ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which bike should SSS buy?
Star Bolt 32 29.91%
Triumph Speedmaster 75 70.09%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #31
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Bolt...no more crown for the Crown. I like the gap between the seat and tank.....seat won't rub on the paint.And, if you want,you can order spoked rims right from Yamaha.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #32
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
The Bolt and Speedie are two very different experiences in seating position.

The standard position of the Bolt leaves you with your feet below your knees, depending on femur length. The Speedie is foot forward.

I like the Speedmaster. It has a nice sound, the p-twin makes nice power (sort of a nice balance between the high winder l-4's and the tractor power of vtwins). And it looks good. Lots of accessories. Lots of farkles. Performance parts by mail, if you like to tinker.

The biggest drawback about it is the forward controls, which you can swap.

On the used market they're dirt cheap. Even the local stealership made me a good deal on one last year after they had it on the floor as a trade for nearly a year. So, they're dirt cheap for a reason. Which is why I wouldn't buy a new one.

Your only option for a Bolt is to buy new, obviously. At least right now. There may be one that pops up on eBay with 12 miles after I post this. I dunno.

I've already burned up a keyboard talking about the Bolt, so you know what I think about that bike.

The two bikes sorta sit and ride similarly, with the short kind of drag style bars and the shorter wheelbases. The Speedie feels like it has a lower cg and more clearance. But that's kind of it.

Power is really a toss up. 52 lbs at 3500 rpm, because Bolt has a specific tune for low end, makes it fun to squirt around through traffic on, and the OHC and 4 valve heads mean it's got some top end hiding in there if you like to tinker, tune, pipe, and put a breather on stuff. And a 500 lb bike with 50 lbs at 3500 has really become the industry target for this segment. So, Bolt's not some weakling.
The Triumph also has some power hiding in there, but they really wind up about the same.

It's really going to come down to riding them. They ride differently in stock form. They sound different because of the engines. The transmissions are different to shift, and the final drives are different.

It's a sensory choice. You'll just have to go with your gut.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #33
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Amazing a 950cc engine could put out so little power. I guess that explains why so many complain that 800-950cc v-twins do not make enough power for long distance highway riding. The Vulcan 750 puts out over 60 hp, and weighs 480 pounds. And that is with 200cc less than the Yamaha, and includes shaft drive, and a centerstand.
The Vulcan puts out 55 and it has to spin up to 7500 rpm to do it, in stock form- which is what we're comparing here. It also weighs 500 lbs and makes a piddly 40 lbs of torque with a wonky torque curve. It's the very best the 80's had to offer, but do the math on your fingers and count how long ago that was.
Then engine may make the numbers you're proposing, but it still has to twist through a shaft drive before it gets to the ground where the real world is.

And before you start saying I pulled these numbers out of the air:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2645

Bolt makes 50-52 lbs at 3500rpm with a nice fat curve from idle. So, it's tuned to do what it's made for: urban riding. Likewise for the Speedie. Both these bikes are better suited for the task, powerwise, than the aging Vulcan 750, which is why it was axed and the 900 reps Kawi in this segment with a v-twin that makes... you guessed it: about 50ish lbs in about a 500+lb package and it comes in at about 3500 rpm with the stock mufflers, airbox, and tune.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #34
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
The Vulcan puts out 55 and it has to spin up to 7500 rpm to do it, in stock form- which is what we're comparing here.

Vulcan 750 has 45 RWHP, end of story.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #35
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 439
just to compare, my recently acquired '06 VT750DC Spirit is rated for 45HP @ 5500RPM and 46.5 ft. lbs @ 3300RPM ... Bike weighs in @ 496 lbs dry ... be interesting to Ride a Bolt to see/feel the difference ...

I do find the Spirit to be excellent for urban Riding BTW ...

ZZ-R Rider screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 09:32 AM Reason: add content
ZZ-R Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #36
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Regardless of the hp number on the spec sheet at the end of the day, you either enjoy the bike on a daily basis or you don't. Both bikes have sufficient power to have plenty of fun and the only time it will matter is if you are drag racing. So this power issue to me is really a moot point.

The speedmaster is a muscle cruiser. It's a bike for having fun on relatively short rides as it doesn't offer an overly comfortable seating position for long rides. It's more form then function, and the main reason you buy over a triumph america is because you have to have this sexy looking beast. It is my favorite when compared to the bolt.

The bolt is a complete sportster knock off. I sat on it and it immediately screamed "sportster" at me, in terms or ergos and general feel. Can't comment on longer distance riding comfort, but I don't remember the sportster being overly comfy for my 6ft frame, but there's some chance you might find it more comfy than the speedmaster. This is the bike you get if you dig the sportster but want something different.

You really need to ride them both and see which one speaks to you bud. As other's have said, once you try them both, you might choose neither.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #37
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I like the Speedmaster. It has a nice sound, the p-twin makes nice power (sort of a nice balance between the high winder l-4's and the tractor power of vtwins).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Speedmaster uses a 270dgr crank, so technicaly it's not a paralell-twin.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #38
Super Sneaky Steve OP
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,758
[QUOTE=norseXL;21628445]
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Speedmaster uses a 270dgr crank, so technicaly it's not a paralell-twin.
If it has two cylinders that are paralell to eachother it's a P-twin.

As I gave the 48 another look some guys are fitting a Nightster 3.3 tank to it. It doesn't look too bad.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #39
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Super Sneaky Steve;21629184]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseXL View Post

If it has two cylinders that are paralell to eachother it's a P-twin.

As I gave the 48 another look some guys are fitting a Nightster 3.3 tank to it. It doesn't look too bad.
That's not correct, inline two cylinder, yes.
A true paralell twin has both pistons on top at the same time.
Just like the old Turner twins.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #40
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 741
Seating is a non issue on any bike. There are tons of options. Triumph makes a good long haul seat-add a UTOPIA backrest and you are golden. That's just Triumph. Same with other brands, as you already know.

Seating, screens, or bars. Most likely one of the three, or maybe all of them, need to be tweaked for the owner. Non issue for many.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #41
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
A parallel twin has more to do with the orientation of the bores (parallel as opposed to V, or opposed), than it does with the placement of the crank pins and timing of piston movement. Different versions have used cranks with 180*, 360* and 270* cranks but the basic engine architecture is still that of a parallel twin. BMW boxer pistons also arrive at TDC together but we don't refer to them as parallel twins. You could conceivably throw a 270* crank in a 90* v-twin and make it happen too but it would still be a v-twin.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Vulcan 750 has 45 RWHP, end of story.
Hey, I found the most optimistic dyno sheet I could. I'm trying to save ole' Jerry some face.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #43
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
A parallel twin has more to do with the orientation of the bores (parallel as opposed to V, or opposed), than it does with the placement of the crank pins and timing of piston movement. Different versions have used cranks with 180*, 360* and 270* cranks but the basic engine architecture is still that of a parallel twin. BMW boxer pistons also arrive at TDC together but we don't refer to them as parallel twins. You could conceivably throw a 270* crank in a 90* v-twin and make it happen too but it would still be a v-twin.
I do wery well know about the different engine configutations(nothing you ever can learn me there) and understand that the bores in a inline twin are paralell to each other.
However, at least back in the days, a paralell twin was considered a engine where both piston went up and down side by side, so argue about paralell bores all you want, it is still not considered a "paralell twin" by those in the know.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #44
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
The bolt is a complete sportster knock off. I sat on it and it immediately screamed "sportster" at me, in terms or ergos and general feel.
You must have not sat on a lot of Sportster, or ridden many, or you're just impressionable and repeating what you heard.

The Sportster is also the very best technology of the 70's.

If anything, the Bolt is a direct competitor for the Superglide. But if you go to a lot of bike events and know or watch a lot of custom build in person on via the intertubes, then you know that the Bolt is something else altogether.

So is the Speedmaster. And some people want an altogether different starting point.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #45
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseXL View Post
I do wery well know about the different engine configutations(nothing you ever can learn me there) and understand that the bores in a inline twin are paralell to each other.
However, at least back in the days, a paralell twin was considered a engine where both piston went up and down side by side, so argue about paralell bores all you want, it is still not considered a "paralell twin" by those in the know.
Call it whatever you like. I don't care. I used the term the way most people in the civilized world use it. But I'm not your mama. You can do what you want.