Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #76
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
I could contribute a few pictures with fish I caught, but sadly no fly fishing... I do like to pack my spinning rod and hit the lakes around here though.

I would very much like to get into fly fishing, and to acquire some gear without dumping too much money.

Where do I start? Is something like this workable? Any other suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Wright-McGill-...d_sim_sbs_sg_4

Thanks in advance!!
I bought a Cabela's Three Forks/Wind River combo for $69.99. It's just the rod/reel not all the other stuff. But I really like it.

Edit: It looks like it's not on sale anymore, but here is the link:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105571980
Old 01-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #77
doorman OP
Aimless

Oddometer: 224
I've heard that the cabelas combos are pretty good for the price

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #78
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
I've heard that the cabelas combos are pretty good for the price
I haven't had chance to take it fishing yet but first impression is it's very nice and good quality. Makes my old Cortland combo feel even cheaper lol.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #79
dcparks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Ok, moto? Check. fly? Not this time, but next time for sure. Cutty from a small lake near Big Bar, in the Chilcotins. Breakfast.

dcparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #80
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
I could contribute a few pictures with fish I caught, but sadly no fly fishing... I do like to pack my spinning rod and hit the lakes around here though.

I would very much like to get into fly fishing, and to acquire some gear without dumping too much money.

Where do I start? Is something like this workable? Any other suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Wright-McGill-...d_sim_sbs_sg_4

Thanks in advance!!
A lot of outdoor stores sell combos that have everything you need, rod, reel, line and a few flies. Look for a 4 piece 5 weight to get started with. You don't have to spend a lot to get started but watch out, it can snowball on you before you know it. I belong to a site called The Clymb that sells all kind of outdoor gear and clothes at about 40 to 60 percent off. I started with a Wetfly combo and right now until tomorrow night they have fly fishing gear on sale. I'm ordering some waders this time at half price.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #81
rpeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I have to travel very light while fishing on the bike - wet wading with swimming trunks, t-shirt, collapsible sun hat, Teva-like sandals, three-piece 6' 3wt rod/reel and a small pack for holding flies, leaders, and whatever else.

I'm such an incompetent packer that I wouldn't be able to fit things like waders, vest and a net in with all of the camping gear.
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #82
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
How did I miss this thread? I LOVE riding and fly fishing. Noticed there was a bunch of guys from ohio in this thread too.

My uncle took me fly fishing when I was in middle school over in PA to the place he's been going since they(this fam) were in grade school.(He'll be 51 this may I believe, and whole family hard core riders as well) Enjoyed it, but prolly the past 6 years Ive been just getting obsessive about it. All I wanna do is get waist deep in the creek with a killer hatch happening lately. Last year I got to go with my Uncle and cuz and some of his fam out to Yellowstone and fish. Im ready to just sell most all my worldly possesions, pack my truck and bike and go live in the mtns of montana riding and fly fishing the rest of days,lol.

When I bought my Explorer last year, its been a no brainer. Been riding to PA nearly every weekend that they go. We usually ride down to the creek as well. Its 4 hours over to Pa, then endless backroads to ride if the creek doesn't wanna cooperate.

Ive got 2 Cabelas rods. Ones a little better one, one cheaper all in one combo.

My "good" rod is a 9' 5wt 4 pc LSi rod I bought 2 years ago. I love it. But, I only had a cheap 7'6" cherrywood rod to learn on forever to compare it to though. Somehow I managed to break one of the guides on it, and Cabelas was fairly good about warranty replacing it for free for me.

I don't recall the exact combo of my other, but it was like $100 combo on sale. 9' 8wt I bought to steelhead fish up in the lake Erie tributaries. Again, my Uncle got me going, and now Im hopeless, lol. Last spring was my first real success with some steelhead and cant wait to get out this year now too.

My vest, waders, and wading boots fit in my big topcase. My rod is mounted as shown. Its a ram mount designed for some kinda roll cage/frame mount or something. Worked well so far.

Don't mind the pics if you've seen them already. I like to whore my fishing ones out.

Fishing creek, had to stop on the way home to cast a few.

You can just make out the end of my green rod case, behind my left side bag.Its mounted parallel with the frame rail. Not in the right angle in this pic.

From my last run over this fall, didn't ride my explorer as I took my WR450 on the back of my Tahoe instead.

18.5" brown otta this hole. If you look nearly in the center just left in the water, you can barely make out a light spot in there which is what I was going for.

And what the hell, steelhead from last spring. I don't think I rode up there that exact time. Money well spent on that 8wt rod. I don't think my 5 wt would have survived that fight.

And my bike keys. BTW, I LOVE motoflyfishing.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #83
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Love fly fishing as well. I think Orvis has as much of my money as Procycle. I've yet to go via the bike yet but that's the plan this year. I picked fly fishing up this past Summer and already have several thousands in gear. I fish a lot of ponds and lakes and use a float tube. I've not fished any rivers/streams yet but want to do this pretty badly this year. Went this morning but when I got there I realized my fishing license was expired. Was quite irritated. The ponds and lakes I fish are part of the Oregon Fishing Club and all stocked. They are all catch and release... But you rarely run into anyone else in the club so it's nice. Maybe this Fall I'll pick up a 8wt rod and learn how to catch Steelhead.

Subscribing to this thread...
Old 01-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #84
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post

I just ordered a Cabela's case similar to this to carry my 3pc. I am looking forward to getting out on my F650 and doing a lot of fishing this year.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #85
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,715
Not sure how I missed this thread either.
I'll have to post some pics when I get a chance.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #86
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
I just ordered a Cabela's case similar to this to carry my 3pc. I am looking forward to getting out on my F650 and doing a lot of fishing this year.
Thats the way I carry mine. Hose clamped to the cross bars on the back side of my pannier racks. It lives there permanently and I just put the rod in it when I go fishing.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #87
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
I have a 3" pvc tube located on the opposite side from the exhaust that is originally for my gazateers for when I travel. The case slides right in and is secure with a bungee. Works great.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #88
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderddonald View Post
A lot of outdoor stores sell combos that have everything you need, rod, reel, line and a few flies. Look for a 4 piece 5 weight to get started with. You don't have to spend a lot to get started but watch out, it can snowball on you before you know it. I belong to a site called The Clymb that sells all kind of outdoor gear and clothes at about 40 to 60 percent off. I started with a Wetfly combo and right now until tomorrow night they have fly fishing gear on sale. I'm ordering some waders this time at half price.
Thank you very much for your advice
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #89
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
Fishing creek, had to stop on the way home to cast a few.

Is that Fishing Creek in Clinton County, near Lamar?
I'm about 6-8 miles from there.

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #90
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac View Post
Is that Fishing Creek in Clinton County, near Lamar?
I'm about 6-8 miles from there.
YES! That was a late summer weekend i ride over to my uncles familys place. They have a place over the hill from millhiem towards poe valley park. If I'm not home for the weekend, that's where I'll be riding or fishing.

I'm terrible with road names, but that's the road the hatchery is on. Rental cabins are behind my bike down the road maybe 50 yards

Normally fish the Penns, but by late summer was super low and over 70 degrees. So my Uncle took my cousin and i up there Saturday evening instead since it stays much cooler. Had to swing in to cast a few on the way up to 80 Sunday afternoon heading home.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote