Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
I had an iPhone 2.5g for three years......never came to terms with the keyboard. My last three phones have been Blackberries with keyboards.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. So far it's you, DriveShaft and me.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Hannda OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I watched a review of the Q10:

That was helpful, thank you.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
It's fundamental to me being able to text while driving somewhat responsibly.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Actually the 1.9 Ghz quad core which will out perform most if not all tablets (as long as we're talking ARM and not x86 which are the desktop Intel/AMD processors) out right now.

I watched a review of the Q10:

Overall it seems like a decent middle range phone, the 200 dollar price tag is probably because they know they can get the crackberry crowd. It wont be able to compete with those lower specs at that price so I'd expect a drop in the near future. It's worth 100 no question as of right now though.
Alot of times, the direct comparisons are a little misleading; cross-platform processing comparisons need to be based on numbers of operations per second, or something like that, due to the inherent differences in how efficiently each OS makes use of various aspects of the architecture.

It still sounds like the Q10 is the better choice. I'm not a huge gamer, or consumer of...consumer apps...mostly practical stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
There's no way to ride a motorcycle safely either, yet some of us have been doing it since before two-way pagers existed. It's not something I trust the general public to do well, but I trust my own experience. Consider it a superiority complex.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 06:28 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,306
My experience with Blackberry is that once they bring out the next model they completely cease any support of existing devices. My last Blackberry was about 2 years old when it basically stopped working. I called and that was their explanation: you can't expect us to support a device that's two years old.

Hopeless. Samsung or Iphone for sure.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #21
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,016
Quote:
Alot of times, the direct comparisons are a little misleading; cross-platform processing comparisons need to be based on numbers of operations per second, or something like that, due to the inherent differences in how efficiently each OS makes use of various aspects of the architecture.
That's definitely true, the jump from 2.3 to 4.0 and especially 4.2 have definitely improved performance on my phone.

Quote:
It still sounds like the Q10 is the better choice. I'm not a huge gamer, or consumer of...consumer apps...mostly practical stuff.
I know I'm a "little" biased, but for practical apps there should be basically no difference between the 2 as neither will be taxing the performance of the phones. I'd try em both out and see how you like the GUI of android 4.3 VS Blackberry 10, and try out the keyboards.

Also to the OP when do you need to upgrade by? Because once these phones are no longer the brand new ones (which only lasts 1-2 months now it seems) they have to knock down the price to move em.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 07:14 AM
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
Hannda OP

Quote:
Also to the OP when do you need to upgrade by? Because once these phones are no longer the brand new ones (which only lasts 1-2 months now it seems) they have to knock down the price to move em.
That's the beauty of my situation. My phone is working fine and I don't "need" to upgrade. I'd just like to have some of the cooler things the newer phones have. I have the keyboard, but don't have a touch screen or the scrolling on the screen or the ability (that I know of) for some of the apps that the newer phones all seem to have. I can wait a few months and watch the prices drop. That typically sees the initial purchasers reporting to the mfgs all of the bugs in their system and the mfgs getting a 2nd generation out only a few months after the launch that has the bugs worked out. It's the same reason I'm waiting on a laptop. I'm not prepared to make the switch to Windows 8 until they make it more business friendly and not just a toy for the twitchy teenagers who like to do everything on a tablet while "swiping" with their fingers.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #23
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
My experience with Blackberry is that once they bring out the next model they completely cease any support of existing devices. My last Blackberry was about 2 years old when it basically stopped working. I called and that was their explanation: you can't expect us to support a device that's two years old.

Hopeless. Samsung or Iphone for sure.
That's largely based on the carrier not the hardware supplier. It does suck that support cycles seem to be getting shorter. The hardware vendor would be happy to keep the gravy train running. It's usually the carrier's customer-support ops that foots most of the operating expenses to keep the phone lines open, stock the b-stock, etc, so it's usually the carrier that is eager to end-of-life the old models. BBY did have an ugly jump to make, though, by bagging the old OS. I'm sure it was a tough call to make. That definitely adds a hiccup to the lifecycle, bcs now there's a hard stop to the upgrade path of the old OS...lots of pissed off old users, when software versions for things like flash, etc, start passing them by.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
That's the beauty of my situation. My phone is working fine and I don't "need" to upgrade. I'd just like to have some of the cooler things the newer phones have. I have the keyboard, but don't have a touch screen or the scrolling on the screen or the ability (that I know of) for some of the apps that the newer phones all seem to have. I can wait a few months and watch the prices drop. That typically sees the initial purchasers reporting to the mfgs all of the bugs in their system and the mfgs getting a 2nd generation out only a few months after the launch that has the bugs worked out. It's the same reason I'm waiting on a laptop. I'm not prepared to make the switch to Windows 8 until they make it more business friendly and not just a toy for the twitchy teenagers who like to do everything on a tablet while "swiping" with their fingers.
The Q10 should be good if you choose to get it, the OS 10 or whatever the official abbreviation is, is already on its first update with the Q10. It's not a clusterfuck like the Storm was (an ex had that phone and it barely worked until the 2nd update IIRC) so you'll just be getting a few nice updates but likely nothing major.

Oh and for Windows 8 I just had to configure one of those computers in a office where everything else is Windows 7. That stock GUI is a real shit show if you're trying to find stuff, but toss classic shell on there and it's basically Windows 7....but more efficient. It even boots right to the desktop instead of the "metro" interface. I would wait 6-12 months for the next generation of Intel processors though, the one that came out mostly improved the integrated graphics.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #25
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,163
Had Blackberries most of the time. Borrowed an iphone5s for the weekend No thanks. Had the Torch for the longest time until I got caught in the rain - best of both worlds slider with a physical keyboard and a screen keyboard if you wanted. Best phone I've had - sadly dead now. Got a bold as a temp replacement - hoping for either the Z10 or Q10 ... or hoping they come out with a new Torch Z

Haven't really had a go on any android phones as such.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #26
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
Had the Torch for the longest time until I got caught in the rain - best of both worlds slider with a physical keyboard and a screen keyboard if you wanted. Best phone I've had - sadly dead now.

My first Torch also died prematurely from barely a hint of moisture. I thought about filling the new one with RTV to keep that from happening again.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #27
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
My first Torch also died prematurely from barely a hint of moisture. I thought about filling the new one with RTV to keep that from happening again.
I kept putting off getting a waterproof case for it Got caught out in the rain and thought I'd dried it off enough to power back on ...... zzzzzzzzap
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
I kept putting off getting a waterproof case for it Got caught out in the rain and thought I'd dried it off enough to power back on ...... zzzzzzzzap
Really? My friend has gone hot tubbing with his...multiple times, and all it took was a drying out, being baked a little with dessicant, and it was working alright. That always gave me the impression that they were pretty sturdy, even if they chose practical finishes over fancy-ass finishes.

My bold hasn't crapped out yet...but my 18-month old decided it'd be cool to slam it down on a bolt...so now the screen is shattered. news flash...the touch screen on the 9300-series bold is totally superfluous. I am getting by on just the "pearl" controller in the middle for the last 2 weeks. Still itching to upgrade, though, as the shattered screen does kind of reflect light poorly in direct sun.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #29
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,144
I like the new "Q"

I still have my 9930 Tour and I have been procrastinating an upgrade waiting for the Q10. My broker dealer has some crap encryption software on my Tour. I'm a self employed insurance and securities salesman and I supply my own equipment but my securities broker dealer encrypts and reviews my messaging activities.

I'm planning on changing broker dealers or dropping my securities registration all together by year end. That will be a good time make the change and the Q's bugs should be worked out.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #30
Hannda OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
I like the new "Q"
As someone who likes/wants one, do you see any shortcomings between it and, say, the iPhone5 or the Galaxy III (or whatever's current for Samsung) or the Droid4 that was mentioned above? Have you done any research, or are you just a techno-troglodyte like me who wants one because they're familiar and they have a physical keyboard? I want one, I'm just worried I may be missing out on "bigger, better, more" from other vendors. That being said the video that N&VS put up got me thinking that the Q10 might not be a bad move, at least for me, after all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: