User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
lucky#13 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Las Vegas to LA via San Francisco Trip Planning

I will be in Las Vegas in early October for a wedding. At least one of other attendees and myself would like to rent bikes and drive the PCH from San Francisco down to LA. Once in the LA area the plan would be to take a day and ride some of the roads around the perimeter of the city and then head back to Las Vegas.

Our initial though is to start in Las Vegas and head north to San Francisco (via Yosemite).

Neither of us want to rent a Harley, so the only other option I could find is BMW of Las Vegas. None of the available BMW models interest us, so hopefully they add some additional models . Are there any other rental companies in Vegas?

In order to expand the rental options we are considering a flight from Las Vegas to San Francisco and then a one way rental (if possible) to Vegas.

Anyone have experience with a similar ride or any other related suggestions?
lucky#13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
yankee270
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 15
BMW and Harley are it I think. Eagle Rider is now owned by BMW

Also just check the road going into Yosemite. October is early but that road has serious elevation and gets snow and closes. The ride thru Death Valley is cool. Get creative and don't just take 95 north. There's some good roads around Bishop etc

Also when you get to Santa Margarita think about taking 58 to 106 to 33 into Ventura. Great roads!
yankee270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
lucky#13 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee270 View Post
BMW and Harley are it I think. Eagle Rider is now owned by BMW

Also just check the road going into Yosemite. October is early but that road has serious elevation and gets snow and closes. The ride thru Death Valley is cool. Get creative and don't just take 95 north. There's some good roads around Bishop etc

Also when you get to Santa Margarita think about taking 58 to 106 to 33 into Ventura. Great roads!
Due to the minimum rental period (outside of CA), Racy Rentals may be an option under the right conditions.

I plan to monitor the Yosemite website for road conditions leading up to our departure date.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
October is a good month.I have rented from Las Vegas Bmw before.If you are a tall rider get a r1200gs.Your body will thank you after a 500 mile day.

oldxr screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 03:06 AM Reason: spelling
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
lucky#13 OP
Adventurer

Still planning on the ride in October. Below is a preliminary route we are considering.

http://goo.gl/maps/DY5UR
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
acdfan
day tripper

Oddometer: 126
riding

take a look at 108, it is a great pass over the mountains. also can be closed due to snowfall. heck, if its open do the 108 then camp near yosemite and then the 120. both are epic routes. i think its about 3-4 hours from sonora, ca to san francisco.
bishop ca has erik schats bakery, whoa nellie deli at the turn off to yosemite.
if you have time, the 17 mile drive in monterey(also the monterey aquarium). also on your way back to vegas there is a spot in the mohave wilderness that is free camping. excellent desert views, reminded me of joshua tree np without the people. speaking of which, joshua tree has a great ride from south to north on your way out of LA.
no matter how you ride it there are some great routes there.