User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Dboy11 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Why is the XR650L Superior to the DRZ400

Discuss. I am in an argument with a buddy who has the DRZ, and I have the XR. The XR is obviously superior, but I need more ammo
Dboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Thumbs down

Dumb
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Drwman82
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Laugh

I can think of 250 more reasons why the xr is better
Drwman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Well, the answer is subjective. The DRZ is way more modern, water cooled, as fast with a pipe and carb, and handles way better, and is lighter. POSSIBLY as reliable well not really maybe! Now the Honda is heavier so probably better two up or when loaded down. Has more touque. Is probably more reliable in the real world. And does handle very well on the road and on open trails. Depends solely on what its use is.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
xr is better.

when you get done a really nasty rocky hilly muddy tight single track trail nobody walks up to a drz rider and says, " thats pretty impressive how well you got through on that big bike".

I have ridden both, I liked the xr better on the trails. The drz felt taller, and the weight is almost the same.
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Skibikejunkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
when you get done a really nasty rocky hilly muddy tight single track trail nobody walks up to a drz rider and says, " thats pretty impressive how well you got through on that big bike".
Why, because nobody actually gets up such a hill on a DRZ?

'05 Husky TC 250 (Marianne)
'05 VStrom 1000
Skibikejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
DRZ-E model about 50 lbs lighter. I own XRL, just like it better?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,123
Upgrade the suspension and the XL600 is superior Even though they're 30years old

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
The DRZ is a bit more modern, but I don’t know that it all translates to “better”. The heart and soul is the power plant, and you need to decide if it’s “better”. Water cooling looks good on paper, but consider, if you stay up with your maintenance, use good synthetic oil, and change it often, there’s NOTHING wrong with air cooling, and that Honda engine is VERY proven. The XR’s suspension is a bit dated, but it’s not bad at all; just depends on what you want the bike to do. For adventure riding I really like the XR because it’s dead nuts reliable, and it’s one of the better handling road legal bikes when off road. I’m sure the DR-Z is a very nice bike though. The lighter weight is always welcome.

With all that being said, I ride a ’94 Kawasaki KLX650C which will kick the snot out of both of them…but it’s not running right now, so I lose.
HanShotFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanShotFirst View Post
The DRZ is a bit more modern, but I don’t know that it all translates to “better”. The heart and soul is the power plant, and you need to decide if it’s “better”. Water cooling looks good on paper, but consider, if you stay up with your maintenance, use good synthetic oil, and change it often, there’s NOTHING wrong with air cooling, and that Honda engine is VERY proven. The XR’s suspension is a bit dated, but it’s not bad at all; just depends on what you want the bike to do. For adventure riding I really like the XR because it’s dead nuts reliable, and it’s one of the better handling road legal bikes when off road. I’m sure the DR-Z is a very nice bike though. The lighter weight is always welcome.

With all that being said, I ride a ’94 Kawasaki KLX650C which will kick the snot out of both of them…but it’s not running right now, so I lose.
I will accept the superiority of the KLX when you find a bigger tank for it so you dont have to mooch gas after 10 or 15 miles. Kawasaki was on to something when they built the KLX650, but dumped it before the aftermarket caught up.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I will accept the superiority of the KLX when you find a bigger tank for it so you dont have to mooch gas after 10 or 15 miles. Kawasaki was on to something when they built the KLX650, but dumped it before the aftermarket caught up.
I would agree with that statement…the KLX was heading squarely down the right direction. It had inverted forks back in ’94 and the DRZ is just now getting there. It was lighter than the competition and the KLX engine puts out almost 10 more HP than the KLR; yeah, Kawasaki was on to something. But the market didn’t respond.

Yeah, the fuel tank is rather small. It’s like they thought it was an MX bike and not a dual sport trail bike. Acerbis made a larger tank years ago, but they’re very hard to find now. But when you get that larger tank and fill it full, it does make her rather top heavy.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Quote:
I would agree with that statement…the KLX was heading squarely down the right direction. It had inverted forks back in ’94 and the DRZ is just now getting there. It was lighter than the competition and the KLX engine puts out almost 10 more HP than the KLR; yeah, Kawasaki was on to something. But the market didn’t respond.

Yeah, the fuel tank is rather small. It’s like they thought it was an MX bike and not a dual sport trail bike. Acerbis made a larger tank years ago, but they’re very hard to find now. But when you get that larger tank and fill it full, it does make her rather top heavy.
Ain't that the truth, and no Doo to worry about. Whichever Kawasaki executive made the call to kill the KLX program and keep the KLR program alive unchanged since the Earth cooled should be flogged.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:

I always felt Kawasaki was on the perfect road to uh, perfection with the KLX but they were ahead of their time. By that I mean they had the LKLX almost perfect years before anyone was really DSiing off road bikes or making these an everyday rider like we are now. I think if Kawasaki made a nicer lighter KLX now it would outsell the KLR by a large margin if it was plateable.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 419
It's early... dunno why I'm sucking myself into this comparison

Having owned a DRZ, current owner of an XL600R and KLR and ridden both the XRL and XRR (friends)... gotta say the DRZ 'feels' more modern; that is, it's nimbler but lacks the torque of the Honda's (400cc vs. 600-650cc duh). Lowering links (<32" inseam) helps a ton even with the loss of suspension travel.

The XR is still a pig, and that is coming from a KLR rider. Reliable as hell, but a DRZ will easily out-perform it in single track, but a XRL would be a better choice if your terrain resembles Baja or wide-open sandboxes.
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I always felt Kawasaki was on the perfect road to uh, perfection with the KLX but they were ahead of their time. By that I mean they had the LKLX almost perfect years before anyone was really DSiing off road bikes or making these an everyday rider like we are now. I think if Kawasaki made a nicer lighter KLX now it would outsell the KLR by a large margin if it was plateable.
I think the “market” is wanting lighter weight and more power (always a good thing to have on the want list). I have a saying…if you’ll bother to make one for yourself, chances are, there are 10,000 people who are in need of the same thing. I mean, why is it we see people wanting to turn a WR450 into an adventure bike, right?

The KLX had nearly the horsepower of the BMW 650 with something like 70 less pounds. I think the BMW is much of the way there, with a very solid, reliable engine. It’s just too damn heavy.

As for the DRZ vs. the XR thing. I just can’t get past the bulletproof reliability of the XR’s engine. Less wrenching means more riding.