User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Molonlabemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Mike and Tae do Big Sur

So after an epic ride to Death Vally a few months ago I was itching to ride with some friends. Almost a year ago to the day I bought my DR650 and wanted to go ride somewhere. The year prior I traveled up the coast with my father and I fell in love with PCH. I hit up some friends and proposed my route plans which everyone agreed would be fun. Unfortunately one buddy had to fall out so it was up to Tae and myself to lead the charge. This also gave me a chance to test out my new Klim gear that I recently picked up for my upcoming TAT trip

The Route was simple, head up PCH as much as possible and do some camping just outside of Big Sur. We decided to meet up at the Walmart in Glendora and then battle traffic at 7am.

Running a little behind I didn’t take the time to make sure my phone was secured in my tank bag map pocket. A few miles later on the 210 splitting lanes I went to itch my neck and knocked my headphone cable which yanked my phone out of my tank bag and onto the freeway. Panicked, I pulled over into the emergency lane and turned around in search for my phone. Thankful the carpool lane was only going 10-15mph I was able to spot my phone sitting on the double yellow lines. I waited for the right moment and I scooped it up and moved on.

Normally I would not risk getting my phone but this phone (iPhone 6+) was a trade with my mother who liked my smaller phone which had insurance. Once arrived at Walmart I looked over my phone and to my surprise it was ok other being a little banged up on the case.

Now it was time to battle the traffic for another hour and get to the 101 to head up to Santa Barbara for Breakfast.

Sambos is a great little breakfast spot that allows us to watch the bikes, see the beach, and eat.

After getting our gear off and a little Rockstar down the hatch I started looking at my phone and noticed something didn’t look right. Turns out it got ran over by the bike that was behind me and bent the phone. Screen is in perfect shape and nothing else is really broken, semi good job apple!

Food time!

With food in our belly we hit the road to leave Santa Barbara in in mirrors and have Pismo on the horizon.

We made decent time getting to Pismo and the original plan was to ride on the beach. That all changed when we realized that loaded bikes and the lack of paddles, the sand dunes were a little outside our grasp. So we walked around and got hit on by some ladies on some horses.

Next stop was Cambria were we would gas up, beer up, and grab some lunch.

Once we got some gas we hopped on yelp and found a place to grub down, Bonies Tacos it is.

I will say, I was a bit skeptical that it was in the back end of Cambria so my expectation is low. Turns out I was way off the mark as the food was amazing! The owners were great people who even filled up our cooler to keep the beers cold. If you are in Cambria and need some chow check out Bonies Tacos.

It was time to keep going up the coast, next stop is the Elephant Seal preserve then off to camp.

Back on the road!

After a few hours/miles we arrived to our pull off and the first “real” dirt road. We are on DR650’s after all!

Getting a little higher!

Last turn off, Martins Top it is!

The first of our amazing view…just my luck. Here I am talking this spot up to Tae and we see this.

We couldn’t let this cloud covering bring us down, beer time

Now to set up camp

Wait, Tae hurry, see the view is amazing!

Yup… hats better!

More to come, beer time

Molonlabemike screwed with this post 05-23-2015 at 10:26 PM
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
frqflyr
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Nice start to your adventure!
frqflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
kirk824
n00b

Oddometer: 8
awesome report fellas! love the pictures and the detailed maps.
kirk824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
Molonlabemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So after enjoying a few more beers we noticed the sun was just about to set so we ran down to see if we could watch set.

Now back at camp and a few more beers drank we decided to start our BBQ. Tae told me he had a little surprise in the meat department and promised my tastebuds would be satisfied. Lucky for me he did not let me down. Never thought rib tips from the Korean market could taste so good!

Dinner in our belly and beer flowing through us we hit the sack. I was pretty excited as I wanted to try out my new sleeping bag that I picked up after our Death Valley trip. My old bag has been there, done that, and got sent home in an Uber. The new bag worked pretty damn well and I slept damn good. I even found the sweet spot for my inflatable pillow that I swore off on its first outing to Death Valley.

The next morning I woke up around 9 which was a bit later then we wanted as we had lots of miles to put under our belt today.

After some cleaning up around camp and packing everything up we were ready to hit the road…well we thought. The dreaded battery drain struck Tae’s bike for the second time with the first being in Death Valley.

So we knew what we needed to do to get the bike running. Tow it with mine and bump start it, easy right?

The first time we got it running after a long push up the hill to get out of our campsite. Here is Tae heading with the bike running and heading back to PCH.

As I was rounding the corner just to the left of the hill above I found Tae having a yard sale off the trail…nervous he might be hurt I rushed and helped him up before doing the right thing which is having photo evidence that it happened.

Now that I know he is ok, I realized that the bike is shut off which means we will need to tow it and then bump start it again. Being we were already a little worn out we took a little longer getting it started. After about 20 min of getting gear on/off & then getting the bike running we were ready to go until I did a stupid thing and turned his choke down which killed the bike. Back to the bump start when this happened.

Then after getting things ready Taes little buddy was flying around praying we were gonna call it quits and off ourselves so he could eat!

(Very large California Condor was circling us the entire time)

Finally we were back on the road rolling down with the bikes running…only 2 hours behind schedule.

Finally back on PCH, god that water looks amazing.

Next stop was getting gas in Big Sur then off to the Old Coast Road.

All gased up we relaxed for a little bit before heading back on the road. Just before we set off I noticed my left fork was looking kinda wet, strange I just rebuilt them. Sure enough my fork seal was blown and leaking like a sieve. No extra fork seals in the tool box so the show must go on.

Just outside of Big Sur is the turn off to the Old Coast Road. If you have never taken it make sure you put it on your to do list. The Old Coast Rd is ruffly 10 miles of a windy dirt road that parallels PCH.

Me trying to be funny, gotta remember the fast wave doesn’t really translate well in photos.

The Bixby Bride, also the furthest point of our trip.

Now it’s time to head on back home! Should be there around 8 or 9 right? Lets move!

The “Naval” light house…If only we could figure out what is really behind those gates!

After stopping in Cambria we were getting hungry but after last nights BBQ we could still use a little more BBQ. Were else would be better to get BBQ then Santa Maria, home of the Tri Tip! GPS marked we set off to Shaws Steakhouse for some traditional TriTip. Few hours latter we arrived!

The food was ok honestly. Coming from eating some of the most tender and flavorful meat the night before my hopes I guess were just to high. Overall it was decent but could be better.
On the way out I looked and found a nice puddle of shock fluid on the ground, the Suzie was trying it’s best to act like a Harley. I also realized that the shock fluid was getting all over my rotor and pads so I had to find a solution.

For the most part that kept the fluid off my rotor which allowed me to get home safe.

We rolled late into the evening and had to make 1 last gas stop in Ventura. I was able to make it home around 10:15 and Tae rolled in around 10:45ish. Given everything we had to deal with I think we made pretty damn good time.

Overall we had an amazing trip that allowed us to leave the work bs behind us and relax. I learned a few things that will help my TAT and beyond trip go a little smoother. First, a mid layer jacket is a must if I am forced to run late in the evening or in the cold. My wool sweater with a V neck just wasn’t cutting it as my Klim Overlander Jacket need a little more wind blocking capability. Since, I have picked up a North Face thermoball jacket that should cut the wind chill down as well as pack much smaller. Next my toiletries bag was too big and with limited space I needed something smaller. Went to REI and picked up a Eagle Creek small bag thats about half the size and half the weight. I also need to look into some winter gloves as my Alpinestars mesh carbons are great in the summer but crap in the cold.

Lastly I need to rerebuild my front forks. New pads, fluid, and seals are on there way. Hopefully this time it doesn't leak

Molonlabemike screwed with this post 05-23-2015 at 11:14 PM
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #5
Molonlabemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frqflyr View Post
Nice start to your adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk824 View Post
awesome report fellas! love the pictures and the detailed maps.

Thanks Guys. Fun little trip up the beautiful California coast, doesn't get much better.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:04 AM   #6
OnTheWay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Great ride, great read, Looking forward to more.

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #7
kumatae
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Tae's Perspective

I think Mike covered everything pretty well. Here are some of my perspective.

PCH: I've lived in CA for about 4 years now and have only traveled the 101 and 5 entire lengths multiple times. I could see why everyone says PCH is a must ride for cars and motorcycles alike. We were traveling on Monday/Tuesday and I can't imagine the crowds are like on the weekends so one should plan accordingly and not be in any kind of rush.

Ortlieb Quick Release: So when I went down after Mike had bump started it, we were in need to push it. I'm so glad that my panniers take few seconds to remove to make the bike lighter and to make pushing easier. Oh and even though, the left pannier took some of the impact of the crash, there was only minor scratches on them. Those things are pretty durable and convinient. Not good for thieves though but I think that could be said about all soft panniers. Also, the Moose Expedition Hard Top Case 47L Top box was pretty solid as well especially because I was able to remove it in less than a minute.

Shinko 705: I use my bike as a daily commuter as well to split lanes, saves me about 40 minutes on my way home. I also have two rear rims so one set are my knobbies and other my commuter. I installed these 705s not too long ago and since we were going to do a lot of pavement and fire roads, I stuck with these. I thought they were pretty awesome tires -EXCEPT the way they have the tires marked for front and rear rotation. It's the most confusing thing ever! Anyhow, I think I have it right according to few others on the internet. And even if I didn't, I'm going to leave it as is because I don't need that punishment.

Santa Maria Tri Tip: I sort of consider myself a bbq connoisseur. Spent a lot of time in the South and bought my first smoker in 2007 and have never looked back. Not sure if it was Shaw's trip tip but I didn't think it was that special. Meat itself was more like steak than BBQ. Perhaps there are other places that do it better but you can totally skip Shaw's.

The trip was pretty awesome. I need to get a new battery for the bike, have no clue why it's dying on me when I need it the most. Need a better way to charge my electronics.
kumatae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #8
Molonlabemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
I think Mike covered everything pretty well. Here are some of my perspective.

PCH: I've lived in CA for about 4 years now and have only traveled the 101 and 5 entire lengths multiple times. I could see why everyone says PCH is a must ride for cars and motorcycles alike. We were traveling on Monday/Tuesday and I can't imagine the crowds are like on the weekends so one should plan accordingly and not be in any kind of rush.

Ortlieb Quick Release: So when I went down after Mike had bump started it, we were in need to push it. I'm so glad that my panniers take few seconds to remove to make the bike lighter and to make pushing easier. Oh and even though, the left pannier took some of the impact of the crash, there was only minor scratches on them. Those things are pretty durable and convinient. Not good for thieves though but I think that could be said about all soft panniers. Also, the Moose Expedition Hard Top Case 47L Top box was pretty solid as well especially because I was able to remove it in less than a minute.

Shinko 705: I use my bike as a daily commuter as well to split lanes, saves me about 40 minutes on my way home. I also have two rear rims so one set are my knobbies and other my commuter. I installed these 705s not too long ago and since we were going to do a lot of pavement and fire roads, I stuck with these. I thought they were pretty awesome tires -EXCEPT the way they have the tires marked for front and rear rotation. It's the most confusing thing ever! Anyhow, I think I have it right according to few others on the internet. And even if I didn't, I'm going to leave it as is because I don't need that punishment.

Santa Maria Tri Tip: I sort of consider myself a bbq connoisseur. Spent a lot of time in the South and bought my first smoker in 2007 and have never looked back. Not sure if it was Shaw's trip tip but I didn't think it was that special. Meat itself was more like steak than BBQ. Perhaps there are other places that do it better but you can totally skip Shaw's.

The trip was pretty awesome. I need to get a new battery for the bike, have no clue why it's dying on me when I need it the most. Need a better way to charge my electronics.
Great addition Tae, it was great riding with you as always.

Please please please get a new battery my legs can not take pushing your bike up hills