User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
RonSJC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
How 'bout something Different-Music Video Trip Report

A One Day winter's Dual Sport Ride through the mountains of So Cal. Up and over Ortega Highway out of San Juan Capistrano (where a bus tries to take me out). Down dirt toward Lake Elsinore, through the Scenic back country De Lutz Road, and up dirt to the back side of Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Station. Finally the twists and turns of South Main Divide as the sun sets..... Crank up the Volume!

Oh, the bike is a cherry 1988 Honda NX250, camera is a Contour (hey they are great and can be had for about $100 bucks now!)
RonSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
EdgeAbilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
NICE!
EdgeAbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Tobes2102
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
That was cool, especially liked the first song. SO...which contour do you have and is it hard to mount on your helmet??
Tobes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
RonSJC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeAbilly View Post
NICE!
Thanks! Looks like your neck of the woods.......
Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
RonSJC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobes2102 View Post
That was cool, especially liked the first song. SO...which contour do you have and is it hard to mount on your helmet??
Thanks, the Contour Roam 2 1080p

It came with Helmet mounts, but I happen to have a gopro mount on that helmet. I got a $10 roam mount that will mount to a gopro mount and set it up that way. I have an older GoPro too and I honestly like the Contour better. You might get a little better picture quality but by the time it gets uploaded it pretty much the same unless you go for new gopro. The "on off- record" switch is all one switch on the top. You just slide it and it comes on and starts recording. Saves battery over the go pro. Plus I can't hear for shit and I can't hear the beeps on the gopro to tell that I'm recording and the buttons are small, where the Contour is a definite slide on.... you know you are recording.
Finally, the sound is better unless you use the open back of the gopro. And finally........... It's Cheaper!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:14 AM   #6
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 259
Nice ride! And thanks for the camera insight - was thinking about a GoPro, but this sounds like a better way to go!

2012 Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie
2003 Suzuki SV 1000
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Tobes2102
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Thanks for the camera info. Contour it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSJC View Post
Thanks, the Contour Roam 2 1080p

It came with Helmet mounts, but I happen to have a gopro mount on that helmet. I got a $10 roam mount that will mount to a gopro mount and set it up that way. I have an older GoPro too and I honestly like the Contour better. You might get a little better picture quality but by the time it gets uploaded it pretty much the same unless you go for new gopro. The "on off- record" switch is all one switch on the top. You just slide it and it comes on and starts recording. Saves battery over the go pro. Plus I can't hear for shit and I can't hear the beeps on the gopro to tell that I'm recording and the buttons are small, where the Contour is a definite slide on.... you know you are recording.
Finally, the sound is better unless you use the open back of the gopro. And finally........... It's Cheaper!
Tobes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
EdgeAbilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Your vid is GREAT!! I use a GoPro and edit with Movie Maker then lose that natural color. My vids look like a 70s movie. All the brilliant blue sky and greens are gone. If ya have any Ideas let me know. What dirt roads are you on? I know the area cause I live here but I haven't seen them..

Check out ( My Sunday Rides ) Thread and you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSJC View Post
A One Day winter's Dual Sport Ride through the mountains of So Cal. Up and over Ortega Highway out of San Juan Capistrano (where a bus tries to take me out). Down dirt toward Lake Elsinore, through the Scenic back country De Lutz Road, and up dirt to the back side of Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Station. Finally the twists and turns of South Main Divide as the sun sets..... Crank up the Volume!

Oh, the bike is a cherry 1988 Honda NX250, camera is a Contour (hey they are great and can be had for about $100 bucks now!)

EdgeAbilly screwed with this post 03-11-2015 at 05:17 PM
EdgeAbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
RonSJC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeAbilly View Post
Your vid is GREAT!! I use a GoPro and edit with Movie Maker then lose that natural color. My vids look like a 70s movie. All the brilliant blue sky and greens are gone. If ya have any Ideas let me know. What dirt roads are you on? I know the area cause I live here but I haven't seen them..

Check out ( My Sunday Rides ) Thread and you'll see what I mean.
Thanks,
I took Indian Truck trail down off Ortega Hwy and from De Lutz road headed back toward Tenaja Truck Trail and then on Margarita Road .
Old 03-14-2015, 04:38 AM   #10
RebornRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Outstanding!! Great ride and great video. Thanks!! Still awaiting lots of snow and ice to melt out east, here. Then a couple of rains to wash the stinkin' salt away. This was a refreshing reminder of times to com. :-)
Ride safe.
gary
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - Helen Keller
RebornRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #11
RonSJC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornRider View Post
Outstanding!! Great ride and great video. Thanks!! Still awaiting lots of snow and ice to melt out east, here. Then a couple of rains to wash the stinkin' salt away. This was a refreshing reminder of times to com. :-)
Ride safe.
gary
Thanks Gary, we are spoiled when it comes to riding weather.
However, the "winter" out here..... well there really hasn't been one. Yesterday it was over 80 at the Beach, where it's normally nice and cool. Ridiculous!