I-70 passing overhead.
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #125
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
Photos, Day Sixteen

The end of the day, Emery, UT.

Installing a new EXTRA HEAVY DUTY rear tube, Emery, UT.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #126
ABee OP
Near Normal

Day Seventeen

Leaving Emery in front of the old LDS church.

Day Seventeen
Emery, UT to Baker, NV
Utah did its best to kill the Toad today. By rights, the Toad should now be a permanent fixture in the canyon that goes up Wildcat Knolls seven miles outside of Emery, which is a route into the high country of Fishlake National Forest. This climb was much tougher than any mountain pass that I had to climb on the TAT so far. The climb was not as long as some of the other passes, but the angle of ascent was much steeper and to complicate things, the dust on the trail was six to eight inches deep in places. I literally had to get off the bike and run along side of it and slip the clutch while revving the engine to make it. It was quite a workout, to say the least. I donít know how the clutch or rod survived this abuse, but they did. Once up the steep canyon, I stopped to survey the scene that unfolded in front of me. What a beautiful view! To the northwest I could see several peaks including Musinia, Mt. Baldy and Heliotrope Mountain on the Wasatch Plateau. The trails leading towards these peaks had me climbing until I found myself in the snow. What a contrast, considering I was in the desert only a few hours ago!
Eventually the TAT intersected with the Great Western and Paiute network of ATV trails. It was fun riding these, but I had to be wary as well. There were deep ruts and ditches crossing these trails that were often hidden in the shadows of trees and other vegetation. Even at a leisurely pace, the suspension of the Toad bottomed out easily, and on a few occasions the deflection was hard enough to send me careening off of the trail. On these little detours, I was fortunate enough not to be sent into the trees or over a ledge!
Eventually, the trail descended and crossed I-70 to the southwest and then climbed into the Rex Reservoir area. There were open range cattle everywhere in this area. I donít know why, but cattle in the far western states seem to be more on edge than cattle further east. Maybe it is because of all the wild animals like mountain lions trying to snack on them? There was no real way of predicting what they would do, they typically scattered every which way in no particular pattern. The only thing that I could predict was that the calves wanted to be with their mothers when scared. If you were between them, then you might be in trouble! I had to slow down and creep through the herds until they moved far enough away from the trail. On the descent into Richfield, there were a few steep and rocky trails that were fun to ride. By now, the wind had picked up from the west and I was battling a headwind as I rode into town for a late lunch with Donna. Donna had seen Jim, Tom and Mark in Richfield when she was parked near the center of town waiting on me. They were on their way to spend the night in Baker, Nevada, which was our destination as well.
Out of Richfield, I climbed the plateau to the northwest of town and reconnected with the Paiute trail. The trail was great fun on the Toad, as it rolled up and down the hills leading into the town of Kanosh. Cottonwood Creek crisscrossed the trail several times here, but the crossings were not deep enough to be a threat, even for the Toad.
In Kanosh, there were a couple of elderly gentlemen hanging out at the Sinclair station that wanted to know my destination on the odd little bike. When I told them Baker, Nevada, they were horrified! They tried to scare me, saying that there was nothing between Kanosh and Baker but over a hundred miles of desert. They recalled stories of other foolish people that had ventured out there alone and one way or another ran out of luck. No food, no water, no gas, no cell phone service! I thanked them for the warnings, but I was going anyway. They wanted to know if I had enough water and food to last me for awhile after the old bike died on the trail. I said that I did. When I left, I am sure they were taking bets on when they would be reading about my demise in the local police reports.
The wind was howling heading to the west out of Kanosh. The Toad struggled to move forward. I was barely able to do 30 miles per hour on some of the gradual climbs on the route. The men at the Sinclair station were right, there was nothing much out there. Still, there is a type of grandeur and majesty to the desert. I am always impressed by the colors and contours of the hills, the distant mountain ranges, the vastness of the sky, and the brilliance of the stars at night. I am also always amazed by the surprising amount of life in the desert. Antelope, birds, rabbits, and an assortment of rodents were everywhere. I found myself wondering how these animals find enough food and water to survive.
Speaking of survival, thatís what the Toad did today. I rolled into Baker late, but the good folks at the Silver Jack Inn agreed to bake us a pizza after hours. Jim, Tom and Mark were already there finishing their dinner. They seemed somewhat surprised to see us, and when Donna first walked in the door, one of them shouted, ďHey look, itís the Hodaka lady!Ē We sat down and shared stories of our adventures that day. I learned that both Jim and Tom were pilots as well, and planned to take a detour later on their TAT ride to visit the crash site of the B-24 up around the Denio area. Mark made Tom recall the story of how he and Jim as 19 year-olds rented a clapped-out Cessna with one of the doors duct-taped shut in California and flew it all the way to Oshkosh, getting to 12,500 feet to clear a pass in the Rockies near Salt Lake City. They talked about some close calls they had with fuel on the trip because of the strong headwinds. Heck, these guys were crazier than anyone riding an old Hodaka across the country! Mark paid for our pizza that night. Next time, itís on us Mark.
287 miles traveled today. 7.2 gallons of gas burned and 30 ounces of injector oil. The Toad is still alive, but Utah has taken its toll on the little hopper. At this point, I am impressed that it is still running at all.

The climb that nearly killed the Toad, up the plateau near Emery, UT. (Why don't photos show how REALLY steep these climbs are?)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #127
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Seventeen

Climbing the Wasatch Plateau.

Alpine Lake, Wasatch Plateau.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #128
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Seventeen

Snow nearly blocking the trail on the Wasatch Plateau.

Near the trail's summit on the Wasatch Plateau, Musinia Peak in the background. (There is a less PC name for this peak, do you know what it is?)

ABee screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 11:46 PM
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #129
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Seventeen

Great Western ATV trail, Wasatch Plateau.

Rex Reservoir
Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #130
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Seventeen

Looking down the mountain toward Richfield, UT.

Cottonwood Creek crossing the Piaute Trail.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #131
ABee OP
Near Normal

Photos, Day Seventeen

Deep gravel on the road between Kanosh, UT and Baker, NV.

It's lonely in the desert, near Baker, Nevada.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #132
ABee OP
Near Normal

Humboldt County

Hawk62cj5, bspf,Mansoura, SpineDr- Thanks for the comments.

makotosun, Alpenglo- Looking forward to meeting you both in Athena. Look for the most abused Road Toad there, and you will find me.

Alpenglo- What memories! I was the shop manager at Pacific BMW before Rod. He raced a Montesa VB250 out of the shop when I was there. He lived in the boonies in Southern Humboldt, and we would go out to his place and ride a good bit. I raced an SWM 125RS that I bought from the shop at events throughout Northern California. Cool story about your Toad, hope to see the Eureka Cycles sticker on it in Athena. I have not forgotten about Pat, I know he had Humboldt County connections, but I think he lived in the Santa Rosa area at that time. I remember him showing up at the dunes near Samoa one day and giving us all lessons on how to ride in the sand. He was the only man that I saw that was competitve on a Penton Mint 400 at that time. When I was there, Pat was already rising through the ranks riding on the pro curcuit, so I did not see him much.

TwilightZone- I never did get to race the short track or TT at Redwood Acres for whatever reason, but at one time they crafted an MX track there that crisscrossed the dirt track. When they would water the hard pack surface, we would all fall and bust our butt. I had a little G31M that I took to the short track in Willow Creek a few times. That place could get a little wild when the spectators got into the firewater later in the evening. I wish I could have seen Pat short track that CZ.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #133
norham
flagrant bozo

Oddometer: 325
Oh boy Abee, this is fun. We're heading to Athena on Wednesday, see you there....
norham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #134
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 692
Rooting for Abee and the Toad from Australia.

Keep going.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #135
Alpenglo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hello ABee,
Glad that you and the Toad are still going strong! Incredible scenery and excellent commentary.

I used to have Pat's CZ 400. Bought it from Zane Schrader sometime around 1977. Kept it for about a year and raced one Willow Creek TT on it.
Also raced at the Redwood Acres MX on my 76 Husky 250 WR. MX and TT were not my forte but really enjoyed enduros and hare scrambles.
Do you remember Foster's Ranch and Lonny Foster? He went pretty good too.
Darrell Bailey also rode a Penton 400 and did well on it.
Lance Burgess's SWM 250MC surfaced for sale and fully restored last year in Redding.
I don't have my original SWM but found a basket case 79 RS250GS and restored it over 4-years.
If I can figure out how to upload images I'll post some of the CZ and SWM.

Heading to Portland tomorrow and Athena on Thursday.
Best of luck to you, ABee!
Alpenglo is offline   Reply With Quote