User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
motog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Yamaha AG175 vs DT175

I've searched the forum but couldn't find an answer to this question, so figured I'd post.

I'm the proud new owner of a 1979 Yamaha AG175. It's pretty rough but does run and had the overwhelmingly good feature of being really cheap.

Apparently these were mainly sold in Australia for work on farms.

I'll need to buy some parts for it and am intending to put in a parts order soon. In the past, when overhauling my other bikes (Yamaha YB100, Suzuki TC100 and BMW R75/5), I've done bulk parts orders from overseas (US or UK) because Australian suppliers tend to be hideously expensive.

However, the usual places I go to haven't got any parts for this model.

But all is not lost, I've been told that this model is essentially the same as the Yamaha DT175 but with a de-tuned engine and different bodywork. My usual parts suppliers have heaps of parts for 1979 DT175s

Here's my question: Can anyone confirm that the Yamaha AG175 is largely the same as the 1979 DT175?

If so, does anyone know what differences there were other than the panels and lower horsepower?

Here's a photo so you can drool in envy:

Thanks

Jim
motog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by motog View Post
Can anyone confirm that the Yamaha AG175 is largely the same as the 1979 DT175?
No, it's not the same as the 1979 DT. What you have there is the same as the EARLIER, twin-shock DT125 / DT175 that was last sold in 1976. It had many parts interchangeable back to the original AT1 and CT1.

In 1977, they changed the bike to a monoshock frame and I'm pretty sure the engine was mostly new.

Actually: upon further review, the later (1974-1976) 175s look like a different bottom end than the 125. Yours mostly looks like the 125. I know the top-ends were interchangeable since my Dad had one with the 175 cylinder and piston.

The even earlier 1973 DT175 seems to have the right exhaust:

Donkey Hotey screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 11:02 PM
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
motog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
No, it's not the same as the 1979 DT. What you have there is the same as the EARLIER, twin-shock DT125 / DT175 that was last sold in 1976. It had many parts interchangeable back to the original AT1 and CT1.

In 1977, they changed the bike to a monoshock frame and I'm pretty sure the engine was mostly new.

Actually: upon further review, the later (1974-1976) 175s look like a different bottom end than the 125. Yours mostly looks like the 125. I know the top-ends were interchangeable since my Dad had one with the 175 cylinder and piston.

[

The even earlier 1973 DT175 seems to have the right exhaust:
]
Dang, that was quick. I think you're right. In fact, when I searched the earlier models, it also looked a lot like the CT175.

Anybody have any idea on parts interchangeability?

Jim
Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
is there 6 studs holding the cylinder/head or 4? (i'm gonna assume 4) that and a good shot of the left side bottom end (especially near the shifter shaft) will tell you everything. it's probably closest to ct3. i'm assuming the trans ratios are different, but just about everything ct3 should interchange aside from the forks and the tank.. the at/ct/dt twin shockers were all basically the same bottom end. the top end differences are bore and whether it had reeds or not.. that motor could be points or electronic igntion - there's a lot of ignition choices..
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 02:38 AM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
motog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
is there 6 studs holding the cylinder/head or 4? (i'm gonna assume 4) that and a good shot of the left side bottom end (especially near the shifter shaft) will tell you everything. it's probably closest to ct3. i'm assuming the trans ratios are different, but just about everything ct3 should interchange aside from the forks and the tank.. the at/ct/dt twin shockers were all basically the same bottom end. the top end differences are bore and whether it had reeds or not.. that motor could be points or electronic igntion - there's a lot of ignition choices..
I'm picking up the bike on the weekend - it's 150 miles from here right now- so will have the answers to those questions on Sunday. At the moment I'm going on what the bloke who sold it has told me.

So why am I already planning parts orders before I have the bike in my hands? Blame the 'kid before Christmas who knows what he's getting' syndrome.

Thanks for the leads
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
They are still around over here very common farm bikes
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...ch_suggested=5

WR
Whale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
motog OP
Adventurer

So got it home yesterday. Head is held by four studs rather than 6. Haven't got any further photos yet because I dropped it at a mate's garage for storage till I get a few other bikes finished and can start working on it - apparently my wife thinks that 4 motorbikes in the parking space of our apartment is enough for now.

Been having a look through the service manual that says the engine and frame are model 482. Max horsepower of 11.3HP. 5 up gearshift. reed valve. Magneto ignition. Bore and stroke: 66*50mm. Mikuni VM24SH carb. 6V electrics. 6.5:1 compression.

She fired up first kick, the Autolube appears to be working, ran up and down through the gears with no problems (though the clutch did stick a bit when it was cold). It did run pretty rough and will need new tyres, lights, chain and other consumables but given it cost me a total of $200, I'm not going to complain.

Think I'll start by giving it a decent service and tune, replace the consumables, decoke the head and pipe and give it a good clean so I can see what else needs doing.

Of course I also bought another Suzuki TC100 on the weekend to add to the growing stable. Will have to pick it up next weekend. The stable now consists of Yamaha YB100, Yamaha AG175, 2 x Suzuki TC100, BMW R75/5 and Sym VS125 (wife's moped).

Backstory: The collection of small 2 strokes is for a purpose. Each year myself and 3 old schoolmates go for a 5 day ride on a mixture of road and dirt. We're scattered over all of Australia so we usually fly into a city, hire a few BMW R1200Gs bikes and head off into the country side, stopping at country pubs on the way.

This year it's my turn to host but one of my mates is going through a messy divorce and is flat broke. So the plan is that I'll get together a gaggle of cheap 2 strokes, get them back on the road and licensed and we'll head off into the hills for a back to (real) basics dirt biking trip. I have till March 2014 to get 4 bikes together and registered to go on the road. One of the TC100s is a parts bike for the other one, so that leaves me with the AG175 (shouldn't be too much work), the YB100 (almost finished - it's not really a dirt bike but will have to do) and one TC100. That leaves me needing just one more bike although I might pick up a fifth one as a backup. Average purchase price so far is about $240. I'm hoping to get them on the road for no more than about $600-$700 each. After the trip I'll sell off a couple of them to finance the whole thing. Wife has already said that she wants me to keep the YB100 for her.

Should be fun.

Photo fo the new TC100 I bought yesterday here:
Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
motog OP
Adventurer

Almost forgot, there's another Suzuki TS100 waiting in a shed in Gunnedah (hometown of model Miranda Kerr and in the middle of nowher about 1000 miles from here) to be picked up around Christmas time
Old 06-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
They are still made today - sold in New Zealand as the AG100, must be one of the oldest motors still in production. I work in a rural garage and serviced one last week...and replaced the clutch lever which sits inside the left case.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/hotnew...ed-in-tai-tapu

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
keychange
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Mine was identical to your but now nearly ready for next years Scrapheap Adventure... Goes very well for a 39 year old motor.
keychange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
motog OP
Adventurer

Looking good keychange. Give me a few months and I might just be up to that standard.

Short update. I seem to be trying to corner the market on crappy 1970s japanese two strokes. Current inventory is:
  • 1 x Yamaha YB100 (1979)
  • 1 x Suzuki TS100 (1974)
  • 1 x Yamaha AG175 (1979)
  • 4 x Suzuki TC100 (1974)
That's not a typo I seem to have bought 4 Suzuki TC100s. My wife is currently not speaking to me.

On top of that there's a Honda CT110 and a CT90 for parts. On top of that there's still my BMW R75/5 and the wife's scooter.

If you take out the BMW and the scooter, the average purchase price was $115.

I've largely finished the YB - just a few things to do: replace wheel bearings and steering bearings, respoke the wheels (actually CT110 wheels because the original wheels are roached and I couldn't find replacements) and put it all back together.

I'll probably move on to the TCs and TS next. I reckon I should be able to make at least 2 functioning bikes out of 5 roached bikes. With a bit of luck I'll be able to get three.

After that I'll probably move on to the AG175. Now for my question: Does anyone know of a source for spokes for the AG175? The current ones won't get past compliance but I'm struggling to find anyone that sells them at a reasonable price. JTR quoted me $160-$250, which is more than the bike cost

Thanks

Jim
Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
motog OP
Adventurer

A few pictures:

This is the one we call Bambi:

mainly because the previous owner made that seat cover out of the skin of deer he shot and skinned himself. They breed 'em tough in Gunnedah.

I should say that orange is my favourite colour. Here's the (orange) AG175

Followed by a nice couple of (orange) TCs

and another (orange) TC

An (orange) CT

And another (orange) CT after it had been stripped down for parts

This YB is a bit of disappointment to me (not orange enough)

This is what it looks like out the back of the shed
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
motog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motog View Post
A few pictures:

This is the one we call Bambi:

mainly because the previous owner made that seat cover out of the skin of deer he shot and skinned himself. They breed 'em tough in Gunnedah.
Sorry, wrong photo there, that was the AG175.

This is Bambi
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #14
keychange
n00b

Oddometer: 6
My AG175 is signed up for the Scrapheap Adventure and I took it for a good 45kms test run last weekend.

The clutch was slipping initially so I backed of the adjuster on the lever and all good but then there is very little clutch so I can't stop the bike when in gear.

Does this suggest the plates or the adjuster or both .... I am trying to keep my costs down on this one.
keychange is offline   Reply With Quote