Old 06-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #77
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
Day Ten

Tumbleweeds and sand west of Liberal, KS

Day Ten
Liberal, KS to Trinidad, CO
It was going to be a long haul today, dipping back into Oklahoma, cutting through the northeastern corner of New Mexico, and finally into Colorado. The winds had died down, and the temperatures were forecast to be around 8 degrees cooler than the previous day. West of Liberal, I was back riding on “the grid” across the Oklahoma Panhandle. These were mostly through farm and ranch land, but there were the occasional desolate sand, brush and tumbleweed sections as well. I had to work the little Toad’s clutch hard through some of the deeper sand, and had to stop more than once to remove the tumbleweeds that stuck to the bike. Scattered along side of the trail were numerous large water pumping machines for the fields that were cultivated. I was shocked when I passed by the first one. They are so incredibly loud; I thought I was being buzzed by some sort of aircraft! They are powered by what looks like large V-8 engines with open header pipes. I guess there are few people out here to complain.
The TAT has an interesting little twist (literally) just outside of Elkhart, KS on this leg. In drier farming areas, crops are often watered by large overhead sprinklers that travel in a circular pattern from the center of the field. The TAT is routed around the perimeter of one of these types of fields. I would have thought I was lost, wandering aimlessly through the middle of alfalfa field if the GPS had not told me differently.
In Boise City, Oklahoma, it was time to re-jet the carburetor on the Toad. The elevation here was about 4,000 feet, so it was necessary to drop the main jet from a 160 to a 150 to get Mr. Toad running cleanly again.
West of Boise City, I finally passed into New Mexico on the Santa Fe Trail. I truly felt like I had made it to the western portion of the country as I gazed on the red sandstone mesas and passed through numerous horse and cattle ranches. The antelope crossing the road became more numerous, and I watched in amazement as they would fall to their knees and skid under the fences from a full gallop like a baseball player sliding into home plate.
People who live on isolated dirt roads and see little traffic have a tendency to park in the middle of the road at times. It can get exciting when Mr. Rancher, who is off doing a chore, parks his dually in the middle of a blind corner. This happened to me twice in this segment.
There are no gas stations in route between Boise City and Trinidad. This is over 160 miles. The Toad made do with an extra 2 gallon can bungeed to the rear rack.
Today the Toad traveled 301 miles, burned 6.2 gallons of gas, and 23 ounces of injector oil. The Rockies loom in the distance and we will see if the Toad is up to the task.

Ring around the circular field, near Elkhart, KS
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #78
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Ten

Abandoned farmhouse, near Keyes, OK

Somebody has a long way to come for their mail, near Boise City, OK
Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #79
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Ten

Rejetting the Toad, Boise City, OK

Water pumps powered by dragster motors, near Boise City, OK
Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #80
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Ten

Toad of the West, Northeastern New Mexico

Near Folsom, New Mexico
Old 06-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #81
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Ten

You just have to do it, don't you? Near Branson, CO
Old 06-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #82
socalhodaka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Andy, this is awesome. Ride on brother.
socalhodaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #83
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
I think those pump motors are big block Ford engines, the 385 (named for their 3.85" stroke) aka Lima block series that includes the 429 and 460. There used to be a lot of those in northern Texas too, but last time I went through there they all seemed to have been replaced with electric pumps.
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #84
COBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Checking his "spot" looks like a long day with lots of elevation. Go Toad!
COBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #85
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Very unique....

Thanks for a very unique RR. I never did know much about these little bikes and it's sure interesting to read about them here. I'd love to have the chance to go for a little ride on one.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #86
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,622
Outstanding!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #87
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,110
Great report

I like that you've slowed down and are smelling the roses. Thanks for sharing.

My father taught me this one....
AB,CDLFN? LMNOLFN. OSARALFN.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #88
ABee OP
Near Normal

Days Eleven and Twelve

Bob and Andy service the Toad

Days Eleven and Twelve
Colorado Springs and Denver
Before I started on my journey, I had made arrangements to visit my friends Bob Garner and Candy Seaton in Colorado Springs. Bob is an avid vintage racer as well as off-road rider. I met Bob years ago at a vintage motocross race in Colorado. We discovered that I now live in his original hometown of Rome, Georgia. Small world, isn’t it? Bob offered to let me use his well-equipped garage to service the Toad on my journey, which was a huge help as the Toad would need a few things after over 2,000 miles on the trail. I planned to replace my tires and tubes, brake shoes, kick-start return spring, the carb to airbox boot (which was developing dry rot cracks) and headlight. I would also need to re-jet for altitude and re-gear for the mountains. I planned to remove the cylinder and de-carbon the head and exhaust port. While the cylinder was off, I would measure the clearance between the piston and cylinder as well as the ring-end gap. In the event that I needed to freshen up the top-end, I had Bob line-up a machinist to bore the cylinder on short notice. I also had the Hodaka parts suppliers, Paul Stannard and Bill Cook, ship the needed parts to Bob’s address. Both men did a great job getting the parts to Colorado before my arrival.
After arriving at Bob’s from Trinidad, we set about our work on the Toad. After a quick pressure wash, the bike was on the work table and we removed the cylinder. When we first looked at the piston, rings and cylinder liner, all was good. All of these parts were still serviceable despite the Toad having been run virtually wide-open for the last ten days. However, the rod had too much play. The big end as well as the little end bearings on the rod were loose! Drat! The oil pump fiasco on the second day had damaged the engine. I decided to go ahead and install a new oversize piston and rings and replace the piston pin and bearing. I did not have a rod kit and related parts (or enough time to rebuild the bottom end on the road), so there was nothing I could do for the big end at this time. I hoped that a tight new top end would help reduce the strain on the bottom end, and somehow the Toad might go the distance.
The local machinist that Bob had lined-up to bore the cylinder did not pan out, so he called a friend in the Denver area, John Sawazhki, to see if he knew anyone that could do the job on short notice. John had made arrangements with a local shop in Denver, Pro Motosports, to have us drop the cylinder off at their machinist. We would then go back to the shop later that day and pick it up. John is the go-to guy to help make things happen on short notice! I remembered John from vintage racing. I always admired the cool twin-pipe CZs that he rode in the Classic classes. While we waited on the cylinder, we went over to John’s and he took us on a tour of his home and garage. At one time, John had hundreds of restored vintage bikes in his huge garage. Today, he only has two; a pristine Monark 500 and an immaculate Husky Viking four speed. John also has an impressive fleet of modern KTM and Aprilia off-road and supermoto bikes that are in the place his vintage collection used to occupy. He also has a deluxe shop that any modern motorcycle shop would be proud to own. John still has an amazing motorcycle memorabilia collection: toys, literature and artifacts. We only had time to look at a small portion of it. Best of all, John entertained us with a wealth of motorcycle related stories. I could not think of a better way to spend an afternoon. When the cylinder was ready and we were leaving, John gave us his latest business card. His new title is “Certified Emotional Engineer.” I could not agree more.
Martha at Pro Motorsports was the person John called on to help get the cylinder done for me. Martha seemed to be amused at the “Hodaka across America on the TAT” story, and insisted that I tell the others in the shop what I was doing. After hearing the story, most gave me the “this guy must be a weirdo” look, which I was getting used to on this trip!
On the way back to Bob and Candy’s the traffic was fierce due to the wildfires that were raging out of control only a few miles from their home. The fires were a cause for concern, but luckily for Bob and Candy, the fires were still a ways away and they were not yet in an evacuation zone.
The next day, we were able to get all the work done on the Hodaka. Mr. Toad was now fresher and had the proper gearing and jetting for the mountains, but he was also wounded with a weakened crank assembly with the toughest tests just ahead of him. What would be our fate?
That evening at dinner I had the opportunity to meet one of Bob’s friends, Jeff Slavins, a well-known off-road rider and businessman in the industry. Jeff looked on with amusement at the collection of Hodakas in our possession. For a fellow that helps to develop the latest and greatest equipment in the off-road world, a person riding a Hodaka must seem very odd indeed!
I feel very fortunate to have Bob and Candy as friends. Without their help, time and generosity, it would have been difficult to continue the journey.
Tommorow, the hills of the eastern slope await.

John Sawazhki- Certified Emotional Engineer
Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #89
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Days Eleven and Twelve

Candy, Bob and Andy with the Toad

Martha at Pro Motosports- What's a Hodaka?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #90
ABee OP
Near Normal

Thanks!

Toadride,degeezer, Mr. Magoo, norham, Miguel Sanchez, Maine Scoot, socalhodaka, SuchesRider, CoBob, oldone, HighFive and Ratman- Thanks for the comments!

WECSOG- Thanks for the info.

sidetrack one- How very astute! Your calculations are correct, sir!

Unstable Rider- Garmin 62s, RAM mount. I love those pieces of equipment!

ROAD DAMAGE- I really appreciate the offer and would have loved to take you up on it, but my route was way to the south of Steamboat. Next time!

prsdrat- No problems with the fires other than what was already mentioned. I am a few days behind on my reports, and have already passed by all of the fires in Colorado.

For everyone asking if I have run into the CT90 dudes on the trail, the answer is no. I would have loved to have chatted and taken photos with them to post here. I should have met them on the trail somewhere between Silverton and Salida, but I did not see them. I was passed on the TAT today by two XR650 riders from California that did not see them either. However,the fellow at the RV campground in Silverton where I stayed said that they were in the very same campground the night before. I will be very impressed if they can get through Cinnamon Pass.