Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
a.c.s. OP
Complaining less

Oddometer: 237
COBDR on a 950 ADV

Hi OC'rs,

I'm newbie to the KTM world, but am not so new to ADV Riding. I totaled my '11 GSA after 23k miles and decided to upgrade to a more offroad capable (and cheaper) '04 ADV S.

I'm riding the COBDR next month and will be riding out from Michigan. I'm concerned about the jetting of the bike (which is completely stock). Will I just be able to adjust the air/fuel ratio's once I'm in the high country, or should I rejet for high altitudes? I have R&D remote air/fuel screws installed...

Thanks,
-acs

Semper Fidelis
a.c.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,591
Get a Head2Wind jet kit and tell him what you want to do, follow his advice.
Ride happy.

End of story.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,048
Be sure to do a Ride Report...

I'll be doing that ride in Late August.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
I'm riding that in September. I've ridden two-up to the top of Mt. Evans. The bike will run at that altitude with no major problems. Make sure you leave the idle jets as the stock 42s. My mains were large for the altitude when I went up Evans. If you have the stock setup at 160/165 (without a pre filter), you should do great. My mains are currently 168/172, and I'm bringing them down a little as I finish up my rebuild. FlexJet 2s work very well on the bike so that you can calm the idle down as you change altitude, but its not an absolute necessity. It takes me about 1/4 turn down on the screws when I travel from 900' elevation (Des Moines) to Denver to make it idle perfectly.

Yes, a ride report of the route would be very welcome here. I plan on riding from four corners up to Steamboat for the KTM Rally in September.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
a.c.s. OP
Complaining less

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
Get a Head2Wind jet kit and tell him what you want to do, follow his advice.
Ride happy.

End of story.

PM sent to H2W... Standing by for his suggestions. Thanks for the heads up.

Semper Fidelis
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
a.c.s. OP
Complaining less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post

Q~
Roger that - GoPro will be running and plenty of photos will be taken. Good documentation brings back the memories as though I'm reliving the experience - well worth the effort in itself, but sharing the story is awesome too.

Semper Fidelis
Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
a.c.s. OP
Complaining less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I'm riding that in September. I've ridden two-up to the top of Mt. Evans. The bike will run at that altitude with no major problems. Make sure you leave the idle jets as the stock 42s. My mains were large for the altitude when I went up Evans. If you have the stock setup at 160/165 (without a pre filter), you should do great. My mains are currently 168/172, and I'm bringing them down a little as I finish up my rebuild. FlexJet 2s work very well on the bike so that you can calm the idle down as you change altitude, but its not an absolute necessity. It takes me about 1/4 turn down on the screws when I travel from 900' elevation (Des Moines) to Denver to make it idle perfectly.

Yes, a ride report of the route would be very welcome here. I plan on riding from four corners up to Steamboat for the KTM Rally in September.
Ahh - good to know that I could run the stock jetting without running into much trouble. I'm still checking into H2W's kit and will give that serious consideration as I like the idea of running a pre-filter.

West Des Moines? My brother lived there while he was working at Drake. I actually stayed there a night with him both ways when my wife and I rode to the Tetons and Yellowstone on the GSA in '11. Some of the back roads in Iowa were fun to ride, but the wind was killer!

Ride report will be on its way with good time.

Semper Fidelis
Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
sonoran
bruh

Oddometer: 21,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post

Q~
Hey me too! Currently Aug 24-Sept 1.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:00 AM   #9
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.c.s. View Post
Ahh - good to know that I could run the stock jetting without running into much trouble. I'm still checking into H2W's kit and will give that serious consideration as I like the idea of running a pre-filter.

West Des Moines? My brother lived there while he was working at Drake. I actually stayed there a night with him both ways when my wife and I rode to the Tetons and Yellowstone on the GSA in '11. Some of the back roads in Iowa were fun to ride, but the wind was killer!

Ride report will be on its way with good time.
I graduated from Drake. Law, '94. Iowa roads suck! The entire state was laid out in a grid of 99 counties, and the roads generally run within the grid -- precisely north/south or east/west. Lots and lots of gravel, though. You get very good at gravel if you live here.

Best of luck on your trip. I'm prepping my 950 for the trip right now:

Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
head2wind has quite a reputation for jetting the 950-

For everything else, contact CJ at CJdesigns! If you haven't done the necessary water pump/fuel pump/clutch jet, also put it high on the priority list!

Semper Fi!

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
a.c.s. OP
Complaining less

Quote:
I graduated from Drake. Law, '94. Iowa roads suck! The entire state was laid out in a grid of 99 counties, and the roads generally run within the grid -- precisely north/south or east/west. Lots and lots of gravel, though. You get very good at gravel if you live here.

Best of luck on your trip. I'm prepping my 950 for the trip right now:

You're the only attorney with enough gumption to tear their own motor I've ever heard of - good on ya!

Semper Fidelis
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
a.c.s. OP
Complaining less

H2W kit has been ordered. I think I have some jetting issues anyways, so hopefully this will clear all that up.

Thanks for the suggestions gents!

Semper Fidelis
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.c.s. View Post
You're the only attorney with enough gumption to tear their own motor I've ever heard of - good on ya!
Oh no. My motor is sitting on a workbench of an as yet unnamed repair shop. (not authorized to work on LC8s). I'm doing most of the work, but with a LOT of direction. Also, I grew up on a high production farm (5,000 acres), so I'm not scared off by complicated machines. Electronics, yes, but not machines.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
a.c.s. OP
Complaining less

Quote:
Oh no. My motor is sitting on a workbench of an as yet unnamed repair shop. (not authorized to work on LC8s). I'm doing most of the work, but with a LOT of direction. Also, I grew up on a high production farm (5,000 acres), so I'm not scared off by complicated machines. Electronics, yes, but not machines.
Good to hear - when something is logically engineered it's usually not to hard to figure out how it works by taking it apart and putting it back together.

Electronics aren't too bad as long as you don't have to troubleshoot down to circuit boards.

Semper Fidelis
Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
a.c.s. OP
Complaining less

OK... So I essentially have a stock '04 ADV S. I'm going to install the H2W Kit as soon as it arrives.

What other essential maintenance issues should be taken care of before I head off on the trip?

I still have to pull the water pump apart to check that, but I'm considering just biting the bullet and buying the CJDesigns rebuild kit.

In addition, I've found the clutch to be a little grabby. I'm going to clean out the oil jet this weekend when I have a spare moment.

Thoughts?

-acs

Semper Fidelis