User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #271
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
Hi Andy - GREAT RR.
It was really cool catching up with you. Ironic that I am writing this right as the ebay auction is ending on my OSSA racers.

And with that said; I so much enjoyed your comments about the vintage motorcycle scene. Very well put and really spoke to me.

I hope my vintage bikes goes to a home that would be as good as the one you would give them. So get busy bidding LOL!!

Also gotta let you know I was looking a a newer KTM. Instead I'll save the $ and use it for when I ride my '77 TT500 on the TAT. You ready to go again?
Lee Allison
Bryson City NC

ps. only 4 minutes left on the auction
Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #272
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
YeeHaw Andy!!!!!

My OSSA Stilettos are going to a good home. Thanks and congrats on the winning bid.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #273
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
How did I miss this RR when it was being written?!!!!

And, I actually just to the part where your electric system died a second time in NV. Wanted to comment here about how impressive your Donna is. Just give her GPS coordinates, and she figures a way to get a motorhome and trailer to that point in the middle of nothing. That's great.

My first motorcycle, a Christmas gift at 8 years old, was a used Hodaka. Man I loved that motorcycle, and what it did for me. It was an Ace 100 engine tucked into a Stene(sp?) 80 frame, or so I remember it being. Thing was stolen. The replacement was a used Hodaka 125 motocross bike, and again what a great bike. The clutch finally destructed in the early '80s, and I could not find parts. Life was also taking me in different directions about then, so I put the 125 in storage in one of the old barns on the back of the family farm. Years later, when the Internet came around, making finding Hodaka parts possible, I discovered the 125 had been stolen from the barn. Hope whoever has it has taken good care of it, but probably didn't. Only had two vehicles stolen from me, and they were both Hodakas.

Thanks for letting me go down memory lane. Now back to NV, and your second electrical problem.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #274
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
Ossa Stilettos

Lee,
First of all, it was great to see you again! It was also fun sitting on your porch with the great view of the mountains catching up on things since I saw you last. Donna and I enjoyed the ride up there as well as the visit very much. You and your wife are great hosts. I am glad to hear that you are not getting out of the vintage racing entirely. I hope to see you on the starting line again someday!
I feel lucky to have inherited your Ossas. Your MXer will be a definite upgrade to the Stiletto that I have been campaigning! I still am a little nervous about racing the dirt track Stiletto in the brakeless class, however! I hope I can used to getting the front end down further in the corners eventually. Thanks again for all of the extra parts you included with the bikes. I will definitely put these to good use.
I am glad you were inspired to ride your TT500 on the TAT after reading the RR. Knowing how much you like to tool around on your "rat" Burgman scooter, I know you will have a blast on the old Yamaha when you hit the trail.
As I mentioned, I plan to take the Toad on the Trans Eastern Trail as well as finish the new TAT route through your home state of North Carolina. I would be great if you had the time to join me on these rides. Keep in touch!

Andy

On my other Stiletto racing in Oregon in August. Reese Dengler photo.

ABee screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 05:57 PM
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #275
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
Steens Hodaka

Boatpuller,

I hope you enjoy the RR. It was cool that you once owned a Steen's Hodaka. John Steen marketed synthetic oil in the 50's and 60's that was formulated by his father, a chemist that worked for Standard Oil. He was an off-road rider and later branched out into manufacturing parts for go-karts and motorcycles. He eventually marketed the "Taco" mini-bikes and later a series of Hodaka-powered motorcycles that were very popular with the desert racers due to their quality components such as Ceriani forks and shocks. Steen's Hodakas are highly sought after by collectors today.
Of course, Donna had a huge role in the Hodaka TAT adventure on all levels. I am very lucky to be married to a fellow dirt bike enthusiast! I was also impressed (and very relieved not to have to call the Humboldt County Nevada SAR team again) that she was able to navigate to the point where she rescued me outside of Denio. It is amazing what you can do with a smartphone when you have reception!

Donna racing her 1974 Hodaka Super Combat 125.
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote