ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
jeffjbmw OP
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 733
Why is it that I live in the only place you can't ride in the dirt easily......

Living in NOVA with a dirt bike is frustrating. Anyone got suggestions that a noob dirt rider can get himself some experience?
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjbmw
Living in NOVA with a dirt bike is frustrating. Anyone got suggestions that a noob dirt rider can get himself some experience?
Taking a leisurely ride on a local golf course will quickly progress into a learning experience on riding grass, sand, berms, hills, water obstacles, et al in very short order. It's kind of like a hare scramble, a retirement community, and an episode of cops all rolled into one!

On second thought, don't do it. I had to park my bike for over a month... hidden in the back of the shed, covered, with lots of stuff piled on top of it...

Seriously, I imagine NoVA can be a pretty tough place for a ds rider. I'm guessing you'd have to head west, toward Front Royal or down toward Remington to find some dirt roads. Central VA is getting the same way.

Have you hooked up with any riders in your area? I've found the guys down this way are awesome and love sharing their spots with folks.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,266
West Virginia
Old 09-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,521
Good paying jobs, healthy economy, and cultural amentities preclude decent local dirt riding opportunities,

Or at least, that's been my experience.

There used to be some places in that area that were "tolerated", but I think they're all gone, now.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R
Taking a leisurely ride on a local golf course will quickly progress into a learning experience on riding grass, sand, berms, hills, water obstacles, et al in very short order. It's kind of like a hare scramble, a retirement community, and an episode of cops all rolled into one!

I wish I saw an episode of cops like that one day.
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE

I wish I saw an episode of cops like that one day.
its much more fun to be a participant in said episode.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
kashlak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
The Metro DC and Baltimore suck for offroading!!!! Get a dualsport or start driving is the only way to find some dirt
kashlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Whitebone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
As long as you are willing to drive an hour or two each way there are tons of riding areas. If you are not willing to drive then the riding sucks. Start racing hare scrambles too. Helps plan a ride and you will get at least two hours of riding in.
Whitebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,753
I used to be very against hauling bikes for any reason. But sometimes you're better off having a smaller lighter better dirtbike/dualsport and trucking/towing it out to a good riding area and making the day of it. I reason w/ myself that its okay to haul my DR cause the highway would destroy my knobbies in no time.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #10
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
I am one lucky S.O.B., I have my own personal playground/secret riding area. I have only one riding partner, who rides twice a month. So i usually ride alone. I would invite more folks to ride, but im afraid it will upset the delicate balance. I putt as steathily as poss. through my streets for .5 mile into the woods, waving at everyone along the way. I only run STOCK mufflers,and dont tear up a blade of grass where anyone can see it. I especially would not want anyone parking trucks & trailers along the road,& doing "warm up laps" wide open with no helmet on. So you can see my dilema, that said I rode yesterday,not to muddy but slippery as snot on the door knob,& im riding again today & prob tomorrow too.All w/o a truck or a ny travel, but I ride alone. ..........Cheers
Attached Images

woods wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 09-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #12
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
I've felt the same frustrations you all are talking about X2. I bought bikes for my son and I 3yrs ago. The dirt bikes hang in the garage most of the time. I bought a DRZ400S to break the haul it problem. Then I bought a BMWK75.

My son now has his MC LP and we are able to ride together, him on the Z bike and me on the K bike.

About an hour due west of Leesburg near Winchester is place called MotoCove, haven't riden it yet but looks like it has alot to explore.

I also have seen lots of ride reports on thumper talk about great riding out near the western counties of virginia (Monterey area).

I'll just toss out for concideration, that I have a well set up 2003 YZ250F that I'd concider trading for another DRZ .....

Another source of riding info is NVTR.

The sun just popped out going to go for a little ride....

RO2
RideOn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Damifino
Damn if I know

Oddometer: 652
Join the Northen Va Trail riders here: www.NVTR.org
06 Vespa Granturismo 200L
Green Marble Enduro Riders http://gmer.us
Damifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
ggdualsport
Looking for adventure

Oddometer: 35
Oh man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods wizard
I am one lucky S.O.B., I have my own personal playground/secret riding area. I have only one riding partner, who rides twice a month. So i usually ride alone. I would invite more folks to ride, but im afraid it will upset the delicate balance. I putt as steathily as poss. through my streets for .5 mile into the woods, waving at everyone along the way. I only run STOCK mufflers,and dont tear up a blade of grass where anyone can see it. I especially would not want anyone parking trucks & trailers along the road,& doing "warm up laps" wide open with no helmet on. So you can see my dilema, that said I rode yesterday,not to muddy but slippery as snot on the door knob,& im riding again today & prob tomorrow too.All w/o a truck or a ny travel, but I ride alone. ..........Cheers
How can you share your slice of heaven and taunt us NOVAers with great pics and then not share the experience?

Oh well, I don't have a bike yet anyway! If I was closer to dirt, I'd be moving a little faster on the purchasing part!

Hope you continue to have great rides--let me know if you are going to open her up to more riders in the future.

Thanks,

ggdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote