User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
uk_mouse OP
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Expected Facet pump life?

My Facet 40105 failed this morning. It just clicks once rather than buzzing, and doesn't pump much. Luckily I had a 40104 on the shelf so I swapped them over and am back on the road.

The 40105 has been on my bike for 6 years, probably done 50,000 miles in that time, with some pretty muddy and rough off road use.

Is this a reasonable life time for the Facet? Given the cost, I'm not annoyed about having to replace it, but I'm wondering when to consider replacing it again to avoid being stranded. In 5 years time?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse View Post
My Facet 40105 failed this morning. It just clicks once rather than buzzing, and doesn't pump much. Luckily I had a 40104 on the shelf so I swapped them over and am back on the road.

The 40105 has been on my bike for 6 years, probably done 50,000 miles in that time, with some pretty muddy and rough off road use.

Is this a reasonable life time for the Facet? Given the cost, I'm not annoyed about having to replace it, but I'm wondering when to consider replacing it again to avoid being stranded. In 5 years time?
My first Facet 40171 died after just some 20,000 km but the second has kept working well for over 50,000 km. I bring a spare Facet and a spare clutch slave with me on longer adventures.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Is it me?

What is the point in fitting a Facet?

IME/O if you can break down at any time and you need to carry a spare, why not just carry a spare stock pump. That's what I do.

My original points were bur'nt out (but still working) at 22,000 miles, put in replacement points, now done 37,000 miles, checked them last week and they look like new still.

Just really don't see the point or need of the Facet, far to many failures/running problems to consider it a proper upgrade.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,553
I agree after DrBean's upgrade became available

But back then, the facet was a breakthrough finding by cpmodem. Needs to be accompanied by a filter.
Some historic truth needs to be reminded to the younger inmates.
Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office April 18 to 27
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,384
Points aren't the only known weakness on a stocker either. I'm at about 40k on my Facet, a spare (if I were to carry one) is half the size of stock as well.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsta View Post
My first Facet 40171 died after just some 20,000 km but the second has kept working well for over 50,000 km. I bring a spare Facet and a spare clutch slave with me on longer adventures.
Yeah same here, and trust me, I had to use them a few times...
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
Is it me?

What is the point in fitting a Facet?

IME/O if you can break down at any time and you need to carry a spare, why not just carry a spare stock pump. That's what I do.

My original points were bur'nt out (but still working) at 22,000 miles, put in replacement points, now done 37,000 miles, checked them last week and they look like new still.

Just really don't see the point or need of the Facet, far to many failures/running problems to consider it a proper upgrade.

I'm pretty much on the same page. Two 950's one failure in 60k miles. The failure was my SE with 1100 miles, wasn't the points. Got it changes under warranty (that was a clusterf*ck) and it's been flawless since. I just checked the points a couple weeks ago with 18k miles and they look like new.

Changed the points on the Adv around 35k miles. They were starting to wear crooked so I replaced them.

I've seen a few friends screwing around with the Facet and vacuum pulse pumps and in the end going back to the stocker.

Yup there are issues that may arise but that is pretty much true with any mechanical part/device.

Gefr is correct though,,, the Facet came about back when the points replacement didn't seem to be an option.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
uk_mouse OP
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Fair points, but the Facet is sealed, whereas the stock pump is not.

My original pump died through water ingress, and the Facet was a much cheaper replacement - about half the price of the stock item.