ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #76
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
COXR650L's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech1950 View Post
ben, any room for a popup on the lawn? everest.....
Hey sorry there is not enough room for campers and the campground will not let them go up the steep ass hill to the tent area anyway



Chris............

Are you guys planning on doing all single track or more DS stuff?


TNC...........
I hope the surgery goes ok and we see you for WF
__________________
Dubinky.com Enduro, Trail, Dual-Sport and Adventure Riding Apparel.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #77
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Hey sorry there is not enough room for campers and the campground will not let them go up the steep ass hill to the tent area anyway



Chris............

Are you guys planning on doing all single track or more DS stuff?


TNC...........
I hope the surgery goes ok and we see you for WF
The plan was st for Fri & sat and doing a pass (DS) ride on sun. I'm planning on bringing the 300. I'm trying to decide if I want to bring the 525 for the DS ride and show up a day early.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #78
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
I'm a definate possible maybe......
Bash rolls with the Green Chili eaters
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #79
AKASY
Noob
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Hopefully on a bike
Oddometer: 2,149
NM gaggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Bash rolls with the Green Chili eaters
Didn't I see Ditch, Capt Rick signed up on one post somewhere?
__________________
Don't make the mistake of believing everything you think.
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #80
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ditch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: abq,nm
Oddometer: 1,016
In! Bringing the Husaberg, will have to pack a little fuel, but the ride is worth it. Looking to share a ride with someone if the logistics will work out. I should be off work about 8am Thursday for the rest of the weekend.
__________________
Wendell
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy....we must be cautious.
Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #81
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....
 
CaptRick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Santa Fe NM
Oddometer: 4,415
He'll yes I'm IN!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
Arggh ya scurvy dogs, thar's Pirating to be done!

Growing older every day but never growing up.
CaptRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #82
Patj551
Studly Adventurer
 
Patj551's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 517
Ben, what kind of fuel range do we need for ST Fri & Sat? Meaning, do the trails loop back to camp like Peachtree or do we need the whole day's fuel on board?
__________________
'14 KTM 350 XCF-W
'13 BMW F800GS (low)
'08 Yamaha FJR 1300
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #83
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
COXR650L's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj551 View Post
Ben, what kind of fuel range do we need for ST Fri & Sat? Meaning, do the trails loop back to camp like Peachtree or do we need the whole day's fuel on board?
Hey Pat, no none of the trails loop back to the campground, you have to ride (or haul) over Cottonwood pass to get into the Taylor park stuff, which I am guessing is 20 miles (??). However, once in Taylor Park you can fill up at the little general store that is at the base of Cottonwood so you can top off when you get into Taylor and then when you leave also. If you have around 80-100 mile range I think you will be fine. Maybe some of the guys that were going to lead some groups (Raul, Pablo or Wentjo, or anyone else) can give a better answer though.

What kind of range does the WR get? Are you planning on doing all ST?
__________________
Dubinky.com Enduro, Trail, Dual-Sport and Adventure Riding Apparel.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #84
Patj551
Studly Adventurer
 
Patj551's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Hey Pat, no none of the trails loop back to the campground, you have to ride (or haul) over Cottonwood pass to get into the Taylor park stuff, which I am guessing is 20 miles (??). However, once in Taylor Park you can fill up at the little general store that is at the base of Cottonwood so you can top off when you get into Taylor and then when you leave also. If you have around 80-100 mile range I think you will be fine. Maybe some of the guys that were going to lead some groups (Raul, Pablo or Wentjo, or anyone else) can give a better answer though.

What kind of range does the WR get? Are you planning on doing all ST?
WR gets about 75 miles to the tank. I've got a couple MSR bottles for extra fuel and the option of mounting a HUGE 6.6 Gall Acerbis tank. Since some of the ST looks gnarly, I don't want the weight & fuel sloshing around if I can avoid it. Planning a mixture of DS & ST...sounds like a group will do ST Fri & Sat. That would be my preference but my plans are fluid.
__________________
'14 KTM 350 XCF-W
'13 BMW F800GS (low)
'08 Yamaha FJR 1300
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #85
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
COXR650L's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj551 View Post
WR gets about 75 miles to the tank. I've got a couple MSR bottles for extra fuel and the option of mounting a HUGE 6.6 Gall Acerbis tank. Since some of the ST looks gnarly, I don't want the weight & fuel sloshing around if I can avoid it. Planning a mixture of DS & ST...sounds like a group will do ST Fri & Sat. That would be my preference but my plans are fluid.
If you bring two MSRs I bet your fine, and you probably dont need those. I agree the 6.6 is probably a little much for TP

Have you ridding the Taylor Park area before? If not Paul's Friday ride would give some really good highlights of the area.
__________________
Dubinky.com Enduro, Trail, Dual-Sport and Adventure Riding Apparel.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #86
Patj551
Studly Adventurer
 
Patj551's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
If you bring two MSRs I bet your fine, and you probably dont need those. I agree the 6.6 is probably a little much for TP

Have you ridding the Taylor Park area before? If not Paul's Friday ride would give some really good highlights of the area.
No, I have not dirt biked Taylor Park. (I've hiked & horse backed some of the area.). Yes, I've been keeping an eye on Paul's posts. Am really looking forward to this weekend! Thank you for all your work!
__________________
'14 KTM 350 XCF-W
'13 BMW F800GS (low)
'08 Yamaha FJR 1300
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #87
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
COXR650L's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj551 View Post
No, I have not dirt biked Taylor Park. (I've hiked & horse backed some of the area.). Yes, I've been keeping an eye on Paul's posts. Am really looking forward to this weekend! Thank you for all your work!

You'll have a good time, some really cool single track. Its getting close....................
__________________
Dubinky.com Enduro, Trail, Dual-Sport and Adventure Riding Apparel.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:19 AM   #88
Assfault
Exposed Member
 
Assfault's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: RockyMountains
Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Bash rolls with the Green Chili eaters
Hell yea! Yours is the only group crazy enough to let me ride with.
Looks like I will be home for the 4th weekend. This work stuff is overrated.
I cant wait to ride again, I've been out in the field to long.
__________________
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #89
Hair
Outside the boxer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 13,356
It would be great to list some routes and rank some of the trails.
I am interested in going to Flag MT. Any of you locals have a good route for getting there?

Also I did a Teocalli ridge trail ride at my first WF. It's a long hard ride. But well worth it.
Again I am looking for routing suggestions and tracks to avoid. There is a lot of single track in TP. A lot of it is stitched between FRs.
Trails such as the Gunny spur trail is pretty easy to ride and fun too. Parts of the Timberline trail is very rocky.

I am currently using Lat 40 maps the one for Crested Butte and Taylor park.
I also use Trails Illustrated maps.

I know that almost no one preplans their rides at rallies. But honestly guys having a good chat about it now. Makes this magical place a ride of a life time.

My primary riding interests include
Teocalli ridge
Taylor or Pearl pass.
Flag mountain.

And maybe Tincup one day. I"ve never ridden TinCup.
__________________
Why would I want to do that??
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #90
TNC
Candyass Camper
 
TNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 4,443
I thought I'd ask this here instead of a new post since WF will be in the area this year. After WF I plan on primitive camping in the Taylor area to do more rides with closer access. The Devil's Punchbowl. How do those of you who have done Black Bear compare the difficulty of the two? I know BB only has the one difficult spot at the steps. I've seen a few DP vids of dirt bikes doing it, and even on with a guy on an 1150GS...but vids can be deceiving. In addition to the comparison to BB, which direction is easier?...E to W...or W to E. I've been on both sides of it, so I'm familiar with the access. I recall it appearing easier W to E but I'd rather rely on real intel from you folks. I'm a decent rider on a well modded KLX300, but I'm getting a bit older and don't want to make the 10PM news.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014