User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #91
Chief Gunner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Retired but Still Working for the Big Canoe Club

I am a Retired Gunners Mate Chief Petty Officer; Hence "Chief Gunner".
I spent 20 years mastering my craft while I was in the Navy and I got certified as a MK41 VLS Test Director prior to retiring. I still love working on the big gray ladies alongside Our Nation's finest Men and Women.

Being a Vertical Launching System Tech Rep is just about as Awesome as it gets

Chief Gunner screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 05:40 PM
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #92
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,291
I started out in engineering and am now in the psychological field. I have my own consultancy that caters to corporates. I facilitate and coach corporate peeps. I love what I do. I basically sell time.

45, married, no kids, two cats.

Started with an xt500 as a student, a few others bikes and have had the beast for nearly 10 years.

The wife tolerates my biking and can’t see the fun side of going on trips just to get dirty, crash a bit, eat tinned food and shit in the bush.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #93
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Retired carpenter, just turned 65. I started riding when I was 13. I lived in Australia for just on 30 years, and I have been back to Finland for 13 years now.
It's interesting to see some old farts here, besides myself. it's also interesting to read about the different experiences people have had all around the world.
I wonder if anyone has ever tryed to organize a get together of the OC members? Might be a big ask to set it up. Then again, they get all of them Hardley riders together in where ever it is now, just a thought.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #94
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
50 Year old IT scum… Airforce IT, then Acedemia IT, then Corporate IT….

The 950 is my mid life excuse to not act my age…

Too much work not enough play,, but working on that..

Dave
Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #95
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
55 Eye Doctor. Started riding bikes when I was 12. Grew up in Maryland(USA). Now live in Tennessee. Mostly dirt/trail/ woods riding. I've done the Blackwater 100, numerous Dave Coombs races, including the original 100 milers, GNCCs, ISDE Qualifiers, Mid South harescramble series; Colorado 500s, Colorado Gold Rush rides.
Fortunate enough to have ridden a couple times with Malcolm Smith. Beyond a nice guy and his family is so down-to-earth. Name-dropping I know, but...
When I see all the US has to offer I might consider riding abroad but as most people that have never been to the US say once they get here: "I had no idea it was this big"...lots to see before I consider anywhere else.
Bikes I've had:
Suzuki TS250, PE 175(2), DR-Z400
Honda: XR 400, XR600
Kawasaki: KDX200, KX250
KTM: 520 (current dirt bike)

990 is my first "street" bike.

ADVill screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 02:19 PM
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #96
stuj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I'm a heavy transport and lifting company director with 2 young boys and an understanding wife who puts up with my long hours at work and still let's me go ride my bikes.
Working for the family business means stress and hassle but it is still so rewarding after nearly 20 years that I could not consider quitting. The fact that I co-ordinate and and participate in moving extreme oversize loads that others say can't be done still keeps me lit!
The bike is my escape, I have ridden trials since I was an early teen, enduros in my early 30's and now have the 990 adv for touring and getting away from my cell phone! I still ride trials competitively here in Northern England, and my oldest son who is 3 yrs old seems to have the bike bug too as he loves watching trials and has a 12" Oset.
Hopefully the future will bring more success in business and trials with the added value of family time and of course more hours in the saddle touring Europe.
stuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #97
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
Ive been an Air traffic controller, lost my job due to a labor strike. After realizing we screwed ourselves, I then became a prototype toolmaker, 3d modeling etc.
I started Cyclops in 02 with the idea of a helmet mounted light for Off road riding. I was thinking "cool I can work with my passion and get more riding in" Well, let me tell you, if you turn what you love into work it can be a challenge, but would I go back? Heck NO!!!
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #98
Brendan33c
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
30 years old. Insurance broker from Christchurch New Zealand. Have an amazing wife and 2 year old boy. Have been riding bikes since I was a kid, pretty much all the men in my family have them so it was almost expected that I too would have a bike of my own. Started out riding dirt bikes, my favourite was my xr650r. Ended up riding sports bikes for a few years as that's what my riding mates were doing. 5 months ago me and my wife lost a beautiful set of identical twin girls which made me rethink almost everything that I do. I guess it was partly the motivation to finally get my dream bike, my 990 adv. It's been great therapy to be able to get away on this beast of a machine.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #99
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I'm a Belgian police officer who just turned 24 :).
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #100
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Oddometer: 148
I'm a KTM dealer.

LowSpeedHighDrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #101
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,023
The short answer is I'm an engineer. I wear out my motorcycles riding to and from work.

The longer answer would take, well longer.

My adventures have never been nor will they ever be epic in terms of crossing semi-charted wildernesses, or braving unspeakable dangers. My adventures are mostly surviving my 30 mile commute across the county, between texting SUV pilots. And every once in a great while I get to wander away from home by motorcycle and sometimes that doesn't envolve work. Meaning my schedule is a bit more open and I can take a more general direction aim at the wall the target hangs on rather than the more usual pin point sniper shot.

Those are the bits I work for. Surviving 40+ years of commuting in several states in all sorts of weather, and even kick starting real bikes that shifted on the right. Aging and old injuries tend to nudge a guy toward a certain set. I thought this last time of stepping back on a superbike. You know? One last fling. One quick number around the dance floor told me those days were behind me.
Ouch!
So, back to the plan. And even that wasn't a slam dunk. I managed to stumble into something slightly different than I would have. And I'm happy with the perceived misstep.
It is an Adventure, and so is life. When we start keeping to the known, the easy, the level, graded and wide open path I think we lose sight of that little bit of adventure that most of us really get to experience.

So, every day I have to stretch to get my leg over this big Adventure I smile at my luck. I've managed to somehow marry the woman of my dreams, together have two wonderful daughters, and I get to ride motorcycles.

Damn, that is cool.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #102
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,654
55, Deputy/Cat Herder

Riding since 12, married 33, kids grown. Comatose Lab in chair next to me.

I ride frequently. I own five. I've owned a lot over the years. I don't play golf or fish or whatever. It's OK isn't it?

The 950 is my first KTM. It put a 990 engine in it and got the shop to tune it because my mech skills are marginal. I hate working on carbs, the little stinky bastards. And I suck at it.

I'm going to finish putting the fairing on and ride it for the first time for real today.

HMFs are loud. I hope I don't get arrested.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #103
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 972
Currently (there's a pun there somewhere) I work as a HVDC tie technician. In a nutshell I help maintain a 230kV back to back inverter which allows 110 Megawatts to be pushed in either direction across the out-of-sync East-West transmission grids. AC-DC-AC using thyristors....many many big thyristors. There are only a handful of these facilities in the country and this is one of the oldest. The electronics that control this are the size of a sedan and all 1970s analog technology, still functioning after all these years. I also maintain several area HV substations. It can be long periods of routine maintenance and testing punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
I started out as an electrician in underground coal mines in Australia and have worked in more areas of electrical maintenance, construction and engineering than I care to remember. Been in the States with my American wife for 13 years this time (a couple years back in the early nineties too). Have two boys who tower over my 6ft...if you laid them end to end they would be close to a First Down. Our 9 year old daughter runs the house, as they tend to do.
I class myself as a mostly road rider after years of several Japanese, a few Russian but mostly Italian rides. When I was younger I did a solo lap of Australia on a KLR600 (Round Oz) and several years later tortured my bride with a San Francisco to Sydney ride on a KLR650, through Europe and part of Asia...the trip of a lifetime. We could have called it the long way round - back when Ewan and Charley were still on BMW tricycles - but there really isn't a short way.

Pushing 50 and feeling completely out of shape and vulnerable to long lasting injuries. What better way to take this into account than a 100+ hp dirt bike?Definitely the best bike, maybe even the best thing, I have ever owned and I enjoy working on it almost as much as riding it. Nowadays an oil road is just a means of getting to the next section of dirt. Nothing speaks to me more than an open pipe at redline and a big dirty rooster tail.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #104
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Man, you guys do some cool stuff.

I'm an ME student at Purdue in Indiana. Senior year, so I'm just about done, and it's basically impossible to focus now that I have a job lined up. When I actually start working like everyone else here, I'll be an Applications Engineer with Cummins. Most of the other options were in the auto industry out in Detroit, which, although I'm a big car guy, isn't really a place I want to live. We'll see how Cummins goes, but the thought of working with such an inflexible schedule doesn't seem great to me. Eventually might end up at a smaller company out west. We'll see.

Before work starts, I have 4 months off to ride. Plan on going around the U.S, possibly up to alaska, on the 950. Should be a good time.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #105
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 688
International Banker.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote