ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,142
Talk me out of the new Blackberry Q10

What can I say, I'm a dinosaur when it comes to cell phones. I like my Blackberry. I really enjoy having an actual keyboard (have typed on my wife's iPhone and, even when your turn it sideways and get the larger "keyboard" I don't like it).

Three or four friends from ADV all have the Galaxy III and I think it's the slickest thing since sliced bread . . . but it doesn't have a "real" keyboard.

Do any of you in the know have any idea if the new BB will have any of the fun, helpful, features that the iPhone and the Galaxy III have? Or would I only be getting a newer version of my three year old BB Bold?
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
What can I say, I'm a dinosaur when it comes to cell phones. I like my Blackberry. I really enjoy having an actual keyboard (have typed on my wife's iPhone and, even when your turn it sideways and get the larger "keyboard" I don't like it).

Three or four friends from ADV all have the Galaxy III and I think it's the slickest thing since sliced bread . . . but it doesn't have a "real" keyboard.

Do any of you in the know have any idea if the new BB will have any of the fun, helpful, features that the iPhone and the Galaxy III have? Or would I only be getting a newer version of my three year old BB Bold?
The Droid 4 has the best physical keyboard I've used on a cell phone.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
The Droid 4 has the best physical keyboard I've used on a cell phone.
Does it have the other cool features the newer phones all seem to have as well?
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
The Droid 4 has the best physical keyboard I've used on a cell phone.
Is that a membrane keyboard? It'd surprise me if a membrane keyboard scores highly on your list.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
jdiaz
.
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Flyover State
Oddometer: 32,054
$199 with contract? Who do they think they are, Apple?

I'd wait for the back-to-school sale when they will be $0 with a new contract.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
$199 with contract? Who do they think they are, Apple?

I'd wait for the back-to-school sale when they will be $0 with a new contract.
Excellent idea. But it brings me back to the original question of 'do I want one or do I need to grow up and move on to newer technology?'
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
$199 with contract? Who do they think they are, Apple?

I'd wait for the back-to-school sale when they will be $0 with a new contract.
I'd blow $200 on one. Don't give a rat's ass about apple whatever...my most important feature is a functional keyboard. It's fundamental to me being able to text while driving somewhat responsibly. And until Siri starts making better sense of Vietnamese names, and what not...keyboards are still king. So my choices are limited. I was totally going to blow my $$s on the Q10. But I didn't realize there were android alternatives. Now it's just a question of how well spec'd the platforms are vis-a-vis their operating demands, vs. how well supported the software community is.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
What can I say, I'm a dinosaur when it comes to cell phones. I like my Blackberry. I really enjoy having an actual keyboard (have typed on my wife's iPhone and, even when your turn it sideways and get the larger "keyboard" I don't like it).

Three or four friends from ADV all have the Galaxy III and I think it's the slickest thing since sliced bread . . . but it doesn't have a "real" keyboard.

Do any of you in the know have any idea if the new BB will have any of the fun, helpful, features that the iPhone and the Galaxy III have? Or would I only be getting a newer version of my three year old BB Bold?
I know that you like a good old physical keyboard but you seriusly need to give a touch keyboard some time so you can get used to it. It was like that at the beggining with my iPhone, I couldn't write anything but after a few weeks I got used to it and now I love it!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Does it have the other cool features the newer phones all seem to have as well?
It has the latest version of Android and runs it well, what it doesn't have are the super high resolution displays out now (540x960 VS 1080x1920 that some have).

The screen on the Q10 will be better (Super AMOLED so brighter & higher density with 720 x 720) but the Droid's is 1/3 bigger.

As for features the Droid 4 is basically the Droid Razr, so 2 generations back from top of the line processors, it has a 1.2 Ghz dual core. Though the Q10 isn't much better with a 1.5 Ghz dual core. For comparison the Galaxy S4 (US version) will have a 1.9 Ghz quad core processor.

The Q10 has double the RAM though using the Droid 4 I can say that's not an issue anymore. Initially on Android 2.3 it would have occasional slow downs but on Jelly Bean it's very smooth.

The bad news is the physical keyboard is going the way of the dodo, the Droid line is already months overdue for a new phone and they completely skipped it when they redid the Razr's which share their guts with it.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
I know that you like a good old physical keyboard but you seriusly need to give a touch keyboard some time so you can get used to it. It was like that at the beggining with my iPhone, I couldn't write anything but after a few weeks I got used to it and now I love it!
I still hate the iPhone's

The nice thing about the Droid is it has little nubs for the home keys so you can touch type with it. But the newer phones out there are much easier to type one. The Galaxy S4 is big enough that you can go pretty fast on it. I'm probably going to upgrade to the Galaxy Note 3 when it comes out.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
I know that you like a good old physical keyboard but you seriusly need to give a touch keyboard some time so you can get used to it. It was like that at the beggining with my iPhone, I couldn't write anything but after a few weeks I got used to it and now I love it!
Food for thought, thank you. Your method also has the advantage of preparing myself for the day, I expect in the not-too-distant future, when the "physical keyboard" goes away for good - at least on phones.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
It has the latest version of Android and runs it well, what it doesn't have are the super high resolution displays out now (540x960 VS 1080x1920 that some have).

The screen on the Q10 will be better (Super AMOLED so brighter & higher density with 720 x 720) but the Droid's is 1/3 bigger.

As for features the Droid 4 is basically the Droid Razr, so 2 generations back from top of the line processors, it has a 1.2 Ghz dual core. Though the Q10 isn't much better with a 1.5 Ghz dual core. For comparison the Galaxy S4 (US version) will have a 1.9 Ghz quad core processor.

The Q10 has double the RAM though using the Droid 4 I can say that's not an issue anymore. Initially on Android 2.3 it would have occasional slow downs but on Jelly Bean it's very smooth.

The bad news is the physical keyboard is going the way of the dodo, the Droid line is already months overdue for a new phone and they completely skipped it when they redid the Razr's which share their guts with it.
Thank you.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I still hate the iPhone's

The nice thing about the Droid is it has little nubs for the home keys so you can touch type with it. But the newer phones out there are much easier to type one. The Galaxy S4 is big enough that you can go pretty fast on it. I'm probably going to upgrade to the Galaxy Note 3 when it comes out.
The newest Galaxy ?#? I saw . . . Jeebus, it looked like a tablet computer. Probably has nearly the horsepower of one as well. I guess if I had a purse or something to schlep it around in it'd be fine, but I just use the screen lock on my BB and stick it in my back pocket.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
The newest Galaxy ?#? I saw . . . Jeebus, it looked like a tablet computer. Probably has nearly the horsepower of one as well. I guess if I had a purse or something to schlep it around in it'd be fine, but I just use the screen lock on my BB and stick it in my back pocket.
Actually the 1.9 Ghz quad core which will out perform most if not all tablets (as long as we're talking ARM and not x86 which are the desktop Intel/AMD processors) out right now.

I watched a review of the Q10:



Overall it seems like a decent middle range phone, the 200 dollar price tag is probably because they know they can get the crackberry crowd. It wont be able to compete with those lower specs at that price so I'd expect a drop in the near future. It's worth 100 no question as of right now though.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
jdiaz
.
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Flyover State
Oddometer: 32,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Food for thought, thank you. Your method also has the advantage of preparing myself for the day, I expect in the not-too-distant future, when the "physical keyboard" goes away for good - at least on phones.
I had an iPhone 2.5g for three years......never came to terms with the keyboard. My last three phones have been Blackberries with keyboards.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014