ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #181
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj551 View Post
Hey Ben,

I may try to head over to BV this weekend to scout things out. My preference is to do easier ST. 4 Mile looks to be dirt roads & a couple ATV trails. (?) I want this to be fun and educational!
Pat

Ya it is mostly ATV/4x4. I don't know if that would be a better environment to practice skills on?????? If there are a bunch of bigger bikes it would be better then Taylor, but if you get mostly small bikes Taylor would work well too. The only problem I can see with Taylor is most of the easy single track has a lot of side hill exposure, which could be intimidating depending on the skill level.

Either way people will really like you putting the time into this Nice Job!!
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #182
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Ya it is mostly ATV/4x4. I don't know if that would be a better environment to practice skills on?????? If there are a bunch of bigger bikes it would be better then Taylor, but if you get mostly small bikes Taylor would work well too. The only problem I can see with Taylor is most of the easy single track has a lot of side hill exposure, which could be intimidating depending on the skill level.

Either way people will really like you putting the time into this Nice Job!!

Thanks Ben. This will be fun. I'm going to 4 Mile this Sat....
Patj551 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #183
binskies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dabluz View Post
A couple of years ago, about 8 of us WestFesters did a RUN FROM THE RAIN ride which is a GREAT ONE for the newer DS riders w/o alot of experience. It consisted of 5 passes leaving BV west to Cottonwood Pass then over to Tin Cup area and climbing Cumberland Pass. Descend to Pitkin and head SE to Wanita Pass, then Black Sage and finally over Old Monarch Pass onto Hwy 50 eastbound and then north on Hwy 24 back to BV.. and we avoided the rain all day...
Just leave room in those saddlebags for a 12 pack or more before arriving back at the cmpgnd. You'll be glad you did.
This definitely sounds like a ride I'd be interested in. Any volunteers to "lead" a goup of riders????

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!"
binskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #184
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Thanks Ben. This will be fun. I'm going to 4 Mile this Sat....
I think you'll like 4-Mile. I found it to have a lot of fun riding without having to go any great distance. There's even some great camping there.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #185
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I think you'll like 4-Mile. I found it to have a lot of fun riding without having to go any great distance. There's even some great camping there.
+1

I'd join you if I could. I think this is the perfect place to do what you're thinking... Have fun.
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #186
29andSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Anyone else bringing kids along? I'll have my 11yr old and he is decent beginner rider on a new bigger bike. Be fun for him to hang out with other kids instead of boring old adults.
29andSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #187
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29andSingle View Post
Anyone else bringing kids along? I'll have my 11yr old and he is decent beginner rider on a new bigger bike. Be fun for him to hang out with other kids instead of boring old adults.
I'll have a 12 yr old that LOVES to ride (and is pretty decent) and a 14 yr old that can't decide if she likes it or not. Friday and Sat I have hard (not for kids) rides planned, but I don't have anything solid for Sunday yet; should we put together a family ride? Or, if your kid wants to ride more, you could take everyone out on either Fri or Sat and I could take them all out on Sun.

Fourmile is a great area for family rides. I also have a friend who has built an easy (kids) MX track 40 miles from BV. The kids like it and It's also a lot of fun with the adults on little bikes.

We need some better video of the track, but this is all we have:
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #188
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
I'll have a 12 yr old that LOVES to ride (and is pretty decent) and a 14 yr old that can't decide if she likes it or not. Friday and Sat I have hard (not for kids) rides planned, but I don't have anything solid for Sunday yet; should we put together a family ride? Or, if your kid wants to ride more, you could take everyone out on either Fri or Sat and I could take them all out on Sun.

Fourmile is a great area for family rides. I also have a friend who has built an easy (kids) MX track 40 miles from BV. The kids like it and It's also a lot of fun with the adults on little bikes.

When Hayduke used to non-organize the 4-Mile Freakout every May, that seemed like the ideal aspect of 4-Mile. It had a little of everything over there for all levels of riders. There were easy, scenic rides all the way to some pretty challenging singletrack. Variety is present in spades there.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #189
29andSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:

Mine has only been riding for two years and he likes the easier terrain. We will hopefully be showing up thursday night but probably friday morning. Definitely be down for a family ride. I'd be happy to take some other kids if other parents wanted to do harder rides. That 4 mile area looks great.

29andSingle screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 10:03 AM
29andSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #190
binskies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
I'd like to lead a "ladies only ride" Friday morning. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former Women's Pro Motocross racer and downhill mountain bike racer. I have long since retired from racing but still absolutely love riding! I also love teaching. I do not know the Taylor Park area well, but I think we can trailer over to TP and choose some of the easier trails to ride. My thoughts are to cover basic techniques like braking, body positioning, and how to ride obstacles. I like to give overviews of skills and then go ride and find stuff to practice on. That way it's a fun riding experience not just a bunch of drills. Ben said there are women signed up, some on trail bikes, some on dual sports. Basic skills are transferable so we'll have to see who's interested and what she's riding to figure this out. I will have both my dirt bike and dual sport it's also possible to split this into a morning single track session and afternoon dual sport session. I'm "thinking out loud" here, so nothing is set in stone. I just think it's a great opportunity to work with women riders and meet folks that I'm sure will be fun! If there is not enough "women only" interest, I will consider opening this to beginner guys. But, let's try for a "ladies only" ride first!

Cheers!
Pat Jacques
I might be interested in this. I definitely fall into the noob to dual sport riding category, and will be on a KLR650, so ST is out for me, I think. But if you do some KLR friendly stuff that would be cool. I'll be there Thursday, so I can look for the horse trailer and catch up with you then.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!"
binskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #191
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,950
A mini Chickfest! Sounds good to me.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #192
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,410
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #193
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Here’s what I’m thinking for Sat: Cottonwood Pass to Taylor Park. Then we’ll start with Lily Pond; I’ll probably also publish some GPS track that show how to get around Lily Pond for the people that aren’t interested in singletrack. Then take Italian Mtn rd to Am Flag Mtn. I’ll also publish track from here showing how to get back to the campground. After this the day becomes a lot harder: Reno Ridge, Deadman, Block and Tackle, Pearl Pass, Express Creek, and 440 (I think this is called Brush Creek), then home.
Pablo,

For the single-track option do you stay on Lily Pond Tr #534 all the way to Italian Creek Rd or turn left on trail #623 then right on #411 (top of Star Tr) to Italian Creek Rd?

I'm thinking for Saturday to ride Lily Pond - American Flag - Flag Creek Tr (#422) - Bear Creek Tr (#415) - Deadman Gulch (#420) - Cement Mtn Tr (#553) - Rosebud (#423) - Spring Creek Rd (#744) - Rocky Brook Rd (#748) and back to wherever we parked Drooling on my map right now haha...
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #194
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post
Pablo,

For the single-track option do you stay on Lily Pond Tr #534 all the way to Italian Creek Rd or turn left on trail #623 then right on #411 (top of Star Tr) to Italian Creek Rd?
Just Lily Pond to Italian. I've planned for the route to get harder as the day goes on, so people who just want an easy scenic ride can come for the Am. Flag Mtn section and then drop out. Tr 623 would be too much for those people. But if you want to head down it, we'll meet you at the top of Flag.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #195
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Just Lily Pond to Italian. I've planned for the route to get harder as the day goes on, so people who just want an easy scenic ride can come for the Am. Flag Mtn section and then drop out. Tr 623 would be too much for those people. But if you want to head down it, we'll meet you at the top of Flag.
American Flag isn't that tough, is it? The videos I saw on YouTube didn't look too heinous, but it's sometimes deceptive as to difficulty level on some of those vids.