ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #61
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
I carve shapes out of metal to a high degree of tolerance and surface finish.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #62
mountain36
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post
I retire in 6 years and am thinking about moving to the south of France. The weather here is shite and I'm sick of rain.. living on continental Europe will open up some great roads and a different style of life
Please be aware that, by law, the bikes are limited to 100hp in France!
mountain36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #63
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Work far too hard for way too little.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #64
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain36 View Post
Please be aware that, by law, the bikes are limited to 100hp in France!
I will have to import mine so

shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #65
Wildbillsgarage
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Sea to Sky fire road

http://youtu.be/77geNbuIbIw
Hope this is even lightly entertaining enough to keep your thoughts in the right "dirty" mindset.
Wildbillsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #66
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
I wasn't going to respond at first but then I read all the replies from mostly young guys and just a couple of old farts like myself, so I thought, as a 70 year old, that I should add my brief bio to help compensate.
Started riding in 1963, started road racing with AFM probably 1965. Worked in Honda shops for several years during that time.
Now I have a nutritionally based wellness practice. Been doing that for 15 years. Treating the root causes of disease & dysfunction instead of treating symptoms. Work mostly, but not exclusively with older folks interested in healthy aging.

We also have a bed & breakfast at our house on the Deschutes River just outside Bend.
Bought a 990 last September. Should of bought a 950/990 years ago.

Richard

'07 990A
'12 Super Tenere
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #67
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 520
Retired at 55 years (3yr's ago) after 35 of them cutting concrete in So Cal. 2ed of 3 generation's motorcycle Riders, Racers,& enthusiast
slidewayes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #68
tomdubz
getting there

Oddometer: 492
32 Teacher. Last day of school! All packed up and ready to wander for 2 months. Who knows where?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #69
ADV-Rob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I'm 36. I spent 10 years in the Marine Corps Infantry and got out after my 3rd deployment to Iraq. For the past 9 years I've been working as a firefighter/paramedic in the Tacoma area. The schedule is good, the pay and benefits are great, but the clientele we see in my area make things very difficult.

My adventures used to be long and in depth, and have toned down since getting married 3 1/2 years ago. I commute to work (51 miles rt) about 10 months out of the year and try to get a few shorts rides in here and there. If I'm lucky I can break away with some friends for 2 - 4 day excursions thru Washington and Oregon usually once in the early summer and once early fall.

We have 18 month old twin girls and a 3rd (oops) on the way. House projects, finishing the basement to add bedrooms, wife finishing graduate school, me finishing undergrad, and a German Shorthair named Dexter, our lives are pretty full.

We're trying to stay active outside of the daily grind but with little ones that aren't very mobile it's difficult. I know things will be different soon, so it's just a matter of hanging in there and picking it back up when we can.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #70
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
ADV Rob, great pic of precious cargo! When you feel like you would rather be riding, it helps to remember that little ones grow up incredibly fast and our time with them as fathers is fleeting. Three weeks ago my wife and I became official "empty nesters" and it happened way too fast. Enjoy every age and stage. Ride when you can, they will soon be big enough to want their own.

From here:
Fam 010

To here:
PRINT1

To here:
DSC04959

To here in the blink of your eye:
20120102-342-3
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #71
iluha_adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
...I assume dirrectional drilling for oil & natural gas?...
Yepp... Oil and gas directional wells. There are a lot of foreign people working with us here in the center of nowhere: Colombian's, Venezuelan, German, Canadian, USA....And you right I doubt they would ever come here for $3k-$4k per month! ;) Multiply it... 5-10 times I think.
Though thanks to international influence we acquire new working culture: higher safety standarts, equipment, housing conditions and that's can't be bad.

If you want to visit Russia - welcome! But learn at least our ABC and some words, because nor road singns, nor directions, nor street/city names have latin transliteration (except big cities - Moscow, St.Pertsbug, Kazan, Ekaterinberg, Tyumen) and only few people speak english quite well. But in every city you can find local bike club or a single rider who will always help you for sure. If you need I'll always help you to find bikers in different places via local forums.
And no KTM spares in stock!
iluha_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #72
elduche211
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Live to work...NO! work to live!!

I am a 42 yoa retired U.S.Marine and work now as a Federal Agent LEO; have a great wife and a beautiful 6 year old daughter that requires most of my attention outside my 50+ hours workweeks; so my 990 ADV gets neglected quite often; I’ll be real lucky to squeeze a weekend ride, however, just a few weeks ago I negotiated with the wife an week just for myself…!!! (out of my 6 weeks paid vacation annually! It’s better that nothing I guess!)
Don’t quite think I’ll make it to Argentina this time……, but I’ll get the bug out of my sysytem for a few months….San Diego to Vancover BC will be… Argentina and a RTW will have to wait 8 years 9 months and 23 days….for full retirement
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #73
MitchNJ
Lets Ride!

Oddometer: 66
I've been very fortunate to always have good paying jobs in technology. I have spent the past 20 or so years in mainstream corporate. However recently I've realized what JOB stands for -- Journey Of (the) Broke! Luckly I've found a side business that has the capacity to reward and buy back time! Our team is seeking a few success-minded individuals. It's a rapidly growing and recession proof industry. Email me for details! All the best of success!

Mitch
MitchNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #74
FWUT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I export agriculture implements and heavy construction equipment to various parts of the globe. Should anyone be looking to send a bike back to Oz, I send at a minimum 1 container a month to Brisbane and or Melbourne and more often than not there is room for a bike.
FWUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #75
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 371
53. riding since 1973. dentist. dad to 2 grown women--29 and 31. have a special lady friend of 15+ years. work a very hard half time. oxymoron? ride as much as possible. everything i own is for sale. want to retire. won't be able to afford rent or a mortgage. want to live in an rv. winter in tucson. summer in the seattle area. I've figured out that life is too short and i feel stuck with my way too fucking big house and my practice. and all my other crappy possessions. except my bikes. love them! just want to travel, read, ride, be with family. wish i would have figured this out when i was 39!
'09 KTM 950 SE Erzberg
'15 KTM 1290 SA ordered.
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote