ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #46
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Dream jobs and dirt bikes

I read this string with great interest. It is always fascinating to hear about other motorcycle people, their lives, careers, and two wheel passions. Thanks for your collective time invested in communicating.

My wife and I moved to Cambodia in 1994 with our two little kids. We have been involved in NGO (non government organisation) work of various kinds during this time, medical and developmental for the most part. We are Christ followers, and are grateful for the life our family lives here.

From the time we arrived in country, motorcycles, especially dirt bikes were the method of choice for transportation around the country. For many years I averaged 2500 klm. a month on my bikes. I used an 98' XR400 for 240,000 klm before it wore out. I replaced that with a 04' WR450f which carried me 234,000 klm when I retired it. My current two bikes are a 05' KTM 450MXC that I have clocked 54,000 klm on and my 09' KTM 990R, on the road here for 6 months now.

My work travel each month entails a couple of 3-4 day trips of around 1000 klm of combined highway, gravel, double and single track jungle bouncing. Then, a couple of times a year a 7-10 day trip of 3,000+ klm.

I live a privileged life serving God in Asia, including lots of saddle time on my bikes. I get to ride with lots of very cool people in dry season and monsoon mud season. It's all good. I am now 57 years young and still have a lot of energy and passion to love people as Jesus asks and empowers. I love getting here and there and home on top of my KTMs.

Fam 010

PRINT1

bageera01

Rockets

DSC04959

asking4directions

DSC_4109

DSC_4664

DSC03386

DSC04959

DSCF5042

enterthemudzone

IMG_0363

IMG_0601

IMG_2943

IMG_0578
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #47
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
I run a quarrying and concrete business.

I used to regard it as a job that got me to see the seasons changing and breathe fresh air...

but just like my motorcycling it seems to involve lots of time sitting on my butt with a laptop in front of me......
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #48
556baller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMbageera View Post
I read this string with great interest. It is always fascinating to hear about other motorcycle people, their lives, careers, and two wheel passions. Thanks for your collective time invested in communicating.

My wife and I moved to Cambodia in 1994 with our two little kids. We have been involved in NGO (non government organisation) work of various kinds during this time, medical and developmental for the most part. We are Christ followers, and are grateful for the life our family lives here.

From the time we arrived in country, motorcycles, especially dirt bikes were the method of choice for transportation around the country. For many years I averaged 2500 klm. a month on my bikes. I used an 98' XR400 for 240,000 klm before it wore out. I replaced that with a 04' WR450f which carried me 234,000 klm when I retired it. My current two bikes are a 05' KTM 450MXC that I have clocked 54,000 klm on and my 09' KTM 990R, on the road here for 6 months now.

My work travel each month entails a couple of 3-4 day trips of around 1000 klm of combined highway, gravel, double and single track jungle bouncing. Then, a couple of times a year a 7-10 day trip of 3,000+ klm.

I live a privileged life serving God in Asia, including lots of saddle time on my bikes. I get to ride with lots of very cool people in dry season and monsoon mud season. It's all good. I am now 57 years young and still have a lot of energy and passion to love people as Jesus asks and empowers. I love getting here and there and home on top of my KTMs.

Fam 010

PRINT1

bageera01

Rockets

DSC04959

asking4directions

DSC_4109

DSC_4664

DSC03386

DSC04959

DSCF5042

enterthemudzone

IMG_0363

IMG_0601

IMG_2943

IMG_0578

You have to love the RPG picture...
556baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #49
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
I love your story, and pictures KTMbageera!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #50
River
Gee

Oddometer: 188
47...oil/gas elec/inst technician...last ten years have been working week on week off, fly in...usually take 3-4 shifts off a year, which gives me 3-4, 3 week vacations...ride as much as mother nature allows in the great white north
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #51
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluha_adv View Post

I'm 29. Living in the middle of Russia (Izhevsk - the city where AK-47 was invented and motorcycles "Izh" were produced). Have a wife and 5 monthes-old daughter.
I'm an engineer in directional drilling service.
One of my goals in life is to visit Russia. Not sure why wince there are so many other countries as well (I'm Italian and usually spend 4-6 weeks per year there), but something about your country. Lots of history, especially between the US and Russia(USSR)

I assume dirrectional drilling for oil & natural gas? It's ( or it was before our Government clamped down on regulations ) big out here in Colorado.

ETA:

I like your bike.

motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #52
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
I run a quarrying and concrete business.

I used to regard it as a job that got me to see the seasons changing and breathe fresh air...

but just like my motorcycling it seems to involve lots of time sitting on my butt with a laptop in front of me......
I'm 49. An independent Audio/Video Contractor creating Music in people's homes.
....When I'm not riding and being selfish.
But today, my job involves too much computer and not enough music.
It's less fun than it used to be. Life should be more fun.

So,...I decided to make less money and take more time off. Fuck it.
Call it mid-life crisis, call it lazy and selfish. Call it whatever you want.
I MUST RIDE the dirt backcountry of Oregon. AS much of Oregon as I possibly can.
Then I'll move on to Washington and Idaho.
I refuse to die with that regret of not seeing what's right around me.

So many people have been to Mexico, to Hawaii, to some exotic place for a two-week vacation in a hotel. In a city . But they've never seen the waterfalls, canyons, or other beautiful sights less than 100 miles from their home that they could see for cheap on their Adventure bike.
Waaas uuup wit dat?
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #53
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 623
53, 1 wife, 1 kid (20), 2 cats, 2 bikes.
Worked 20yrs as a commercial & industrial HVAC Mechanic, now I'm in an office saving my back, knees, shoulders & hips from the ravages of manual labor. Used to amateur road race (AFM). Been a street rider for 40yrs, ADV rider for 8mos: Dammit! I started late!
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #54
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
+ 100 Apple Jam

I've learned more about my local surroundings from planning and riding my bike on a few close-to-home adventures then my many years as a passer-by cager!

Most people unfortunate enough not to have visited Oregon before... are simply unaware of it's astounding beauty. Truly god's country with many world class natural features. With that as your backyard and the ambitious big bike adventurer you are... you could spend a lifetime within your borders and forever be well entertained... From the Owyhee Valley to the Illinois River. Few other places in the world have such extremely diverse terrain... Perhaps Chile or Peru? But you can save yourself airfare... you're already in a riders paradise.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #55
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Few other places in the world have such extremely diverse terrain... Perhaps Chile or Peru? But you can save yourself airfare... you're already in a riders paradise.
You cannot believe how fortunate I feel for it. Thank Dog, thank the Force, thank everything!!
I started life in LA until I was 9 years old, when Dad got us the hell outta there.
I can't imagine how different I would be today.

I was the kid, when the other kids wanted to go ride bicycles in the crowded malls, who wanted to go build forts in a vacant lot.
Still do ....but my vacant lots are a little bigger now, and I carry my "fort" on my bike with me
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #56
Strokizator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
60 years old and retired. I made a small fortune in the contracting business. (unfortunately, I started out with a large one).

I have the time to take adventure trips now but since everybody else is still working and vacations are tough to schedule, I find myself riding alone. This limits the risks I can take as my previous injuries make it difficult to pick up a bike without some help. Still, there are plenty of adventures to be had and I can always read about you guys here (truth be told I was never that good anyway).
Old 06-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #57
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Well I work on line selling stuff for other people now having run and sold my business. So right now I sell shoes... Used to run an online motorbike apparel shop which was lots of fun, been on bikes since a kid and ridden hundreds of different bikes all over from the US, Africa, Europe. So 39 now beautiful 12 week old daughter (too busy having fun before!) work takes me all over setting up sites in different countries so still get to see lots, my wife's amazing, last year 2 weeks in the Spanish pyranees off roading then in November off to morroco for 10 days, i get to ride about one weekend a month, not complaining as had plenty of time before baby came along. I'm a lucky guy!

So work hard and play harder!

950superenduro.com For those who own the best bike!
wilso122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #58
SamRus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluha_adv View Post
Good day!
I'm 29. Living in the middle of Russia (Izhevsk - the city where AK-47 was invented and motorcycles "Izh" were produced). Have a wife and 5 monthes-old daughter.
Iluha, welcome to ADV!
I'm originally from Russia as well (Samara)!

I'm 25, work for a system of hospitals here in Illinois, USA. I lead PMO (Project Management Office), and get to lead and deal with many different IT projects! Right now I'm working on HIE (Health Information Exchange), which is fun!

I'm not a hardcore ADV rider by any means. My riding consists of daily commute to work year-round (about 30 miles per day), and few day-rides on weekends.
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #59
bikefever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
29, single, ROI, working for electrical retailer (selling tvs, washers and stuff to people) and hate my job because cant be completely honest and have to smuggle lies sometimes to good people :( soon quitting and going on a trip across Europe (over 25 countries) and hoping to find new job then but not in retail anymore. If you are a salesman and want to make bucks have to leave your consience at home- its not for me. Decided to do my travelling now while young, healthy and single. My 29-year old, old school friend died last year :(( didnt have chance to live his life- this has changed mine and made more aware.
Ps. Great stories lads!
Ps.2 Soldiers and firemen- good job guys, everyone is proud of you!
bikefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #60
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,390
Airline Pilot

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote