User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #31
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,875
my preference is to find someone local to deal with. too many things go can go wrong. something not fitting properly, etc.

don't forget a seal kit ... be sure to install a new filter/drier .. most accurate way to charge refrigerant is by weight. data should be found on vehicle somewhere.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #32
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,503
The way I handled worries about having the right parts and the black death thing was to order everything from one place all at once. The whole complete system barely cracked $500. I did the grunt work of installation since that is basic mindless wrench turning. Then I took it to shop to be vacuum tested, evacuated and charged by guys with the tools and knowledge to do it right. The company I posted for the parts knew everything that would be needed to do the job and sent it to me more or less as a kit.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #33
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,392
That is now my plan Greatdog. Thanks to everyone who posted.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #34
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The way I handled worries about having the right parts and the black death thing was to order everything from one place all at once. The whole complete system barely cracked $500. I did the grunt work of installation since that is basic mindless wrench turning. Then I took it to shop to be vacuum tested, evacuated and charged by guys with the tools and knowledge to do it right. The company I posted for the parts knew everything that would be needed to do the job and sent it to me more or less as a kit.
that's an excellent way to go ... but only after you've confirmed compressor has actually scattered. NO way I'd go to all the trouble of ripping apart dash to replace evaporator. unless I know for certain entire system was contaminated.

most of the time compressor simply locks up and/or quits working. black death doesn't happen every time, but it does happen.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #35
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,679
What do you guys use to flush the system? my system is still opened and will be for couple of days. i'd like to flush it out while its fresh.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #36
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
What do you guys use to flush the system? my system is still opened and will be for couple of days. i'd like to flush it out while its fresh.
You can buy flush kits. http://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-910.../dp/B000HAUXLE
Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #37
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,679
I have a big ass compressor... =) What fluid? Denatured alcohol?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #38
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I have a big ass compressor... =) What fluid? Denatured alcohol?
That would probably work. I've heard of others using it with good results. I recommend getting a manifold set and a vacuum pump. Then you can test for leaks and refill it yourself. Sounds like you like doing things yourself. Look up in a FSM how much the system holds and then figure out how many cans it's going to take. The small cans are 12 oz. The big ones are 19 oz. Vacuum out the system for about an hour to make sure there is no moisture in it. Then let it sit for a minimum of 45 minutes. I went 24 hrs to make sure there was no small leaks. You could then add cans of R134a or get a shop to do it where they will vacuum it for 5 minutes and test it for 30-45 minutes. I was charged around $125 for 2 lbs of R134A. I bought a case of 6 12 oz cans for $40 shipped.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #39
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,503
My issue with just replacing the compressor is that mine was a Jeep not a Toyota. They are known for crap condensers and evaporators. I figured do it once and do it right. I have never had an A/C component go bad on any of our four Toyota trucks. So I might be tempted to only fix what broke on a Tacoma. But a Chrysler is a whole different ballgame.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #40
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,617
My logic is that once you buy the compressor and dryer, you really aren't buying a lot more to get the entire system replaced. If you did end up with crap in the system from the compressor, and that ultimately causes you to have to replace something again, plus get it charged again, you are probably money behind.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #41
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880

Make it happen! Thats how its done when your cheap like me! If you have a sliding rear window much easier and more temporary! All you need is a craigslist 8K BTU window unit [$50-$100], and an inverter for up to 1,000 watts at an auto parts store [$100 or so], or a generator if you have one.

But seriously thats insane! $2,500? I have done the above works great! If in a single cab truck like that it'll blast! Espically before that $! But if your mechinically inclined enough to rebuild a motor, refrigeration systems are extremely simple. WAY simplier than a motor. Easy to work on too.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #42
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Your right ear must get cold as hell driving that.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #43
lowflyer43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Just so you know

As already said, get a new compressor, suction accumulator, and orifice tube. Howerver the last couple of compressors I got did not come with the required compressor oil charge ( as in they were dry ), Ask the parts house to look up the required oil type and amount, measure and pour into compressor suction inlet (large line) and install. If you don't do this you will be right back where you started with a locked up compressor. Also make sure you oil all of the o rings and connections with refrigeration oil, the same as what goes into the compressor, so the o rings will slide and seal instead of binding and rolling, which can tear and cause leaks. Then get someone to evacuate the system and charge it, you should be good to go..
lowflyer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #44
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,056
This place has well priced auto part prices with options for different brand parts.

http://www.partstrain.com/store/??N=...universal:0%29

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #45
Audaciter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstrommer View Post
When my compressor blew up last summer (Tucson - 100+ for weeks at a time), I took the plunge and got a new compressor, drier, filter and evap on ebay and installed them myself. I took it to a shop to be charged. Works like a champ! The parts cost $400 and the servicing was about $80.

This was on a 2001 Toyota Echo. YMMV.

AZ
Did you need any special tools?

My A/C compressor is on it's way out I think, and I like to do my own work where possible, but not knowing much about A/C has me nervous. You have to capture all the refrigerant somehow right? And then you need compressed air or something to clear out the lines before you put everything back together?
Audaciter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: