ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #91
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I thought I'd ask this here instead of a new post since WF will be in the area this year. After WF I plan on primitive camping in the Taylor area to do more rides with closer access. The Devil's Punchbowl. How do those of you who have done Black Bear compare the difficulty of the two? I know BB only has the one difficult spot at the steps. I've seen a few DP vids of dirt bikes doing it, and even on with a guy on an 1150GS...but vids can be deceiving. In addition to the comparison to BB, which direction is easier?...E to W...or W to E. I've been on both sides of it, so I'm familiar with the access. I recall it appearing easier W to E but I'd rather rely on real intel from you folks. I'm a decent rider on a well modded KLX300, but I'm getting a bit older and don't want to make the 10PM news.
They'd probably feature you on the 6 oclock edition
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #92
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
They'd probably feature you on the 6 oclock edition
LOL!...You know me too well, don't you. If I'm not back in camp at a decent hour to enjoy an evening adult beverage, the trip ain't worth taking. You guys can have your midnight death marches.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #93
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,362
Quote:
You guys can have your midnight death marches.
We never plan them, just lucky
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #94
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Hey Hair,

So I am not a Taylor Park expert and I am horrible with names (cant remember which trails are which), so some times looking at a map and try and give an idea of a good of a ride is not such a good idea Anyway here would be my suggestion:

Teocalli Ridge is kind of out of the way from Am Flag, Taylor and Pearl so I would suggest doing a DS day to hit the passes and then a single track day to get in Teocalli.

For the DS day I would Ride over TIn Cup into Taylor for fuel. Do the first part of Lilly Pond Trail (ST) to Italian Creek Rd (759) up to American Flag. From there I would tie into Black and Tackle (ST) to East Brush Creek Rd to Brush Creek Rd (738) and up over Pearl Pass and then back into Taylor via Taylor Pass. If you are doing good on time you can go into Aspen have lunch and then ride up the ski Mt to Taylor. If that is too long of a day I would cut out Tin Cup.

How hard of a single track day do you want, is timberline out? Let me know and I can give you some suggestions to link into Teocalli and maybe some one else can give some input too.

Also I read on a MT website Teocalli is closed for the summer, but the FS did not say anything about a closure. Anyone know for sure????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
It would be great to list some routes and rank some of the trails.
I am interested in going to Flag MT. Any of you locals have a good route for getting there?

Also I did a Teocalli ridge trail ride at my first WF. It's a long hard ride. But well worth it.
Again I am looking for routing suggestions and tracks to avoid. There is a lot of single track in TP. A lot of it is stitched between FRs.
Trails such as the Gunny spur trail is pretty easy to ride and fun too. Parts of the Timberline trail is very rocky.

I am currently using Lat 40 maps the one for Crested Butte and Taylor park.
I also use Trails Illustrated maps.

I know that almost no one preplans their rides at rallies. But honestly guys having a good chat about it now. Makes this magical place a ride of a life time.

My primary riding interests include
Teocalli ridge
Taylor or Pearl pass.
Flag mountain.

And maybe Tincup one day. I"ve never ridden TinCup.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #95
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,356
I was hearing the Teocalli was closed last summer. Part of why I posted my post was to see if anyone had current info on it.

Thanks for the postings.
I think that Pearl and Taylor would make for a full day of riding.
For me to get over and with out a map infront of me. I was looking at the trail that starts over by dinner station. Eventually that turns into the Gunny spur. Then later on jump onto a forest road and connect with the Star trail. Both of those trails have some great high country views and are worth the efforts to ride them.

I am currently rebuilding the forks on my 625. Once I get that done I hope to have enough in my budget to register and come ride.

Thanks for hosting this event.
I hope to see all of you next month.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #96
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
I thought I'd ask this here instead of a new post since WF will be in the area this year. After WF I plan on primitive camping in the Taylor area to do more rides with closer access. The Devil's Punchbowl. How do those of you who have done Black Bear compare the difficulty of the two? I know BB only has the one difficult spot at the steps. I've seen a few DP vids of dirt bikes doing it, and even on with a guy on an 1150GS...but vids can be deceiving. In addition to the comparison to BB, which direction is easier?...E to W...or W to E. I've been on both sides of it, so I'm familiar with the access. I recall it appearing easier W to E but I'd rather rely on real intel from you folks. I'm a decent rider on a well modded KLX300, but I'm getting a bit older and don't want to make the 10PM news.
It's easier, IMHO, if you approach it W->E from Lead King Basin. The most difficult part of that ride is from the river crossing at the top to DP if coming E->W . It's really rocky and cut out of the side of the mountain. Coming from the LKB side, it's a little rocky in spots but not too bad. As far as difficulty, you should be fine on the KLX if you're good in the rocks... it's about the same difficulty as the steps on BB but for a lot longer... I rode it on a WR450 as well as a YZ426. I know some do, but I wouldn't take my Tenere' down it...
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #97
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I was hearing the Teocalli was closed last summer. Part of why I posted my post was to see if anyone had current info on it.

Thanks for the postings.
I think that Pearl and Taylor would make for a full day of riding.
For me to get over and with out a map infront of me. I was looking at the trail that starts over by dinner station. Eventually that turns into the Gunny spur. Then later on jump onto a forest road and connect with the Star trail. Both of those trails have some great high country views and are worth the efforts to ride them.

I am currently rebuilding the forks on my 625. Once I get that done I hope to have enough in my budget to register and come ride.

Thanks for hosting this event.
I hope to see all of you next month.
Star, is a challenge, but one of my favorites. I was going to suggest it to get into Teocalli the following day, but using it to get would to Am Flag would be good to. Anyone know the name of the single track that ties into Lilly Pond and then up towards the top of Italian Creek by American Flag? That would be a good route too and stay off the roads mostly????

I may be riding the Taylor system prior to WF so will know if Teocalli is open or not, but you could be right that it was last summer

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #98
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj551 View Post
Ben, what kind of fuel range do we need for ST Fri & Sat? Meaning, do the trails loop back to camp like Peachtree or do we need the whole day's fuel on board?
Sorry, I've been real busy for the last few days and haven't been able to respond.

My Friday and Saturday singletrack rides will definitely require fill-ups at the Trading Post. Even with the fill-ups:

Fridays ride will requires a 115 mile range according to GPS tracks. [EDIT] we can fill up in Pitkin and cut the fuel range down to about 75 miles

Saturday will require 95 miles. If you split off early from Saturday's route (which a few people are planning to) then you will probably only need 50 miles.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 09:57 PM
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #99
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
It's easier, IMHO, if you approach it W->E from Lead King Basin.
that means you will be going up the steps instead of down them. Heading east it's harder to see the punch-bowl that you would fall into if you slid off the trail, so it might be less scary , but I would think that riding down the steps would be easier than up them. I've only ridden it in one direction (heading west) so I don't know what it's like to do it in both directions, but and I was glad I chose the direction that I did.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #100
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
that means you will be going up the steps instead of down them. Heading east it's harder to see the punch-bowl that you would fall into if you slid off the trail, so it might be less scary , but I would think that riding down the steps would be easier than up them. I've only ridden it in one direction (heading west) so I don't know what it's like to do it in both directions, but and I was glad I chose the direction that I did.
I thought he was just going to the punchbowl, which is at the bottom of the steps so no ride up required?
I agree, riding up the steps isn't the easiest.. and don't underestimate the water crossing at the top, it's surprised me a couple of times by it's depth. I suppose that'd depend on time of year tho ...

... or maybe I just don't know where the punchbowl is!
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #101
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
OK...sounds like west will be better. Watching a video of the guy on an 1150GS, he must have been going west as it looked like a decently long, steep downhill...somewhat similar to a long Black Bear...to a small bridge and creek. It looked like the only sketchy spot in a lengthy video. The guy's pucker factor and his slow creep down the hill didn't look like fun on that big bike.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #102
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

I just found a pic of the steps at the punch bowl. If you look down the trail you can see the bridge, which is flat, so it gives you some idea of how steep this section is.

And here's a pic looking up the trail to give you an idea of the size of the rocks.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #103
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I am going to make it happen Ben! I want to do a dirt ride and a DS ride if possible. That means I have to bring the trailer with two bikes and figure out parking. Paul sorta knows my skill set, so I am going to lean on him to see what rides I am capable of....thanks in advance Paul!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #104
TNC
Candyass Camper

Pablo, thanks for those pics. They are excellent and really give the feel for what's there. That's E to W, right? Would you generally describe that section as the toughest part of the route going E to W?

You know...I kind of like the look of the way those rocks are positioned and solidly in the ground as compared to Black Bear. I hate that off camber and marbles on BB right in the vicinity of the right hand bend. The rocks there in your pic of DP look highly embedded and pointed toward the wall. I like that. I don't see any really large ledges either. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm whining and being super critical, but I'm an old man and will probably be riding it by myself.

I've ridden up pretty close to this point from the west before on a KLR650 but didn't go on through...by myself and receiving some strong warnings from some riders meeting me going the opposite way. I know I'll have to make the big loop back around through Marble and Keebler Pass, but no big deal on the distance. Thank you very much for the intel, Pablo.

Anyone hanging around a little after WF who wants to ride the areas further to the west of BV/Taylor let me know.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #105
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
That's E to W, right?
Right.

Quote:
Would you generally describe that section as the toughest part of the route going E to W?
Definitely

Quote:
The rocks there in your pic of DP look highly embedded and pointed toward the wall.
The rocks are very solid. When you ride the trail, it's obvious that this section was dynamited out of one very sold piece of rock and all the rocks on the trail are still firmly attached to the earth.

Quote:
I don't see any really large ledges either.
That's because the camera's not pointed in the right direction. In the first picture there are some very short shrubs about 10 feet to the right of the rider. If you walk to those shrubs and look down you see this:

Quote:
Anyone hanging around a little after WF who wants to ride the areas further to the west of BV/Taylor let me know.
If you ask around enough I bet you'll find a few interested people. I often see posts here on ADV of people who are curious about this pass. Just west of the pass you will get to see Crystal Mill. If you want a little more dirt on the way back, I recommend taking Hagerman Pass. It's very easy.

Crystal Mill:

Pablo83 screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 06:32 PM