Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #16
vwlandon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
yea. you can even get fly floatant at walmart if thats more convenient. i do alot of motoflyfishing here in PA and i love it. just have to not give up and keep practicing. its tough sometimes
vwlandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #17
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Rig Selection

How are you choosing your rig set up?

It sounds like your wanting the fish to strike a fly on the surface? I am no expert, but I have found that this happens when a recent hatch has occurred that will float on the surface. Otherwise, one is better off trying a submerged rig and/or both.

Also, I would like to know how others go into a new area and set their rig up. I know hard cores would take a look at the current hatches and tie up their own fly. I don't believe I would get to that level of sport.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
Vanjoe
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Great topic! Flyfishing AND catching nice fish, riding the bike to do it, and wife gone for 3 months!
I am too late to add my advice but will. When I got into flyfishing, I also practiced in the yard with a piece of tape on the end of the tippet. It was pretty easy until I went fishing and put a fly on..... when the line came back for the backcast, I realized there was a hook coming at me!!!!! Took awhile to stop ducking. So my advice would be to practice with a hook on.
Great fish for a first time out!!!! I have yet to get out this year and its killing me.
Vanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
FlyFishJeff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I love flyfishing both freshwater and saltwater. Sadly, the demands of family life have limited my fishing trips to dedicated vacations. Before the kids came along, I would regularly spend an entire weekend day flyfishing for trout.

I recently attended the Eastern Vstrom gathering at the IronHorse Motorcycle Lodge in the Smoky Mountains, and I took the flyfishing gear along. What an awesome place! I rode the world-famous twisty roads on Thursday and Friday, and I found a beautiful spot to wet a line on Saturday.

I have aquired a lot of very nice flyfishing gear over the years, but I picked up an LL Bean travel rod combo (two complete outfits, fly and spinning rods and reels in one small package) for motoflyfishing. I have to say that the fly rod and reel far exceeded my expectations for the price; great balance and feel.

Here are a few pics from the trip:

FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
last Saturday on the St Joe river, between St Regis Mt and Avery Id
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
doorman OP
Aimless

Oddometer: 225
I have only tried dry flyfishing so far. It just seemed to be the easiest. I don't really know the technique for submerged flies. Guess I'll have to get a book or two.

Flyfishjeff, looks like you have a great setup there. I really need to get myself a net like that.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend and find some new spots.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #22
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 543
The more you get into fly fishing the greater the need to learn the wet flies/nymphs.
Old trout guide told me years ago that 75% of what a trout eats a day, they eat underwater.

Trout fishing, golf and motorcycles all accomplished the same goal for me; get me out of the city and into the beautiful world we have all around us!!
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895

I also love motoflyfishing. Cant wait till my back is in a shape I can read again. Really missing fishing and riding...

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
I have only tried dry flyfishing so far. It just seemed to be the easiest. I don't really know the technique for submerged flies. Guess I'll have to get a book or two.
I am going on a boys trip weekend after next to a lake in eastern Az. I will try to get a few pics of some of the rigs people are tying to get under the surface. I say "try", because this trip usually involves massive amounts of alcohol consumption. I think I can do it!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #25
FlyFishJeff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
It's not difficult at all to fish a nymph (or any sub-surface fly). You still want a drag-free drift, and you want the fly to travel just off of the bottom (even ticking rocks from time to time). At the end of the drift, let the line hang in the current for a few seconds before you begin to strip the line back in. This simulates a nymph emerging from the bottom to the surface. Many strikes occur as the fly naturally rises from the bottom at the end of a drift.

I find that a pinch-float works well as a strike indicator. The trick is to set the pinch float at a point on the line that allows the current to carry the fly just off of the bottom. If the current is strong, the pinch float will have to be set higher up on your leader.

In strong currents, a small split shot twelve inches from the fly will help to keep the fly in the strike zone.

FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #26
doorman OP
Aimless

Well I bought a few small nymphs and decided to give them a try today.

Left for the stream right from work.

The ninja did pretty well on the sandy gravel road leading to the stream. I do need to carry a pad for the side stand though, it really sunk in in the time I was fishing.

Here is elk creek, my first stop this evening

I saw a few small fish (thanks to my new polarized glasses), but it was so windy I had to call it quits.

I decided to try back at the pond from my earlier posts, since it is protected from the wind.

Immediately caught this fellow

which happens to be the largest trout I've ever caught

Then shortly after hooked this one

I used a dry fly, with a bead head pheasant tail nymph dropper. I missed a few more, then couldn't find anymore takers.

A great evening of fishing, and riding.

Motoflyfishing
Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #27
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Very nice! With nymphs you can try a dry/dropper rig. For slowish water like that creek in your pic it seems to work fairly well. You simply tie on a dry fly of your choosing, then about 18 or so inches of appropriate tippet, then tie your nymph on the end. I found on a couple of my local creeks that I get more hits using that then I do with a nymph and indicator.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #28
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 577
Holler if you ever want some instruction. I've been doing it a good long while. I live up on the iron range and would love a reason to blast down that way on the FZ. Got more fly shit then I know what to do with, I would be happy to put together a goody box for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #29
doorman OP
Aimless

Redneckdan

I wouldn't make you schlep all the way down here just to teach me a thing or two, but I'd be game to meet at a stream halfway if you'd ever be interested. I warn you though, me flyfishing is a painful sight.

Motoflyfishing
Old 06-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #30
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,480
heck yeah!
my /7 at oil creek st park

my r100r loaded for two up on the chief joseph, headed for the beartooth, yes, there's a rod tube buried in there! camped up in the boonies and had a blast for a few days with my girlfriend!

caught a mess of these, about every other cast

one of my homebuilt McFarland glass, 7'6" 4wt 3pc, perfect moto rod!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote