Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #121
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,544
Day 4
Monday July 29, 2013
Itís time to wrap this Ladies Ride up.

Somehow I was packed, ready to go and was waiting for MTLee and Rainbow007 to get ready to head out. No wonder they werenít ready to go one of them was busy taking a picture of me being lazy.

Weíd been having a lot of fun but it was time to high tail it home. Once we got back to the Spokane area MTLee still needed to load her bike on the trailer and drive to Missoula after a day of riding. We were making a straight shot but riding the less traveled back roads.

Heading back through the Palouse provides a variety of terrain.

Something moving slower than me.

Iíve been past this a number of times and I have no idea what it is.

I like the way the fields look with the contrast from one side of the road to the other.

Rainbow007 and MTLee split off and headed to Post Falls, ID while I continue on to Spokane. The ride was nice even if we were in a hurry.

The stats for the 4 days:

I need to start keeping track of how many caches are found too. I logged them on www.geocaching.com but I donít remember how many there were.
Even though we didnít make it to Tygh Valley/Timothy Lake to meet with the other gals for the ladies ride and gathering I still had a great ride with two terrific ladies.

Oh yes, remember that thing we picked off the tree back on day one? Many of you probably already knew it was a walnut but it took us a few days watching it dry to figure out it was a walnut. This is what it looked like at the end of the ride.

That walnut entertained us during the entire ride. We would look at it at least a couple times a day and watch its progress turning into what we could recognize as a walnut. I'm surprised we didn't take more pictures of it through it's drying process.

This report will sit for awhile since I have a busy month ahead of me and I still have a crap load of photos to go through from my ride to AK, which will be the next segment. The nice thing about digital cameras is there is no film or developing costs. The down thing about digital cameras is there is no film or developing cost so I take way too many pictures and it takes me a long time to get through those pictures.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #122
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
Thanks for the RR Ladybug,

I enjoyed it and will stay tuned for your future travels. I was In Heppner in July and my initial impression (for the short/quick stop for gas) was it looked like a nice little town. The kind of place that feels like "home".
Ride (and cache) on.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #123
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Thanks Redog1 and I will return to add more. The end of Nov. through early spring I will have a lot more time to get through all those pictures and work on this.

I'm glad there are a few of you enjoying this thread.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #124
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I'm glad there are a few of you enjoying this thread.
Oh yes, still enjoying. I also worked there near Rashneeshville for the park service surveying the boundaries of the John Day Clairno unit just outside Antelope. That cafť was your basic central Oregon greasy spoon (refer Fossil, Shaniko, Mitchell, etc.) when we started our contract. By the time we were done, the town had "morphed", street names (not to mention the population) changed drastically, and the neat old cafť turned into a whitewashed, tea serving place called something like "Zorba the Buddhist" cafť. While working in the hills, we'd hear the daily noon-time Rolls-Royce parade drumming / chanting going on...

I am, and shall remain, subscribed .
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #125
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Down here in the San Joaquin Valley of CA, we grow a LOT of walnuts! That was my first guess when I saw the original photo.

When you spend all day picking walnuts, those husks stain your hands a nifty black that makes it look like you've been playing with shoe polish. It doesn't wash off, you have to wait for it to wear off.

I spent many an autumn afternoon gleaning walnuts with my grandparents when I was a yung'un. I hate walnuts.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #126
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Itís been awhile since I have added anything to this thread. I hope those of you that were following along with are still subscribed.

Please note: Underlined words are clickable links.

Alaska 2013

Backstory:
Alaska has called for adventurers over the last three centuries. In the 19th century the discovery of Gold in 1849 and the Klondike Gold Rush in 1896 had men making their way North in hopes of finding their fortune. In the 20th century the Fishing Industry, Canneries , and the Alaska Pipeline had people headed north looking for a different type of fortune. In the 21st century it looks like itís tourism with cruise ships and the popular reality show Deadliest Catch calling folks north, no longer looking for fortune but still looking for adventure.

Growing up in the Pacific Northwest and coming into my adult years in the 70s I knew a number of young men who went to AK and returned with stories of working the fishing boats or the pipeline and have pockets full of money. They worked hard, returned, partied, and blew all that hard earned cash. Some would go back and forth chasing the big bucks while others would only take on one stint because it really was hard dangerous work. I always enjoyed hearing the stories, how rugged it was, and what the living conditions were like. For years I wanted to see that rugged, last frontier for myself. That was another time, so long ago.

In 1960 Johnny Horton recorded North to AK for the movie by the same name starring John Wayne. I donít remember the first time I saw the movie but I know I heard the song many times before seeing the movie. My mom played music regularly in our house and Johnny Horton was a favorite. My brother and I would do silly dance skits to the stories in the songs that my mom played so we really thought about the words being sung. When my mom passed away she still had a record player and a stack of 45s which are all now in my basement. I wonder if I have that record?

Furthering my desire to go to AK was the TV program
Northern Exposure which aired in the early 90s. That program showed what I imagined AK to be like although a lot of it was filmed in my own home state of WA. Northern Exposure was set in a small AK town with dirt roads, small tattered homes, moose wandering main street and unique characters. The characters were loveable, down to earth and a bit quirky. The program had all the things I imagined AK to be.

For about the last 15 years my friend Rainbow007 and I talked about riding to AK together but thatís all we did, talked. We talked about doing it as a celebration for turning 50 but 50 came and went without the dream ride being completed. I did ride to AK in 2006 when I was 52 but Rainbow007 didnít want to take that much time away from work and I went alone.

Mile 0 of the Alcan 2006

My Northern Exposure dream was found in Hyder, AK only 1000 miles from home. It had dirt streets, interesting businesses and quirky characters. When I got to the AK sign I wanted a picture of my bike with the sign since I finally made it to AK. As I was getting off the bike to take the picture a hippie gal came out of the small house converted to gift shop that was located behind the AK sign. She had a huge smile, her arms open wide as she bellowed out "Welcome to Alaska" and gave me a big hug. Her name is Caroline and it was clear she loved everyone and was the unofficial welcoming committee. She offered to snap a photo for me so I could be in the picture. She was certainly fun to talk with.

Iím point at the AK sign not at the speed limit sign.

After my introduction to Hyder being what I was hoping for I thought the further north I went the better it would get as I visited Skagway, Haines, & Whitehorse YT. I was very disappointed when I got to Skagway and found it filled with tourists off the two cruise ships that were docked for excursions. Skagway was wall to wall people that didnít speak English and one gift shop after another filled with "made in China" goodies. Nope, that wasnít the AK I was looking for. Haines wasnít as bad but still it was lacking. After all those years of waiting and dreaming of visiting AK I sure was disappointed.

ADVer Falang did a great job of showing the then and now of AK. His ride report is the AK I dreamed of experiencing but missed because I kept waiting for "later". While I work on formulating my thoughts from my recent ride to AK enjoy Falangís 1980 AK ride:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948577

I'll be back . . .
Old 02-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #127
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
Hi Ladybug...

I like it. Johnny Horton was one of my favorite singers when I was a kid in the 60's. I had that album (still have it and now have the same album on cd) and played it over and over, as bad as my brother was with Peter Frampton. Northern Expose was one of my wifes favorite shows also. Sounds like your trip could have been complete had you stopped in Hyder and called it good.
Still following along. See you in June, routing complete. Planning still in progress.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #128
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

redog1, it's too bad Johnny Horton died young and the world didn't get to enjoy more of his music. At least we have the songs he recorded.

It's nice to know you have your route figure out to get to the Jamboree, now just finish up with the planning and you'll be set.

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 02:52 PM
Old 02-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #129
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Bucket lists, life lists, list of goals . . . . . . Many people have these lists, some people work on them, while others wait for "someday" to go after the adventures they desire.

Webster says: A bucket list is a list of things that one has not done before but wants to do before dying. First Known Use: 2006.

If you do a google search of bucket list itís amazing what comes up. Bucket list ideas. Bucket list blogs. Bucket list apps. Bucket list creatorsÖ.. People seem to be fascinated with these lists. I wonder what the percentage is of bucket list items that are actually completed.

At this point Iím sure you are wondering why I rode to AK again after my first experience was so disappointing. There is always a reason and often things a person thinks they never will do again ends up being done again. My friend Rainbow007 is working on her bucket list and I agreed to help her check off a few things. Since AK was still on Rainbow007s list it became a priority for 2013.

With Rainbow007 still not wanting to take too much time away from work I presented two plans for her to consider. This trip was for her so it was her choice. We could take one week and ride to Hyder, AK which would get her to AK, even if it was only a little bit of AK. The second option was two weeks and we would ride to Prince Rupert, BC take Alaskaís Marine Highway ferry through the inland passage to Haines. From Haines we could ride to Whitehorse, YT then to Skagway, AK. A train ride was also on her bucket list and we could do that in Skagway. After she thought about it for a few days she decided on the two-week plan.

A plan was created and we were on our way.

Sat. Aug. 17, 2013

Rainbow007 had her bike packed and ready

She came to my house and we were ready to head out at 6:15 am.

We head out one of my favorite ways of getting out of Spokane taking Rutter Parkway.

Followed the Spokane River for a short distance.

Past Little Falls Dam. Normally I like to stop but we had miles to make.

We rode through Wellpinit, WA and made our way through the Spokane Indian Reservation to Lake Roosevelt.

We crossed the river on the free ferry.

There was another rider there waiting for the ferry. Rainbow007 was inspecting his tire.

I like this ferry itís fun.

We followed the lake to Hwy 20.

On Hwy 20 we rode west to Republic, WA. We planned to fill our tanks here and Rainbow007 heard from a friend that was going to be in the area so we waited for a bit to see if they could connect with us for coffee.

Took a little time to enjoy the flowers.

Even though it was still early enough I was feeling a little tired so I drank a can of Red Bull for lunch. It gives me wings.

Rainbow007s friends didnít show up so we headed out to the Curlew Lake State Park.

There was a cache out here that I needed for the State Park challenge Iím working on. The cache was found out where there are a number of large windfalls. Didn't get a picture of all the down trees for some reason.

The ride between Curlew, WA and Midway BC is a nice ride. We crossed the border at Midway and the next stop was a truck scale.
My bike

In Canada things look so much lighter.

Rainbow007ís bike

We found a geocache at the scale and then we were on our way.

Stopped here for another cache.

We stopped for the night in Merritt, BC and stayed in a dive motel.

The route we took was a nice route but for some reason neither Rainbow007 or I got photos of the ride. For some reason I think I lost some photos from the day or I wasnít getting my camera turned on when I thought I did. I did take a picture of my GPS at the end of the day.

All in all it was an uneventful first day but we were started and we have a lot more to go. . . . .

Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #130
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Day 2 Sunday 8-18-13 headed for Hixon, BC

Waking up in Merritt, BC after staying in a dive motel we were ready to get out and see the sites or at least go look for a geocache. That took us to a cute museum that wasn’t open.

Must be laundry day.

Played peeping tom and looked in the windows.

A flower I was unfamiliar with.

And it has an interesting use.

Found the geocache in the big "rock".

Cool looking hotel we need to check it out a little closer but not right now.

After finding the geocache we were off. There were some pretty hillsides along the way.

Had to check out the bridge at Spences Bridge.

It’s time for me to go to bed and I didn't want to leave you in the middle of the Thompson River so I will take you to a motel. Enjoy

I’ll be back later and we will ride on . . . . . . .

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 02-06-2014 at 03:29 PM
Old 02-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #131
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

The rest of day 2

Did you enjoy your stay at the Baits Motel?

Lets ride.

Point of Interest, must stop.

Maps are always fun to look at.

Cool, Cache Creek Ė Might be a good place for a cache and weíre following a neat old car.

Thereís Cache Creek and we noticed this sign for Barkerville but again we canít stop we have a schedule since we have a ferry to catch.

We do have time to stop and find a cache here.

It took us a while but we finally figured out where it was. On the other end of that bolt.

Thereís the cache, that little black spot in there. Itís magnetic and is supposed to stick to the end of the bolt but the magnetic part was getting weak.

The pen is a mini and only 4" long. As you can see the cache is tiny. A small piece of paper is rolled up and in it to sign. I donít look for "bisons" very often because not only are they buggers to find but the logs are often buggers to get out of the container,sign and roll up tiny enough to get back in the container.

Enough of that fun time to have lunch. This place was great and I didnít think I would forget the name or where it was but I did. I had their business card but misplaced it too. Sheesh. I think it was at 100 Mile House, BC but could have been 70 Mile House, BC. The food was exceptional and I have never see such fluffy pancakes before. They also have a motel with a half dozen rooms.

After riding for a couple of hours we stopped for gas, just in time.

It wasnít raining when we pulled up to the pumps but by the time our tanks were full it was raining hard. We grabbed our rain gear and ducked into the store to put on the rubberized gear.

The downpour didnít last long and we were on our way again but we continued to run in and out of storms but not as hard as it was raining at the gas station.

I was happy

When I saw this

Between the rain, the gray skies and trying to make time I didnít get much for pictures for the rest of the day, just things like this.

We ended the day in Hixon, BC at an inexpensive interesting motel located next to the river.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #132
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
I'm enjoy this ride...and of course the geocaching. Another great adventure!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #133
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Hi

Nice to see your still following this thread. I was starting to think Redog1 and I were the ones here.

So, are you going to follow behind me and pick up some easy cache now that I have shown you where they are?
Old 02-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #134
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

I found my information so we will go back a little bit. The dive we stayed at in Merritt, BC was Knight’s Inn. It was expensive $95 Canadian plus tax. We knew things were going to be spendy the further North we went but wasn’t expected it in Merritt for an OK room but not all that great. I wouldn’t stay there again.

For an idea what my "standard" is for rooms Motel 6s are fine by me so it’s not like I’m super picky and if I say something is just OK it probably doesn’t come up to the standard of a Motel 6 but doesn’t have rodents running around or the roof leaking. I'm not looking for luxuries like pool, spa, etc. I just want a shower and clean bed.

I’m including the information about where we stayed, prices and what I thought of the rooms where I remembered to document it. When I read ride reports for places I might go I note things like motels and restaurants that look like some where I might want to stop. I hope this information is useful at some point to someone and I’m not just taking up space with boring information.

Next on the list is the Restaurant I liked but could remember where it was from the day before. It’s the Corral Restaurant in 70 Mile House, BC.

Day 3 Monday 8-19-13 headed for Prince Rupert, BC where we will catch the ferry.

The day was starting in Hixon, BC where we stayed at the Kreekside Motel. This one was more affordable $75.00 including tax. It looked like a real dive from the outside, even worse than the one in Merritt. We liked the price and there weren’t other options so we went with it. We were pleasantly surprised with the room. The motel is made from trailers converted into rooms and surprisingly comfortable.

Front door parking

A couple of single beds and plenty of room to put all our stuff.

A decent kitchen with coffee pot and coffee.

The bathroom was fine and the showers had plenty of hot water with real water pressure, no complaints there.

Family unit? At least it was interesting.

Like I said it looked like a dive on the outside but it was fine inside. I would stay there again.

The day started nicely.

Then we hit rain again and as we were just coming out of a construction area the storm really hit, heavy rain and wind so hard it was hard to keep the bike upright. It was raining so hard it looked more like it was night than day. I was happy we didn’t get hit with that while we were in the construction area and even better we only had about 10 miles until we found a town. I normally ask Rainbow007 if she is ready to stop for a break and where she might want to stop. This time I didn’t ask when I saw a Restaurant I pulled in and told her I made a decision that it was time for lunch.

While we were eating lunch three other riders came in escaping from the storm. We chatted with them a bit. The three were riding to Seattle together where one guy was going to leave his bike and fly back to Anchorage. Apparently he leaves the bike in Seattle at times so he has it available when he’s in Seattle. They were all from Anchorage, AK. The other two would continue on through Mexico where the second guy would peal off and head back while the third guy proceeded to the tip of South America. I didn’t get their names or pictures of them but I got pictures of their bikes.

Since the guys had already ridden through some of the area of AK we would be riding they gave me a map with a few things marked and a list of miles between towns and motels along the way. That was very nice of them to share their information.

As we headed out the weather was better but still pretty stormy.

Critter crossing

It was mile after mile of this.

But every so often it would tease us with looking like it might clear up.

Then it would remind us that it was going to dump on us, it’s just a matter of time. At least the road was dry.

Then we were reminded not to hitchhike on the Highway of Tears. A lot of missing and murdered women, very sad.

The rain let up a bit so we stopped to checked out Moricetown Canyon.

Sure wish it would have been a nicer day.

Since it’s not raining I think I will leave you at the river while I get some sleep. I understand there is some good fishing here, see if you can catch of fish.

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 02-06-2014 at 03:34 PM
Old 02-06-2014, 02:12 AM   #135
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,526
You are a very good friend to help another experience her dreams.
Good on you!

Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote