Find the Toad! Near Lake Tansi
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
Day Three

Bell Buckle, TN Can you see the road?
Bell Buckle was named for a warning the Indians gave to encroaching settlers. According to legend, Indians had carved a cowbell and a buckle (their symbols for the settlers) into a tree trunk near a creek in the area. The creek was named Bell Buckle, and the town that grew up near the creek took the same name. Today it is the home of the Webb School, a prestigious prep school founded by a civil war veteran by the same name. Today the town is also a tourist attraction with Victorian homes and the requisite boutique shops. We had camped at Old Stone Fort State Park, and were on the way back to where I had left off on the TAT the day before when the skies opened up. Thunder, lightning and torrential rain. We were under a severe thunderstorm warning as well as a flood warning. There was no way to ride in these conditions; I was just going to have to wait it out. The rain was heavy until around 1 pm, when it finally subsided. I hit the road with standing water everywhere; I just took it easy and tiptoed through the flooded areas. Again, this segment of the TAT is nearly all pavement. There are a few nice dirt roads as you get close to Adamsville in the Tennessee River area. The terrain changes from foothills to more of a pastoral patchwork of farms and farming communities and then back into the lowlands and swamps around the Tennessee River. You also go through some Amish farming communities. Many of the Amish seemed interested in the motorcycle as many looked up from what they were doing to wave to me. Of course, being on the TAT, they probably see bikes all the time. TAT navigators must be behaving themselves as they ride through this area, based on the reception I received. (Just a guess.) You would not believe how fast the Amish horses can trot while they are pulling those buggies! (Or maybe it just seems that way on the Toad!) The Toad is still running well so far after the oil pump scare the day before. I don’t feel good unless a small bore two stoke is getting at least 32 to one to that big end bearing.
I have been riding about 8 hours a day and then I service the bike and tend to domestic chores, so I have been behind in my posts. I hope to get caught up soon. Thanks for all of the comments and encouragement. (Thanks again for planting the seed, Jack!)
242 miles, five gallons of gas, 12 oz of oil through the pump and another 10 ounces mixed in the gas.
Camping in Adamsville, Tennessee, the home of Buford Pusser. (Or so the water tank in town says.)

The roads outside Bell Buckle, after the storm.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
ABee OP
Near Normal

Day Three Photos

Campbell Station, TN

Watch out for the slick algae that grows on the concrete creek beds that cross the road!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
ABee OP
Near Normal

Day Three Photos

How good is your waterproofing?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
Aeroscott
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Eureka

Hey, My name is Scott, I'm from Eureka, I remember Fred Villipoto's shop in Eureka, I had a friend whos brother raced a Husky sponsored by Fred, very cool that this bike used to be his, I was a year or two younger than Danny (Ryans Dad) and see a lot of Dannys riding style in Ryan, you are doing a great job so far, looking forward to more.
Aeroscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #23
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Great , I love small bike RRs . So far enjoying your RR and pics .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,460
Congratulations on the start of your TAT adventure! What your doing is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! Your keeping the Hodaka spirit alive and keeping the adventure real.
Be safe, I look forward to more!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #25
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Epic,Epic,Epic What a great undertaking. Started on an Ace 90 many years ago. Great bikes. The saying was Hodaka's have 3 inches of travel in the shocks & 4 inches of travel in the seat You will never forget this ride. The best of luck the rest of the way.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
SilverFaux
never satisfied

Oddometer: 131
Awesome!

Sub'd
"We should all be riding the bike that puts the biggest smile on our face. Fast, slow, heavy, light, 1cyl, 2cyl, 3cyl, 4cyl, 6cyl, American mfg., Japanese mfg., European mfg., it's all good if it makes you smile, no?" - Roadscum
And if not,
SilverFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #27
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
ABee is the same guy who once drove a Cessna 152 from North Georgia to SoCal. And back. Thus, he has a history of this sort of insanity, although the airplane was a little faster than the Toad...but not much.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #28
ABee OP
Near Normal

Day Four

The Toad in it's natural habitat, a Mississippi swamp.

After a late arrival in Adamsville, we did not have the energy to look for an RV park or campground. The parking lot at Walmart was handy, so we decided to crash there. Like in many small towns, the kids considered the Walmart parking lot to be a great gathering place. It was fun to watch them scatter when police patrols arrived about every 30 minutes, only to return moments after the patrol car left. They did not bother us, fellow squatters that we were. In the morning I changed the tranny oil in the Toad after the first 600 miles. The Bel-Ray gear oil started life colored red, but as the new clutch plates wore in, the oil had turned to black. Riders of small bore bikes know that our left toes (shift lever) and left fingers (clutch lever) are VERY active participants in any ride. As I serviced the bike in the parking lot, I soon had an audience. Two fellows in particular seemed to be excited to see a living Hodaka again. “Wow, a Hodaka. I have not seen one of those for about thirty years! And now I am looking at three!” and “I used to have an Ace 100, my brother had a Super Rat!” This was a reoccurring theme. People connect to these bikes because it brings back so many memories. The Toad may be old, slow and homely, but it will be the bike people will gravitate to and want to talk about. It has certainly been a great ice-breaker on this trip for me. I have met several interesting people simply because they wanted to look at and ask questions about the bike.
The ride today from Adamsville, Tennessee to Sardis, Mississippi was enjoyable. I was treated to many more dirt roads than in the previous days. It had rained recently along my route, so there was almost no dust. I saw little traffic on these back roads, only the occasional rural postman, farmer in a pickup, or UPS delivery truck. Oh, and lots of wildlife. Wild turkeys, hawks, raccoons, armadillos, and of course, deer were everywhere. Even though I am on a slow bike, I have nearly nailed Bambi a couple of times on this trip already. Many times you can see the deer on the side of the road. Other times, they will just sprint out in front of you unseen from the brush. Scary stuff.
Sardis, Mississippi is a farming community that has seen more prosperous days. We ate catfish in a restaurant downtown. The people were very gracious and friendly, like most people we have met on the trip. We camped at John Kyle State Park at Lake Sardis. The people camped next to us sent their kids over to invite us to dinner. They had caught a bunch of catfish and had plenty to spare. Bad timing on our part, having eaten earlier, but I just love that Southern hospitality.

Good ole red Mississippi dirt, now this is more like it!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #29
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Four

Leaving Adamsville, TN

Fine cuisine, Sardis, MS
Old 06-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #30
ABee OP
Near Normal