Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
twisted throttle OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Replacing Spark Plugs - 2008 F650GS

Ok,

For the better part of yesterday I thought I would attempt to change out my spark plugs... I woke up energized and full of enthusiasm and couldn't wait to get the day started.. I also wanted to prove to my wife that I was somewhat mechanically inclined and could do some maintenance on my bike.

You will have to forgive me as I don't know the proper terminology for the parts... Anyway, I got as far as the "airflow" box where the air filter is but now I'm stuck.. I can see the plugs.. The plugs are sooooooo close. I can't figure out how to get the airflow box off.

There are two hoses connected to the bottom... How do I remove those? What else has to removed?

I need help really bad.. I feel the frustration setting in.. Plus, my wife is laughing at me...

Thanks,

Tony

twisted throttle screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 05:24 PM
twisted throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,772
Might help.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,417
Sorry Tony, wish I was there to help. Ummmmm, I'm going to bet you don't have the correct spark plug wrench either. The Plugs are due on the 40's......40k kms, 80k etc and are done along with checking the valves.

What's the real issue????
Old 06-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted throttle View Post
Plus, my wife is laughing at me...
She's not alone! You may be in over your head if you're stuck on the simple parts. This ain't the help that you are looking for but maybe you should pay someone that's good at these things. Mess up a coil because you don't have the removal tool or know how to do it without the tool and you won't have saved anything. Like some one said you may not even have the tools to get to the plug, and ever who checks the valves will be right there anyway so labor will be $0 at that point. BTW the plugs last a very very long time so if you are doing it just to be doing it, save the effort and go riding!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,054
If you do not have 25,000kms on the bike do not bother with the plugs.

If you don't have a coil stick removal tool, you will need patience and strong fingers. I have done it, but it is a headache.

If you are not absolutely sure you do not have the correct THIN WALL SOCKET FOR THE SPARK PLUGS don't even think about changing them.
If you jam a plug socket in there that has a normal wall thickness, you're wife will be ROTFL at you to the point of hysteria.

Be absolutely sure you have a plug socket with a thin enough wall to fit, there is very little clearance in there.

If you are going to have a valve clearance check done, let them change the plugs and the valve cover gasket at the same time. Yes, many people will tell you to reuse the old gasket, yes the gaskets are expensive, but these bikes area pain in the ass to clean with oil and crap all over the motor.

If you are having difficulty with accessing the plugs, I just want to suggest that maybe you should go to a good independent mechanic and have him let you watch a valve inspection and plug change if he/she will let you.
Removing the bodywork and the airbox is very straightforward and you shouldn't be having any trouble at that stage of the job.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,417
I think the OP got relegated to kitchen duty.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I think the OP got relegated to kitchen duty.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote