ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
LostViking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Time for another "Big Pig"

Well after having several road only bikes, i feel the need to return to the dirty side. Since i live in the extreme northern Adirondacks. I have an abundance of on and off road adventure opportunities. But also limited acess to dealers.

The closest one being Land/Air in Vermont. If anyone has any feedback on them please let me know. If it is negative please PM me as I would rather not start a dealer bashing thread.

I am fresh off a test ride of the new GSWC, it is very nice. Also in my consideration is Yamaha's Super Tenere. And of course the 990.

Much like politics I prefer to hear the good things one has to offer, rather than the bad about the others. So no brand bashing if you please.

Having owned a '05.5 950, I am somewhat familiar with the platform.

I see an opportunity to possibly grab a 990 at a decent price prior to the new bike being released. I traveled quite a bit on the road with my 950 and felt it did fine.

Obviously all three bikes have strengths and weaknesses. I want to hear more about the new 990's strengths and weaknesses, again than just bashing the other two.

I had an '06 GS and did not personally care for it, but the bike did what it was supposed to do with zero drama.
I have no experience with the Tenere, but understand it slots nicely between the GS and the 990.

Please bear with me, as I am sure this question has been asked many times before. But at this point I don't have a ton of extra money to adjust if I screw this up.

Just for reference and so you guys don't think I'm just hear trolling, here is a link to my thoughts on my 950;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262198

LostViking screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 08:52 AM
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
The KTM will put a bigger smile on your face..
2007 KTM Super Enduro - Sold - HUGE Mistake letting it go
2006 KTM Adventure S - Sold / 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto - Sold
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
boat.man
Chief bottle washer

Oddometer: 166
2 sleds
lets go play!!
boat.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
If you're coming from a BMW, just buy a KTM. It's the only logical choice... Mind you, I'd say that to anyone with a bike period. My 990 is pure giggles, super capable and quite honestly the MOST FUN bike I have ever own from Harleys to Hondas to Yami's to Kawi's etc etc... Street or dirt I will take the 990 out for a ride over anything else I've previously owned or own right now. It's just a damn good bike! BUY ONE!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,126
I spent three seasons on an 05.5 and loved every minute. Downsized to a 640 which I still have, then last August I bought an S10 for a road/2-up sled.

All of the above are great motorcycles.

The S10 is extremely low maintenance and one great road bike but limted off-road by its size. Performance wise the S10 is more than fast enough and handles, brakes etc with confidence. No disappointment in this pruchase at all.:)

Of the 3, I will own another 950/990 someday, if that answers your question.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
I looked t the S10 with great anticipation when they came out but after riding with one last week I'm dissapointed. Too bulky, too low, wrong ergos and undersuspended by a huge margin for off-road use. Now you said off-road, you do mean off-road not gravel roads right? For an easy paced gravel road cruiser it would likely do the job but no better than a V-Strom.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 370
I bought my 2010 990 for myself for xmas in 2010 off the showroom floor with 0 km's. I now have over 45k km's. The other day I found some new dirt roads near Mazatenango, then off to Lago Atitlan, here in Guatemala. A bit of mud, lot's of stone, hills, ruts, mucho rain, solitude, and this bike, still, without fail, puts a smile, so f~ing big on my face I can't believe it!! I honestly doubt I would feel this with the other bikes you mentioned. Didn't get to test ride the s10 when I chose to get my 990, but don't feel I'm missing much. The BMW didn't and doesn't impress me. It doesn't feel like the "big pig" as on your post, it's lively and responds to you. As far as maintenance and dealership, forget that! Work on her yourself and save the money for the gas and farkles! Nothing like knowing, intimately how she clicks and is put together. Love my bike and wont trade it for anything out there!!!

what car?? screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 10:34 PM
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
ktm, no canbus, no single electronic brain to do everything, no contest.
And its damn capable on the black top as well, just done a weeks 3000mile trip round europe last week, and my 990 had faultless manners on the autobhan, ok I have a Renzaco seat on mine which does make a difference but anyone who says that they dont do distance touring well is clueless.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,199
all depends on use. i like the jack of all trades 990 adv, with a nod toward dirt use. the gs can be ridden on dirt, but it is no as much fun imho.

a buddy had the same debate last week. i went with him to test ride the 13' gs1200w. compared the the 990, the new 1200 is faster, and i think a better street bike out of the box. i didn't like the roto tiller like bar setup but i did like the comfyness of the seat. after my buddies test ride, he had complaints about the noise of the bike and did not like that the screen rattled and vibrated. he took his deposit back.

he had ridden my adv, and wasn't that impressed. but, he bought one 2 days after the gs ride. after his first 10 mile jaunt, he got off the bike and said "i f'n love it..." and he is a dyed in the wool bmw fan.

*edit* i like how the OP posted this in orange crush. of course, most of the responses will be pro adv. post this in the gs forum or whatever forum the tenere is in, and i am sure responses will be tilted toward those makes... just sayin'
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
Own a 05.5 and figure a few pluses and minus with the 990 but still think of them as the same bike.

If I am wrong that may be your question.

Otherwise when I often see this question when people are looking at the adventure bikes it really comes down to a simple question to ask yourself.

What do you want to do and how do you ride? Do you want to play rally racer or not? Ya ok with bags once in awhile but the KTM rally pedigree has to be something that stirs your soul. Otherwise move on.