Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #151
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Hey, why did Pedrosa deliberately avoid Lorenzo's draft on the front straight? He did it the entire race, or at least until he got dropped.
So that the bike is cooled by cool air and not hot air off Lorenzo's bike.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #152
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
So that the bike is cooled by cool air and not hot air off Lorenzo's bike.
How does that explain Marquez taking the same line as Pedrosa out of the last turn on pretty much every lap?
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #153
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijuana_Taxi View Post
I was wondering that my self, I figured maybe he knew MM couldn't draft by in a single bike draft but could if he was in Lorenzo's wake as well. That was my uneducated guess.
I was thinking about that. I was also wondering if his plan was to simply hang out behind JLo until later in the race. Then he got caught up fighting with MM and JLo was able to pull out enough of a lead to ruin his little plan.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #154
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 6,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Pol wins on this:
Yowza!

2002 KTM 520 EXC for sale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926379
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #155
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,350
Well I enjoyed all of the races, didn't like Cal loosing the front, was happy for Vale but the clear rider of the weekend was Marquez. The way he saved that front end slide was exceptional and demonstrates just how much closer to the limit he is riding those tyres, all the others went from riding to crashing in a milli-second, Marquez was able to feel it start and react enough to save the front. That you won't see very often.

I still don't like him tho, too clean shaven or something.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #156
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
The way he saved that front end slide was exceptional and demonstrates just how much closer to the limit he is riding those tyres, all the others went from riding to crashing in a milli-second, Marquez was able to feel it start and react enough to save the front. That you won't see very often.
Actually you didn´t see even Marquez save it just one round before at Mugello. That looked like it was gone in a millisecond, too.

But it was an amazing save at Barcelona... and I hate to think what would´ve happened if he didn´t manage to do it – two crash-DNF´s in a row, and maybe also both him and DP into the kitty litter, then he would´ve definitely gone from hero to zero in a millisecond
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #157
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,279
This is Lorenzo's problem

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/P...ix+engine+rule

Lorenzo is currently on Engine #4, Pedroza, Marquez engine #2.

Rossi may well end up on the podium simply because Lorenzo runs out of 'fast' or has to start from pit row.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #158
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/P...ix+engine+rule

Lorenzo is currently on Engine #4, Pedroza, Marquez engine #2.

Rossi may well end up on the podium simply because Lorenzo runs out of 'fast' or has to start from pit row.

Pete
On the face of it it seems like a problem but I suspect Yamaha had a plan to start circulating the engines every race or so rather than use one until it's done. The engines Yamaha has used are still in circulation and they can use them whenever they want except for one of JLo's engines which I think is cashed. Where as Honda may consider their engines "done" (except emergency situation) once they move onto another one.

Just a guess but one should assume Yamaha are competent.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #159
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
One of Jlos engines was pulled out of circulation already.

Rossi seems to be doing the Ben Spies on bike two by tring to change it to his riding style. The other three Yamahas are the same but his is very different now. Since he is the number two rider they might get tired of that.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #160
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 6,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
One of Jlos engines was pulled out of circulation already.

Rossi seems to be doing the Ben Spies on bike two by tring to change it to his riding style. The other three Yamahas are the same but his is very different now. Since he is the number two rider they might get tired of that.
According to Cal, JLo has a special fuel tank which is repositioned for better balance at the start of the race with heavy fuel load. He says even Rossi does not have the tank.

On another note, it was said that JLo, Cal, and Brad Smith all had their bikes set up with a long wheel base while Rossi was set up with a short wheel base, which can only exacerbate Rossi's problem on the brakes (IMHO), one would think.

2002 KTM 520 EXC for sale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926379
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #161
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
On another note, it was said that JLo, Cal, and Brad Smith all had their bikes set up with a long wheel base while Rossi was set up with a short wheel base, which can only exacerbate Rossi's problem on the brakes (IMHO), one would think.
I think what we are seeing is the transition from point and shoot cornering (Dani's a great example of this) to a more small displacement style of racing where corner speed is the aim. Jorge is the main proponent of this, carrying the highest corner speeds and lean angles and others are following this. With top speed and braking fairly equal the only area for gain is in corner speed and the only way to achieve this is with smooth control and extreme lean, you really need a feel for the tyres.
Dani is adapting to this and I see less of his dramatic "stand the machine up and go" style, Mark, I believe, has the best feel for the edge grip of tyres and is faster than Dani because of this. Vales' traditional style of riding is not as smooth and will not let him be competitive, his charge through the pack riding does not provide the advantage it used to, it's all about managing the tenths now, not a short burst on the ragged edge.

Actually this is why the racing can appear boring, you really need to drill down to look at the fine control on display (thank christ for high speed cameras!) and appreciate the precision required. Probably why moto 2 is more appealing!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #162
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Marquez was able to feel it start and react enough to save the front. That you won't see very often.
I still don't like him tho, too clean shaven or something.
I think it's called "video game reaction time" and does he even have to shave yet?! Along with fearlessness, two more advantages of youth.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #163
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Mark, I believe, has the best feel for the edge grip of tyres and is faster than Dani because of this.
How do you define "faster"? Since neither Pedrosa nor Marquez have been taken out by other riders, the standings speak for themselves.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #164
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
How do you define "faster"? Since neither Pedrosa nor Marquez have been taken out by other riders, the standings speak for themselves.
I haven't looked at timing but watching Mark chewing on Danis' back tyre and only not getting past due to Danis' defensive riding on sunday looked like the faster guy was Mark.
I'm not saying he is going to clean up the championship as he runs the risk of crashing more than Dani but I believe he can ride faster than Dani.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #165
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 12,901
Quote:
I haven't looked at timing but watching Mark chewing on Danis' back tyre and only not getting past due to Danis' defensive riding on sunday looked like the faster guy was Mark.
I'm not saying he is going to clean up the championship as he runs the risk of crashing more than Dani but I believe he can ride faster than Dani.
For how long? At Mugello he got past Dani and crashed in the next corner. Looks to me like he needs Dani in front to help him finish the race.
I keed I keed.

I see a lot of pressure on Dani this year. Most of all he needs to finish every race as well as he can. Marauez is not making that easy.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote