Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
TV News producer in Chgo. Cover politics, corruption and gov't. Here this is thriving business.

57. Married for an eon. Two sons both in college. Commuting here by moto is suicide. I try to ride dirt once a week on an old rail bed. Couple trips/year.

Knee replacement a year ago. Hope to transition from enduro to two-track.
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
injun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
What do I do ?

Used to wrench on bikes snow machines and cars, 2 bike shops -Idaho then Ca + 1 long love affair with my auto shop, worked on every thing that you can't imagine from GT 3500 Legesemo's to a ratty Honda civic oh and let's not forget boats in and out board, no fortune but a good time was had ,
even with 2 kid's, don't know why just blind luck.
The old guy.
Walks with the wind
It;s like standing in the rain with a strainer hoping for a bucket of water
injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
dirtyac
Ktooner

Oddometer: 30
I work for a company that makes filter paper. We make paper for many of the major filter manufacturers( Fram, HiFlo, Delphi, etc.) We are a supplier to the company that makes OE filters for KTM and BMW. I have also worked part time for a KTM dealer for the last 19 years.

Otherwise, I work too much....usually 56 hours a week, which obviously doesn't allow enough moto time. Ride to work is 20 miles and luckily, I can do 8.5 of it on dirt roads!!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,678
Dad. An old dad.

After 30 years self-employed in commercial photography, I closed the studio a couple years ago. I still work, but most of my time is volunteering at school, on a board of a local non-profit and taking care of the executive wife.

It's harder than you might imagine ; )

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 230
I'm a firefighter in the KC, KS metro area. As it's been said already, it's a great gig... 9-10 days a month, 24 hour shifts, a 4 day break every 5 days. Sounds rosey, huh. Not always, but mostly.

I also own & operate a small business. I use to work a lot in the "green" industry, but have recently headed up this new venture. Concrete repair and waterproofing... sounds sexy, eh?!

The 10 day/month job doesnt quite cut it with a wife, kids, house, and cool hobbies, but all are reminders to me of life at its fullest, and are worth it.

What a great thread. I was just talking with my wife the other day about these exact thoughts. I asked her... Are we making the most of life? Why am I doing what I am doing? I work too much? I just wanna retire (34yo, btw) and play. I havent quite earned that opportunity yet, but hope to some day. In the mean time, I aim to play hard! I love to ride, talk about riding, wrench, fish, etc. There is not nearly enough time for "enough" of each of those things.

My wife often reminds me that "who & where I am is largely a product of decisions I have made. If I dont like something look in the mirror'" I know... some circumstances are uncontrollable. But, largly if I have beef with something, it should be myself. I pray God's continued love & sufficient grace in my life. I hope for the lifelong chance to be a husband and a father more than anything. I hope that my wife and kids see the way I pursue my dreams and are challenged to pursue theirs.

Soon to be riding buddies:

Practicing!

Thanks for the chance to share. Sometimes life's a grind and less-than-perfect. Most times, it's just right and I wouldn't have it another way... hence my signature.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,202
57 and retired. Worked in the tire and tube manufacturing business for 32 years. I worked in four manufacturing facilities in three states and two countries, all with the same company. Went from street riding/touring to Dual Sport to Adventure touring. My wife of almost 38 years accompanied me on many of these trips till she died two years ago. Have recently sold all of my motos except for the 990ADV, have the house for sale and will be living on the road/Mexico. While forever changed, the adventure continues!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
51 years old. Been a machinist for 32 years now. Working in a factory running a Haas mill, after working for the World Champion Top Fuel Drag Racing team for 4 years, running a 5 axis milling machine. Worked on every cylinder head on Dixons', Schumachers', Worshams'and most of the other guys heads, too. Also worked for an Ama Tuner of the Year for a couple years, worked in a shop building McClaren M6B Can-Am cars, worked in a NASCAR support shop, and did a bunch of tractor work too. Parts is Parts. The factory gig (building pumps for the natural gas industry), pays about twice as much as the race team did. I work 50-65 hours a week (throttling back right now, closer to 50, but supposed to ramp back up in August), I ride to work every day, and I pretty much enjoy the work I do. I used to ride dirt bikes every weekend, then all my buddies stopped riding them, so I sold mine also. But I'm looking at another one here soon, I'd like to get back into it, it makes me feel better after getting beat up a couple days in a row out in the boonies.

It's a good gig, and although I did think about doing other shit over the years, I'm glad I stuck with it, it takes about 15 minutes to find a job if I need to. But I'm not going anywhere now, they're going to have to fire my ass if they want me out of there.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
I'm a fireman in LA and work 10 days a month, so time for riding is not a problem. I even moved to an area where riding is within 5 minutes. If I'm not riding, it's because I'm being a lazy ass, not because there's not enough time.

I bought an adv bike a week ago because I was riding my exc further and further away. It was time for a looooooong distance dirtbike.

Btw, thanks soldiers for your service, its appreciated.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #24
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Thanks to all the Military and Firefighters here on the board. We all live safer for your efforts.

I am 39 years old and have been a Crane Operator for the last 20 years. Absolutely love my job and not many can say the same. Every day is different and I learn something new everyday.

Right now I work two weeks on with a week off so as of today I start my week off and plan on a three day adventure ride followed up by four days of dirt biking with my girlfriend. Life is truly good!

Here is the view from the top window in my present office :)
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #25
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,764

I'm the dashing fellow front right, Padre is blue shirt middle, and we're on the train coming down from Snaefell.

29 and currently a law student, after being a Masters of Accountancy student, after being a Bachelors of Accountancy student, after being a Bachelors of Biology student.

I swear I'm going to get a job at some point.

My family owns a publishing company (any aviators out there, it's Trade-A-Plane) so I'll be heading back there next year after graduation to take over. KatoomWife is thinking about healthcare law (she's in law school too). Next year my commute will probably be about 150 miles a day round trip. Time to buy an RT!

I get to take about one good moto related trip a year. KatoomWife is awesome. We got married and one month later she bought me a new Shoei DS helmet and sent me to Moab with my dad. The next year for my birthday and Valentine's day she sent me to the Isle of Man TT with dad. This year it's a month going to and from Alaska; she was supposed to fly up and meet us but instead is studying comparative international law focusing on wine (i.e., she gets school credit to drink). We both realized after my nephew was born that if you're wanting to travel you better do it while you can. I knew that if we have kids after graduation that Alaska would be put on hold for many, many years and she agreed.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 251
47, sgt in police. I was in the army before the police. I didn't own a car for nearly 10 years and I was riding a bike to work, changing helmets and riding in work all day. Then I got promoted and have sat on my fat backside ever since :)

I traded my 2006 vfr for a new kTm 1190 this year and am really enjoying the new bike.

I work 6 days on 4 off, 10 hour shifts, so have time for short breaks. I retire in 6 years and am thinking about moving to the south of France. The weather here is shite and I'm sick of rain.. living on continental Europe will open up some great roads and a different style of life.

Great thread btw, really interesting to see what others do for a living.

shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
bar owner

I'm 46 i own a bar/restaurant. i work way too much and ride very little.
have 6 bikes and ride once a month, if lucky.
got 4 kids, yes all mine and all with the same woman, she hates motorcycles. got 2 dogs ( boxers, lazy bastards but i love them ) and a cat, live in an old house that is a true ' money pit "
life is great , i need a boat so i can park it at the lake and never use it.

always had motorcycles since 17 years old. ( over 30 bikes )

wish i had more time to ride.

north rider
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
I am 40+ years old, I ride most weekends try to do a trip once a month. big trips like five or six days two a year if I can. the body is not what it once was.
For the last ten years, I have been a Utility Engineer fancy for Handy man. I work in the hi-tech industry (Sun Micro sys, Adobe, NVIDIA, Data centers) moving towards HVAC. I'm going to school for HVAC and working 40-70 hours a week. I was a painter for ten years but could not paint the wall, the door, the door frame, the wall, the 20 doors, the 20 door frames any more! I work on bikes for extra cash some times. No kids no wife but a super sweet girl friend. I have been riding for 21 years I started on a xt550, vfr700, GSXR1100 1986, R1 1998, FZ1, cr500's in 2002 I got a XR650r and started going on long dual sport rides. last year I asked my girl if she would like to see Death valley from the back of my xr650r she said yes and liked it. So I ran out and got the 990 for two up dirt rides. Bert
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #29
Kikemon
Poseur

Oddometer: 229
Veterinarian at a zoo. Work way too many hours to do any serious riding lately. Commute on two wheels exclusively: either by bike (950 Adv) or bicycle. That's the extent of my riding right now.
Kikemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Fly for a private flight department. Schedule is "on demand" but we usually know what is is going to be a couple weeks in advance. Sometimes I'm gone for 2 weeks. Sometimes I go a month without working. On paper, I should have plenty of time to ride, but I too live in the classic definition of a money pit. 6 week old son, wonderful wife, 2 dogs, 6 bikes. It can take me almost a week to get around to mowing the grass. My riding time has been severely curtailed over the last year, but my wife is super cool and still insists that I get a weekend backpacking trip or a 3 day 1000 mile ride in a couple times a year.

Unfortunately a lot of my riding these days does consist of commuting to work or running errands, but I can always take the long way!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote