User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2015, 03:15 AM   #1
Old fool OP
Road rider

Oddometer: 121
Cambodia by rental

taking off in the morning on a quick three day loop from Phnom Penh on a pair of Yamaha 250's to Sihanoukville.

Photos and machine info in the morning when we pick them up. This is going to be quick and dirty - especially dirty . . .
Old fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Old fool OP
Road rider

Wasting away in Sihanoukville . . .

Well my first attempt at a report was washed away by indifferent and sketchy FiWi as this hotel calls it.

We rented a pair of Honda 250 singles that have plenty of pep and they're ready to jump off the road with The slightest twitch of your shoulders. It turns out to be the number one survival trait here as you are regularly confronted with the spectacle of two huge trucks hurtling strait down the two lane side by side. It is crazy but as long as you keep your eyes moving at all times it's fantastic!!

The first leg of this ride was getting out of Phnom Penh which may be the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. It took about an hour and was worth every mad second. People rush around like crazy but they don't get bent out shape when they get cut off which is a really good thing because otherwise there would be murder done routinely . . .

When we stopped for a breather we saw that Wim's bike was leaking gas pretty freely. I turned the peacock off and it stopped but the first mechanic we tried banged on the float bowl to no avail and threw up his hands. We went a few hundred metres down the road to another one and once we got off the bikes we could see that it had stopped - must have been some lumber in the fuel that got through the filters and stuck in the valve. Anyway, all's well that ends well. It just ended up costing him a couple of bucks extra in fuel.

The rest of the trip was not uneventful but quickly became routine and we arrived in Sihanoukville in mid afternoon. This place is rolling in every flavour of expat you can imagine and then some. I swear there were Venusians in one bar working the dollar double shots for all they were worth. I couldn't see what they were riding but if I do I'll try to post photos.

That's another thing - Tapatalk has gone weird on me wanting my views and on certain things and it won't let back to the forum unless I do something that they can't really explain so I'm using iPhone Chrome for this and it won't upload a single photo because they're all too big and I haven't got the patience To do a major editing session on the phone.

There's a PC at the hotel in Phnom Penh and I'll get cracking on it tomorrow afternoon when I get Back there.

Stay tuned
Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
tferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Always wanted to check out Cambodia, I'm following.
tferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
BikerAl
On Kilter

Oddometer: 533
OK, Old Fool . . . I'm in and waiting for the pics! And more info on the Yamaha! While I contemplate a new shed.
BikerAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
Old fool OP
Road rider

Sorry Al, turns out they were Hondas but not to worry - they were tremendous.

We arrived back in Phnom Penh this afternoon after a ramble up highway 3 from Kep. What a wonderful place that is - I would go back there for sure.

The roads south of Phnom Penh are really good but you have have your eyes and wits about you constantly. Fortunately the bikes had no tachs or speedos so there are no dashboard distractions.

I had a little hot rocket this morning when I checked the oil and the stick was dry. I went to get oil but once I got there and checked again the stick was showing full. I parked on a steepish grade overnight and the oil tank must have drained into the sump. Riding a kilometre or two got the tank refilled. Crisis averted!

Riding back into Phnom Penh was easier than driving out two days ago. It amazed me how quickly I became accustomed to driving here. There were two guys on Harley's who passed us coming in to town but once we hit the heavy traffic they just fell away. I can't imagine wanting ride something that big here. Doesn't make any sense to me. In town the scooter rules and out of town a strong dual purpose with dirt tires is the ticket. The number of times you have to stare down a beer truck and get right off the road is phenomenal.

BTW the single most frequent truck seen in the last three days was Angkor beer . . .

Sorry I can't get the photos posted - I'll just have to get my shit together before I head out in June for Cape Breton.

I recommend Cambodia to anyone who likes to ride. Bring something for your butt though the seats in these rentals are vile.