Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
propilot10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post

I'm the dashing fellow front right, Padre is blue shirt middle, and we're on the train coming down from Snaefell.

29 and currently a law student, after being a Masters of Accountancy student, after being a Bachelors of Accountancy student, after being a Bachelors of Biology student.

I swear I'm going to get a job at some point.

My family owns a publishing company (any aviators out there, it's Trade-A-Plane) so I'll be heading back there next year after graduation to take over. KatoomWife is thinking about healthcare law (she's in law school too). Next year my commute will probably be about 150 miles a day round trip. Time to buy an RT!

I get to take about one good moto related trip a year. KatoomWife is awesome. We got married and one month later she bought me a new Shoei DS helmet and sent me to Moab with my dad. The next year for my birthday and Valentine's day she sent me to the Isle of Man TT with dad. This year it's a month going to and from Alaska; she was supposed to fly up and meet us but instead is studying comparative international law focusing on wine (i.e., she gets school credit to drink). We both realized after my nephew was born that if you're wanting to travel you better do it while you can. I knew that if we have kids after graduation that Alaska would be put on hold for many, many years and she agreed.
Yes I totally know about "Trade A Plane" I spent as many hours drooling over the planes I hope to have someday as I did flipping through my dads playboy stash when I was a kid. Yes I am a pilot. I fly for a major airline which has me from home 3-4 days a week. Commuting to work on my adv is not possible with all my bags so I only get to ride on my days off. Which compared to many is more but when you balance home life I seldom get to do more than half day rides. Home life consisting of the love of my life which came with two kids from a prior whom I love like they were my own and a precocious cat affectionately named mo. We hope to get a lab pup soon to balance the mix his name already decided will be curly. Sticking to the stooge theme which is apropos to our clan of finger jabbing pie throwing types. Luckily enough my gal loves to ride with me and every so often she graces the back of Lilly (the name of my 990, don't ask) with her long legs wrapped around me and we head out to see the sights together. We live at the base of the Sierra Nevada's so we don't have to go far to get away from it all. However no matter how much I ride its never enough.

On a side note we just got back from Costa Rica which has turned up the heat on my desire to do a trip from home through South America. Freaking beautiful country and wonderfully friendly people. Can not wait! What I want to know is who's coming with me? Adventure is a meal best shared.
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #32
txbear55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Healthcare...aka "TOOF"...bet you can figure it out! Currently on a 2011 990 Dakar and trying to figure out how I can ever do my "bucket list" Prudhoe bay trip from TX. Hate to wait until retirement at 65...
txbear55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #33
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I guessed it: you fix people's toofesses.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #34
outbacktaz
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 490
I fix search and rescue helicopters in the Royal Canadian Air Force. I love my job!! I used to fix Greyhounds of death, aka F18s, but quickly got bored!!

Hopefully, I'll get transferred to an embarked squadron soon!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #35
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,225
Swdid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennessyktm View Post
For me, I'm a Soldier. I'll get a prolonged ADV in a couple times a year tops...thats not enough for this guy.
First, I thank our honorable safety and servicemen and women, for preserving our safety and freedom for our families and our lives... and extending our abilities to adventure ride around the free world. HELL YA!!!

My grandfather was a poor coal miner from Georgia and Alabama. So the deck was stacked pretty high against my father. He could have turned to running moonshine like many of his kin. It could have been even worse for me too. I should have been destined for failure in the poor suburbs of Alabama.

As a youngster my father looked up at an airplane and dared to dream... even beyond all of his socioeconomic limitations.

Instead he willed his way into the airline industry through the Airforce programs, eventually retiring at the end of a stellar career... honored with the prestigeous FAA/DOT "Charles Taylor Master Mechanics Award" recognizing 50 years of excellence in airline passenger safety. He owned a private plane his entire adult life and flew regularly until he deemed himself too old to safely pilot. He lived out his dreams and quietly passed away last year in the fall.

Fortunately I was born and raised in Southern California, the land of opportunity in a middle class neighborhood. I was taught a strong work ethic by both of my parents, and always had three jobs ( mostly simultaneously) 1 job being what my dad deemed significant- airline related, 2nd job being what I wanted to do- extreme sports related, 3rd job- what I wanted to grow up doing- broadcast media related. And I put myself through college with little help from my parents on my decision.

I'm a television editor using a computer software program called Avid. I've been a broadcast editor for two decades now. I've edited in nearly all forms of film and television, including commercials, music videos and music performance. And I can say I was a pioneer of a gritty, live documentary style of story telling that became extremely popular in Europe (which Hollywood has now completely embraced as "Non Scripted" or "Reality"). Myself, my contemporaries, and our bodies of work are now recognized and represented by the Motion Picture and Television Editor's Guild local 700 Union.

I'm a young 53 year old. I've been married only once, 5 years now to a real gem. We are hoping to start a family this year. She works in the tv industry and has a resume beyond my own at a much younger age.

My work schedule is INTENSE and varies. But I generally have a week or two off every 3 months between series or projects. If I'm not too worn out I try to squeeze in a 2-3 day ride to keep up with my adventure addiction. We have some amazing riding terrain once you get outside of the city. Areas like Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Big Bear, Anza Borrego, Mojave Desert... and of course Baja.

I grew up riding enduro bikes for adventuring fun, but never anything organized or competition. I lived in Europe, mainly France in the early 80's... and was instantly enamored with Rally bikes and the Dakar. I still own a Transalp I ride in Oregon where it lives with a twin... in my best friends garage.

I do ride my '04 950S into my post production offices quite regularly and have found some pretty amazing routes to and from, although nothing dirt. However, Mulholland Drive isn't such a bad stretch of tarmac to travel.

I wouldn't consider myself rich by today's standards, although I do live a very comfortable life. And I am a continuation of my father's "Rags to Riches" story. If there's one thing I can pass on from my father, it's to "Believe In Your Dreams, Fly High and Aim Higher".

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 08:08 AM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #36
iluha_adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Greetings!

Good day!
I'm noob here and this is my first message, but I've been reading through the forum long-long time. And know many of you. Great forum, great people, lots of info! Thanks to you I dared to have such "difficult" bike for my country, where we have no spare parts in stock at all, no services I can trust, no dynos.

I'm 29. Living in the middle of Russia (Izhevsk - the city where AK-47 was invented and motorcycles "Izh" were produced). Have a wife and 5 monthes-old daughter.
I'm an engineer in directional drilling service. Walking schedule is 4 weeks/4 weeks and I love it! I have a whole month off that I can spend with my family and bike. When at work, I can appear in every part of the country. Right now it is the north part of Irkutsk Krai (Terrytory), 3500 miles away from my home. Salary is considered to be rather high for Russia, but in US or Canada making the same job you would get at least 5 times more. But still, it's OK for me!
Though I have to spent long time away from home, today it's not oppresses - internet, skype, etc., make distances shorter. But when at home - freedom!
I havn't made long trips yet but... dreams... Hope someday I'll post here a good report.
Several monthes ago I became an happy owner of the fastest (orange ) KTM Adv 950 '06 (US origin) for your information it costs about $10.000-11.000 in Russia and mine is the only one of the kind in my city (600 000 population - not so big). Wife is riding Yamaha FZ6 SA2 '08.
As far as I have a little baby, and absent for a month, I'm trying to spend more time with wife and daughter, that's why I'll not have long trips this summer, but trying to ride everyday, most part along the city, but you know, adventure bike with long suspension travel is the best choise for our "pavement"!

iluha_adv screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 02:23 PM
iluha_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #37
556baller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I work in tactical product development for a small company in Oceanside, CA. I design equipment, weapons, products for military/LEO and civilians. I enjoy what I do...

556baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #38
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
I fly rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #39
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
My job is even less glamorous...
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #40
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
LOL - Top Gun??? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #41
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
I work for a large global consulting firm and lead their Smart Energy Services deployment practice - I am the guy who is responsible for helping your electrical / gas / water utility spend your money on smart meters and smart grid :)

Most of my work has been in various parts of Europe though I am based in Toronto, Canada but this year, I shifted my focus to more work in the US. I get a ton of freedom in my job despite the travel so I've used that travel to my advantage and have done some fly and rent rides in some very cool places in Europe, California and Norway/Sweden.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #42
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
44, I am a husband and father of 2 daughters, aged 24 & 23.

I manage an IS development team for a mid-sized North American Oil and Gas company. They give me about 7 weeks of vacation a year, and I spend about 4 of those weeks racing/riding my dirt bike and doing adventure rides with my wife. I no longer enjoy what I do, and have also recently ventured into high end residential real estate in hopes to quite my job within the next 5-7 years and do what ever the heck I wish.

My bikes: 2007 990A, 2012 Husaberg TE250
Wife's bikes: 2010 BMW F650GS, 2007 KTM 200 XC

2007 KTM 300 XCW

Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #43
Paul_M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
32, working in IT ( Networks/Security ).
Currently no big trips are really planned because of.. ... 2 kids ( 1 and 4yr ) and we are rebuilding our house ( also building a Bed&Breakfast in Antwerp, Belgium, moto-friendly :) )

Hopefully, when all things quiet down, we can go on longer trips on the bike.

Cheers, and anyone needs a place during a europe-trip: www.sunshinepeople.be ;-)
Paul_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #44
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 278
what I do

A big THANK YOU to all our military , police, and fireman who put their life on the line so we don't have to.

I'm 57, a self-annoyed tool and die, plastic injection mold maker and molder since 1986. One man shop.
Married 13 years before the big "D", have a great 19 yo son whom I thankfully got custody of . Going on our first father son m/c adv trip this Monday .
here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843668
Been riding since I was a kid, then stopped for 20+ years, then got my sanity back and enjoy the "little things in life" like taking the long way home on my m/c, my son, letting my cat fall asleep in my lap just cause it makes her feel good even though I have more important things I should do.
Being self-employed I wish I could say "I'm living the life" and doing what I want , but that's an urban legend I think, cause customers who I rely on to get the bills paid kind of regulate things by their needs and time frames. In the end, it's all good as my friend Rob F. would say, no worries.
Got to go on a 4 week m/c trip to Grand Canyon, Torroweep overlook, Bryce Canyon, Zion Nat. Park, Moab and then up to Yellowstone Nat. Park. Other then that I try to do several 3-4 day trips a year to rallies or on my own just to get out of the "rat race" mind frame.
rj
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred

rjmorel screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 09:19 AM
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #45
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
4 years active duty US Navy as aircraft technician.
Now work on large megayachts and drive race cars.
08 950SE for sale in SoCal
09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote