Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #91
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
You can look up the local kart racing shops and they are setup for this type of work.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #92
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
Day Thirteen

Mr. Snake meets Mr. Toad, outside Trinidad, CO

Day Thirteen
Trinidad to Salida, CO
I was excited, but yet a little apprehensive entering the Rockies on the Hodaka. I had a fresh top end and tires, lower gearing and new brake shoes. The big question was whether my damaged rod would be able to take the strain climbing the high mountain passes. Since the top end was new, I left the jetting in for the 4,000 to 6,000 foot range. I would be climbing a few passes today in the 9,000 foot range and the bike would be running rich, but that was an acceptable compromise to avoid a piston seizure.
I was on the trail around 9:30 after the drive down from Colorado Springs. The day started sunny and mild, but the wind was already beginning to gust. The ride out of Trinidad is a series of dirt farm and ranch roads that head north before finally turning west, crossing the Interstate and heading into the foothills. The route here passes the site of the Ludlow Massacre, where striking miners in a tent colony were attacked by the guards of the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company and Colorado National Guard on April 20, 1914. Between 19 and 25 people were killed, including two women and eleven children. The public outcry resulted in the creation of the House Committee on Mines and Mining, which investigated the incident. The Committee’s report helped promote child labor laws and the eight hour work day.
After Ludlow, the climb into the foothills begins. You can see Culebra Peak off to the west before your turn into the San Isabel National Forest. The roads here are loamy soil without too many rocks as you climb to the northwest towards La Veta. After fueling in La Veta, I headed north past the town of Gardner. The climb became steady, up into the hills of the Ophir Creek area, towards the Bigelow Divide which has an elevation of 9,300 feet. It was here that I saw my first snow banks of the ride along Ophir Creek. The Toad was wheezing a bit with the rich jetting at this elevation, but had no trouble getting over the divide. The road eventually turned west and I dropped down into Silver Cliff, Colorado, where I saw several dual sport bikes parked in front of the various cafes in town. The road turns north again and I zigzagged on the dirt side roads off of Highway 69 towards Cotopaxi, where I crossed the Arkansas River and started a steep climb through Red Gulch up into the mountains to the east of Salida. The summit of the divide was close to the elevation of the Bigelow Divide, so the Toad had its second major workout of the day.
Salida was a happening place with a festive mood. Tourists crowed the streets and outdoor thrill seekers were everywhere. The Toad had survived its first day in the mountains, and I felt good. It was time to put a leaner main jet in the carburetor, because Hancock and Cinnamon Passes were on tomorrow’s route, the biggest challenges yet.
259 miles traveled today, 5.5 gallons of gas and 23 ounces of injector oil burned. 2,596 total miles traveled to date.

Ludlow Massacre Site
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #93
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Thirteen

Peaks in the distance, near La Veta, CO

Old Church, near La Veta, CO
Old 06-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #94
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Thirteen

Near Silver Cliff, CO

Last Climb before Salida, CO
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #95
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Maybe I missed something, but didn't you start the ride with a rebuilt engine? Why was the new top-end necessary after 2000 miles?

A thought on Ludlow - John Sayles has an amazing film on miner strikes: Matewan. It's about the Battle of Matewan in 1920, but very much related to Ludlow. Highly recommended.
bymbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #96
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,168
I'll not speak for the op, but on the second day the auto oiler failed to deliver enough oil to the mix.
Top end was still good but bottom was hurt by the lack of oil.
So helping the top might make it easier on the bottom.

See post 88.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #97
MUS
ActaNonVerba

Oddometer: 25
Hancock and Cinnamon Passes Tomorrow

Will be interesting to see if you can climb these two passes. The boys riding the Honda CT90's on another ride report here apparently met their match in terms of altitude or snow cover; not sure which but hope you can make it.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #98
ABee OP
Near Normal

Day Fourteen

When was the last time a 100cc bike made it over Cinnamon Pass? 12, 640 feet.

Day Fourteen
Salida to Silverton, CO
Today would be the biggest challenge yet for the Toad. The route would take us over both Hancock Pass at 11,600 feet and Cinnamon Pass at 12,640 feet. I had dropped the main jet to compensate for the altitude, and as I left Salida this morning the little Hodaka was running cleanly. The view of the Collegiate Peaks just outside Salida to the north was breathtaking, but I wondered if the Toad would have enough steam to take me over the Continental Divide. The route took me to the south of Mt. Princeton past the resort of Princeton Hot Springs towards St. Elmo. Although steep in places, the little Hodaka chugged along and finally the road turned from pavement to dirt. The road itself is a designated ATV route, and this being Sunday, the four-wheel crowd was out in full force. I passed several old abandoned mines on the way up, as well as the ghost town of Iron City. Iron City does not seem too much like a ghost town on the weekend, as the street through town was crowded with tourists. After Iron City, only the occasional four-wheel drive vehicle could be seen. People come up to this area to fish, hike the Continental Divide Trail and visit the remnants of the old narrow-gauge railway. The entrance to Hancock pass is just beyond the parking area for the railway. Immediately, the road gets very steep and seems to be paved with boulders the size of bowling balls. I jumped up on the pegs and did my best impression of a trials rider as I picked my way through the rocks in first and second gears. The little Hodie rolled right along, but I admit that I had to abuse the clutch and scream the engine to make it through some steep switchback turns. I was getting close to the top when I saw it, a huge sheet of ice and snow coving the surface of the trail for hundreds of yards. I could see about a quarter of a mile up the trail, and it looked like the ice and snow covered most of it for the remainder of the pass. Hancock Pass had yet to open for the season, and the Toad would not be the first vehicle through it this year. I was stopped dead in my tracks just a few hundred feet in elevation before the summit. I cursed myself for being such an idiot. Everyone knows that one should always check with agencies or the locals on the status of a pass before attempting to cross any pass in the Rockies. Now I was going to have to give up the precious altitude that was hard-earned by the Toad as I backtracked toward Salida, Highway 50 and Monarch Pass. There is really no such thing as an easy re-route in the Rockies. This detour was going to cost me at least 80 miles today. To make matters worse, a thunderstorm brewed overhead and I began to get pelted with rain, a penance to be paid for my mistake.
It is not much fun going over Monarch Pass on a 100cc bike with all of the traffic on Highway 50. In places I could only manage 20 mph and had to hug the shoulder of the road to keep from being mown down. The Hodaka made it without becoming a hood ornament on an SUV however, but it did not seem fair that the Toad had to do twice the work necessary to make it over the Continental Divide.
Just after Sargents, the trail turns to the southwest on the way to Lake City. This is mostly a mild climb on manicured dirt roads until you get into the hills around Cebolla Creek, where the trails get steeper. I passed through two more thunderstorms, both of which clobbered me with pea-sized hail stones. Riding along in the rain and hail, I eventually intercepted Highway 149, which dropped me down into Lake City for some fuel. Lake City is a scenic little town which boasts a beautiful lake, San Cristobal, which you ride by on your way to Cinnamon Pass. It was late Sunday afternoon and most everything in town was closed save for the general store and the pay-at-the-pump filling station. After topping off with gas, I headed out of town toward Cinnamon Pass. As I did so, it finally stopped raining, a good sign! I had ridden this portion of the Alpine Loop several times before. On my big KTM, the pass did not seem like a big deal. On a 100cc Hodaka, it is, shall we say, a bit challenging! Like Hancock Pass earlier, I had to scream the engine and feather the clutch to keep my momentum up on the tight switchbacks. The little bike forces you to pick the smoothest lines through the rocks so you can continue your progress. The Hodie was about to run out of breath as we crested the summit, but we made it! I could not help but wonder, when was the last time a Hodaka had made it over Cinnamon Pass? On the way down, I passed the old mining ghost town of Animas Forks before dropping down into the town of Silverton for the night. Silverton, as its name implies, is an old silver mining town that subsists on tourism today. It has several good restaurants and bars, hotels and places to camp. It is a great place for a TAT rider to spend the night.
246 miles traveled today (including the backtracking). 6.3 gallons of gas and 28 ounces of injector oil.

They don't call them the Rocky Mountains for nothing. The road up Hancock Pass.

ABee screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 11:52 PM
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #99
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Fourteen

One of many old mines on the road up to Hancock Pass.

Hancock Pass, less than a mile from the summit, just before I had to turn around.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #100
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Fourteen

Iron City "Ghost" Town, near St. Elmo.

Trailhead near Hancock Pass
Old 06-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #101
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Fourteen

The Detour. At the top of Monarch Pass.

Getting pelted with hail on the road to Lake City.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #102
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Fourteen

Near Lake City

Lake San Cristobal
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #103
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Fourteen

The Toad crawling up Cinnamon Pass

At the top of Cinnamon Pass
Old 06-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #104
ABee OP
Near Normal

Day Fifteen

Leaving Silverton, CO

Day Fifteen
Silverton, CO to Monticello, UT
I had an ambitious agenda today, I hoped to ride from Silverton to Moab, Utah. This would include going through Ophir Pass, Lizard Head Pass, and the climb back into the mountains near the Lizard Head Wilderness Area. Once in Utah, the Toad would have to get over Geyser Pass in the La Sal Mountains before the decent into Moab.
Ophir Pass was not as steep or as difficult as Cinnamon Pass for the Toad, but the scenery was spectacular. There were only a few sharp, steep switchbacks were I had to scream the engine and fan the clutch to make it. Jeeps clogged the trail as people stopped to take pictures, so it took awhile to get through. I didn’t mind, because it gave me the opportunity to take photos as well. After the descent, I followed Highway 145 to the southeast through Lizard Head Pass. Again, this was no real problem for the Toad as this pass was not terribly steep and the traffic was light. The TAT then turns to the northwest through mountains where it eventually connects with the Willow Divide OHV trails. Although steep and rocky in places, I enjoyed these trails. I had a spectacular view of a canyon as I rode along the rim of the ridge. After dropping down off of the ridge, it gets drier, there is less vegetation and by the time I reached Dove City, I was in the desert. At Dove City, I decided to re-jet the carb for lower altitudes as well as change the gearing for the longer desert stretches that were to come. While doing this, two Honda XR650 riders from California riding the TAT pulled into the station to refuel. They seemed amused by the Toad and snapped a few pictures. Later, they would pass me in a cloud of dust as they headed west toward Moab.
The trail out of Dove City is a series of long, straight dirt roads that point downhill. I could get the Toad moving at a good clip, but decided to back off a little when I feared the impact with cattle guards and larger rocks could cause a compression flat. Coming in to Monticello, the first town in Utah on the TAT, I noticed the Honda Riders had met up with another one of their friends on a KLR in front of the Honda dealership. I still wanted to make Moab at this point, so I just waved as I rode by. I needed fuel, so I pulled into a service station just down the road from the Honda shop. When I did, I noticed that the rear tire was going down! Curses! My first flat of the trip after nearly 3,000 miles! I only had a spare 21 inch tube with me (which will work in an 18-inch tire in an emergency- you have to pack light on the Toad). I decided to limp back down to the Honda shop to buy a tube since it was just down the street. The Honda shop was closed, however, and would not open until 9am the next day. I met the Honda riders, Jim and Tom, as well as the KLR rider, Mark. Mark had just installed a new tire on his KLR and Tom had just noticed that his XR was spraying oil all over the engine and on to the rear tire when he stopped to meet up with Mark. Tom had just had his valves adjusted and hoped it was just a loose valve cover, which turned out to be the case.
There would be no chance to make Moab today after repairing the flat. (I am not nearly as quick as those ISDT riders with the tire irons.) I called Donna and arranged to have her meet me in Monticello instead of Moab, which she did. I had spare 18 inch tubes in the camper, so I waited for her to arrive before fixing the flat. We spent a pleasant evening in an RV campground, where I got the Toad ready for the next day of riding the trails in Utah.
Only 156 miles traveled today. 2.8 gallons of gas and 12 ounces of injector oil.

Going up Ophir Pass

ABee screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 06:25 AM
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #105
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Fifteen

At the top of Ophir Pass

Going down Ophir Pass to the west