ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Oddometer: 1,352
CN AU/NZ version for Zumo

Should've posted here first I guess, but anyway. . .

Anyone running a Zumo 660, can you tell me what the latest map version is? Garin are telling me 2014.4, but others are running 2015.2 already! I'm losing what little hair I have left!
lowrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
ausguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrpm View Post
Should've posted here first I guess, but anyway. . .

Anyone running a Zumo 660, can you tell me what the latest map version is? Garin are telling me 2014.4, but others are running 2015.2 already! I'm losing what little hair I have left!
latest map version works on any garmin gps, the difference between 2014.4 and 2015.2 would be hardly worth the upgrade
ausguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Garmin told me "newer" units use different mapsets that are 2015.2 but never mind, my old shitter Zumo 660 is up to date with 2014.4.

I know there won't be much difference, but see, here's the thing: I paid for lifetime updates. Usually, when I pay for something, I kinda like to get it. So I really would like to know if I'm up to date or not.

I had an issue with the unit last year and hadn't got an update for 12 months. (Their updater was getting confused because I have 2 different Garmins.) They told me I was up to date despite the facts, but then through the Garmin Forum I found out a way to un-confuse their updater and got the update done. So naturally I am suspicious of their "Nah mate, your unit's up to date" line. Could be true, but in my experience what they tell you isn't usually. And unfortunately, the work-around I used last time won't do the trick this time.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 AM   #4
gavmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrpm View Post
Garmin told me "newer" units use different mapsets that are 2015.2 but never mind, my old shitter Zumo 660 is up to date with 2014.4.

I know there won't be much difference, but see, here's the thing: I paid for lifetime updates. Usually, when I pay for something, I kinda like to get it. So I really would like to know if I'm up to date or not.

I had an issue with the unit last year and hadn't got an update for 12 months. (Their updater was getting confused because I have 2 different Garmins.) They told me I was up to date despite the facts, but then through the Garmin Forum I found out a way to un-confuse their updater and got the update done. So naturally I am suspicious of their "Nah mate, your unit's up to date" line. Could be true, but in my experience what they tell you isn't usually. And unfortunately, the work-around I used last time won't do the trick this time.
+1 I also paid at the time I think $189 or thereabouts for Lifetime Maps, so I'd also like to get what I paid for, I also live in a newish 2010 subdivision it wasn't until 2014.40 that my road "existed" according to Garmin
Old 08-14-2014, 03:18 AM   #5
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,669
Do you have garmin express installed. This will tell you if you need firmware or map updates.

The other thing is there are two providers for the maps. Navteq and Sensis. Navteq is 2015.2 and Sensis is 2014.4 so you may well be up to date. Go into your system setting and choose "about" to see which mapset provider is used.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!

Chop Chop screwed with this post 08-14-2014 at 03:23 AM
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Yes, I have the latest version of garmin express and also two versions of mapupdater. Both say there are no updates available and would I like to reinstall my existing maps. Problem is, that's exactly what they did last time and they were wrong. They could be right this time, but there's no way for me to know because garmin lied to me last time and it was only through the clever guys at garmin forum that I managed to get back on track. I've had a lot of garmins for our fleet in the past, but I'm just about over them and will have to find another solution both for my off-road stuff and for our company cars. They're just too hard to deal with.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,669
I think the 660 uses Sensis data in which case you are upto date. If you use basecamp you can check the map tab and then manage map products. It should show the list of installed maps on the gps (if connected) and the computer. Click on notice and scroll down. It will either have Navteq or Sensis as the supplier.

Or go into the system setting of the 660 and check the about device feature.

And yes Garmin support is not worth the phone call.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #8
steveaikens
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Chop View Post
Do you have garmin express installed. This will tell you if you need firmware or map updates.
Well, you'd think that would be correct. However, I checked this morning using Garmin Express on both my GPSs and it told me I was up to date.

I downloaded the Map Updater again and ran it. I downloaded 2015.2 on this machine and the notebook I carry and am in the process of uploading to both units using MapInstall.

Here's the link to the Map Updater:
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe
steveaikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
gavmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
2015.20 for Sensis is now out, I am downloading it at the moment with Garmin Express.