Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
last Saturday on the St Joe river, between St Regis Mt and Avery Id
I love fishing this area!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #62
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 463
Most non-fly fishers think that fly fishing is for trout and salmon only. But, that's not true. Fly fishing is a technique and you can fish for just about anything with a fly rod. Here in the Midwest, there is a growing trend for fishing for carp with a fly rod. They are ferocious fighters. Ever catch a big blue gill on a fly rod? That's a pretty good fight. Big bass are fun to catch. Try catching a northern pike or a muskie on a fly rod. That's a battle!

All in all, fly fishing is a great sport that gets one out on the water. It doesn't matter what you're fishing for, it's just a great sport.

And if you get to that fishing spot on your motorcycle ... all the better!

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #63
rpeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Motorcycles and fly fishing, my kind of place!

This is my fishing transport, including the picnic blanket and Kermit chair for my wife. I'm confined to New England these days, but will one day be be roaming the Rocky Mountains.

rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #64
Dirtsampler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Me too! No bike yet but I've been tying flies for several years and confirm that catching a fish on a fly you tied is a rush! Doesn't have to be the latest greatest super bug, just a fuzzy sumthin that appeals to a fish. Great fun, keep the reports coming.

Steve
Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #65
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Let's resurrect this thread for those of us that wish we were riding and fishing. It's been a while since it's was warm enough to wet a line around here. Did get a nice day back in early December to at least fish a little, sorry no riding that day. However I have gotten into tying my own flies and I'm really enjoying it. Damn expensive hobby tho. Can't wait to catch something on a fly I've tied myself. My wife says I'll grow to attached to what I've tied but I assured her I'll be trying everyone of them. I know springs a coming but it's gonna be below zero here tonight so a good night to sit in front of the fire, catch up on reading some bike mags and maybe tie a few flies.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #66
doorman OP
Aimless

Oddometer: 227
I can't wait to get out and throw some flies and get some miles on the bike. Hard to think about it today though. -23F this morning. Brrr

I'd love to tie my own, but I think the wife would leave me if I take up another hobby.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #67
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,309
Fishing and riding sounds like a great time. I need to do some of both this year.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #68
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,026
refokus, didja see the fishing pole in my backpac yesterday ??? i'm always ready.
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #69
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
refokus, didja see the fishing pole in my backpac yesterday ??? i'm always ready.
Yes, I did see the fishing pole and I thought that was a cool set up. I have a few small poles and a few ultra light reals that I can stuff in the sack very easy. We will have to do a ride and fish retreat soon.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #70
Dirty3
Just add sauce

Oddometer: 152
Great thread.

I was getting casting coaching by a mate over the Christmas break. We were camping and he showed me the right technique for casting. Once I got the hang of it, I was hooked. My brother has been a flyfisherman for 20 years, never did I think it would be enjoyable. Now with bike in hand, I may have to take fly rod in the other and try my luck.
Dirty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #71
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty3 View Post
Great thread.

I was getting casting coaching by a mate over the Christmas break. We were camping and he showed me the right technique for casting. Once I got the hang of it, I was hooked. My brother has been a flyfisherman for 20 years, never did I think it would be enjoyable. Now with bike in hand, I may have to take fly rod in the other and try my luck.
i did a TAFE course on fly fishing 15 years ago. I learned how to cast and tie flies( forgotten it all since) and I even bought a collpaseble rod/reel. I sort of lost interest but i would love to have a go in those Alpine streams one day.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #72
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
This might be my new favorite thread. I just ordered a 7.5' 3 pc fly rod the other day to make packing it easier on the F650. My 9' 2pc is long even broken down.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #73
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
This might be my new favorite thread. I just ordered a 7.5' 3 pc fly rod the other day to make packing it easier on the F650. My 9' 2pc is long even broken down.
I just got a 3wt 7 1/2' in the late fall and did manage one trip out with it. Makes my 5wt 9' feel like a baseball bat. Itchin to get over to WV and hit some streams.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 AM   #74
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 533
I could contribute a few pictures with fish I caught, but sadly no fly fishing... I do like to pack my spinning rod and hit the lakes around here though.

I would very much like to get into fly fishing, and to acquire some gear without dumping too much money.

Where do I start? Is something like this workable? Any other suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Wright-McGill-...d_sim_sbs_sg_4

Thanks in advance!!
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #75
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
About a million years ago when I was in graduate school and had very little money one of the things I chose to spend my limited funds and time on was fly fishing from my motorcycle. I lived in south-central Wyoming near some fantastic fishing, so I'd load up a pack rod, some flies, water, some food, and hop on my Montesa Cota 247 and head up into the mountains for some stream or beaver pond action. It combined three of my favorite pastimes - motorcycling, fishing, and EATING what I caught .

This thread brought back some seriously fine memories! I wish I'd never sold that bike, it was bomb-proof and could go literally anywhere.

Doug