nevada? That creek crossing was a surprise, wasn't it?

rtwdoug- No room on the pickup or trailer! I race three classes in the MX and Donna races two for a total of 5 bikes. I need a bigger trailer!

kawikazi- I guess bymbie has enlightened you on the 03 Wombat. Hodaka fans love that bike. It is similar to the Toad except for the bore and stroke, bigger front forks, and a longer swingarm and better shocks. Some think it is one of the best bikes Hodaka made.

Trane Francks- Thanks for the comments.

Critic- More information on the locked gates and private land issues coming up.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #206
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Thanks for a great ride report ! I remember as a kid drooling over Hodakas . Only rich kids had them as far as my buddies and I thought . My hat is off to you for doing the TAT on one , that age and displacement . Happy trails !
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #207
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
So how was the toe at the end of the day?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #208
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABee View Post
One Less Harley- Did you see the picture of your group's graffti on the wall of the homesteader's cabin in Nevada? That creek crossing was a surprise, wasn't it?

yep..I had thought twice about vandalizing the cabin walls....but was glad I did as sometimes people post up that picture and reminds me of our fiasco at that part of the TAT. Was the water low before the cabin???
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #209
brightballs
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thumb

Great report. This past sat while riding in the Yamaha/AMA national adventure riding series near west Point , tn. we ran into a guy from oregon . He was riding the TAT by himself on a honda trail 90. He was loaded down with all his stuff and was a sight to behold. Here I was on my fancy GS and he on an old trail 90. You could say he was my hero. He left oregon a month ago and was headed for Telico Plains , Tn. Good luck . Scott
brightballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #210
Steve Lewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
ct 90

The guy you talked to was most likely Casey Miller. He was one of five who where riding ct 90s. Casey was the only one to make it. You can read there ride report in the ride report section. I have purchased the bike from him to help him get back home and it is for sell. Have a good trip back home Casey.

Sorry for the report robing. Am loving your ride report. Would like to hear from the wife and her side of this adventure. I am looking to ride the TAT starting late August and the wife is thinking of making a trip of it also. Maybe catching up with me somewhere around Colorado. Good job and am waiting for more.

Steve Lewis screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 04:47 PM Reason: add appolagy
Steve Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote