ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #31
NickW909
Studly Adventurer
 
NickW909's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: U.K.
Oddometer: 509
Rear Shock

I'm replacing the spring on the shock on my 2012 690 Enduro R.

Current spring - 220mm - 80Nm

New spring - 204mm - 95Nm

The supplier is checking if this is correct.

Any ideas? Should the stronger spring be shorter?


Thanks,


Nick.
NickW909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
gen
Studly Adventurer
 
gen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Tokyo
Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post
Any ideas? Should the stronger spring be shorter?
Not if you want less suspension travel?

I think you want your new spring to be the same length as the OEM.

Also, if you are replacing the spring, you should seriously consider replacing the collar with a Rally Raid UK or Super Plush (US) aftermarket collar because the OEM collar has failed on a number of shocks with aftermarket springs.

see: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=26
__________________
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #33
NickW909
Studly Adventurer
 
NickW909's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: U.K.
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Not if you want less suspension travel?

I think you want your new spring to be the same length as the OEM.

Also, if you are replacing the spring, you should seriously consider replacing the collar with a Rally Raid UK or Super Plush (US) aftermarket collar because the OEM collar has failed on a number of shocks with aftermarket springs.
I'm replacing the collar also.

This is what concerns me.

Shorter spring = less travel.

Is this correct?


Nick.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
NickW909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #34
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post
I'm replacing the collar also.

This is what concerns me.

Shorter spring = less travel.

Is this correct?
Only if you are running into coil bind before the shock bottoms out internally. Otherwise the spring length has no effect on the stroke/travel of the shock.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #35
NickW909
Studly Adventurer
 
NickW909's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: U.K.
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post
I'm replacing the collar also.

This is what concerns me.

Shorter spring = less travel.

Is this correct?


Nick.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4






Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Only if you are running into coil bind before the shock bottoms out internally. Otherwise the spring length has no effect on the stroke/travel of the shock.

Ok, thanks. That makes sense.
The piston can move 52mm before it touches the stopper.
The spring looks like it would compress 100mm.
So no worries....

Thanks,

Nick.


Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
NickW909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #36
DirtSolace
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Santa Barbara
Oddometer: 90
adjustable rear shock control

"......Available in 250mm & 275mm wheel movements."

Mitch,

Two Questions?

1. Can you explain the criteria (function) for selecting between the two sizes which are offered?

2. Are the units you've received prototypes or are you selling units that have already (hopefully) had the "bugs" worked out?

thanx in advance--stan
DirtSolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #37
sdd04
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I'm getting mine put on this week and will test out the full 300mm Rally suspension this weekend.

I'll post up a performance report once I get some miles in.
Nice. Hey YP, when you redid your stock suspension, what size rear spring did you go with?
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #38
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Kalifornia
Oddometer: 7,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Nice. Hey YP, when you redid your stock suspension, what size rear spring did you go with?
On the OEM I had an 8.4 N/m

If I remember correctly the OEM rear is marginally OK. It's the front that brutally harsh.

The RR I'm getting w/ a 9.5 N/m
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #39
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I'm getting mine put on this week and will test out the full 300mm Rally suspension this weekend.

I'll post up a performance report once I get some miles in.
This will be great

I haven't been able to find much feedback
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #40
sdd04
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
On the OEM I had an 8.4 N/m

If I remember correctly the OEM rear is marginally OK. It's the front that brutally harsh.

The RR I'm getting w/ a 9.5 N/m
Thanks!
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #41
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Kalifornia
Oddometer: 7,217
So I finally got the full 300mm Rally Raid suspension installed and tested.



I ran a fast 300 mile offroad loop on Sunday and must say I'm impressed. The Tractive suspension was very plush, floated over the rough stuff, but still kept from bottoming out in the whoops and jumps. I hit a 3->4 ft water bar at 30 mph and caught some decent air and still did not bottom out. The suspension handled it all very well.

I still need to play w/ the clickers a bit to get it 100% dialed in, but it's pretty close.

The one thing I will say is that you really have to want it. My new seat height at its lowest spot is 38".

I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam and cannot touch the ground. I end up side saddling the bike to get a toe on the ground.


__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #42
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Kalifornia
Oddometer: 7,217
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #43
Uller
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, WA
Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Any way to modify existing shock?
Sorry, I just saw this. At first, I didn't think so. But....

I have read on here of a few who have worked with their suspension tuner to figure out how to get 300 mm out of the OEM Shock.

I am determined to get my suspension up to 300 mm and have contacted a very good suspension guy to see if he can figure this out for me.

It looks like the plan will be to go with 300 mm CC Forks and modify the OEM shock to 300 mm.

I'll keep this thread updated with the progress as it occurs.

Uller screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 04:01 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #44
Velociraptor
TrackBum
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 1,079
I am waiting for the RR kit for the older forks. I got one of the Ohlins shocks through KTM twins-this was before RR came out with their shocks, and am happy with it but hard to really evaluate without decent front suspension. Honestly I doubt I need a lot more travel because I do not get airborne much. A plusher front is the main thing.
__________________
2014 KTM EXC 500
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R
2009 KTM 690r Enduro SOLD
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #45
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

So I finally got the full 300mm Rally Raid suspension installed and tested.

I ran a fast 300 mile offroad loop on Sunday and must say I'm impressed. The Tractive suspension was very plush, floated over the rough stuff, but still kept from bottoming out in the whoops and jumps. I hit a 3->4 ft water bar at 30 mph and caught some decent air and still did not bottom out. The suspension handled it all very well.

I still need to play w/ the clickers a bit to get it 100% dialed in, but it's pretty close.

The one thing I will say is that you really have to want it. My new seat height at its lowest spot is 38".

I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam and cannot touch the ground. I end up side saddling the bike to get a toe on the ground.
The height thing was my concern ...

I'm a little taller, but not much ...

Do a fair bit of tight / steep stuff, and the bike is about as tall as I'm comfortable with ...

The height problem seems to be exacerbated by the wide seat - mine is a Seat Concepts adaptation - my 450 is actually taller than the 690, but far easier to get your feet down - I guess the 690's weight is the other factor, inasmuch as it feels OK to lean the 450 at a standstill whereas you don't want to lean the 690 with fuel +/- a bit of gear ...

All that aside, I'd like the 690 to feel like the 450 suspension-wise ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014