ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
iasudoru OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
ADV 1190: excessive heat from the left side of the frame under the seat rear cylinder

Hello.
I wanted to know how many of you have this problem on their 1190.
The heat is particularly noticeable when at low speeds in traffic or when stopped at traffic lights.
And it's even worse when the weather is warm (25 C, 77 F or more).
If any of you feel, leave a post in this tread. Thank you.
iasudoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Youre welcome.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3475
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
iasudoru OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgios View Post
Thank you! :-)
I had seen a few posts that had been talked about, but they are scattered on the forum. This tread is only counting those who have this problem with their 1190.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by iasudoru View Post
Hello.
I wanted to know how many of you have this problem on their 1190.
The heat is particularly noticeable when at low speeds in traffic or when stopped at traffic lights.
And it's even worse when the weather is warm (25 C, 77 F or more).
If any of you feel, leave a post in this tread. Thank you.
ehhehhehehhe, welcome to the club, I must have been the most crying rider about this, since the beginning. Summer arrived in Europe and more people face this problem. I tell you this is something which is impossible to avoid. It gets worse and worse everyday.
:-(((
You can read more on 1190 Adventure thread, it's written there many times.
umitc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Count me in its really bad I will start to look for a really good heat sheld.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
Count me in its really bad I will start to look for a really good heat sheld.
I have wrapped all the exhaust; we have taken all the pipes out and done it using DEI copper wraps. Maybe a little bit positive effect I doubt. Anyway, I don't want to take it out, because if it comes out that it's working well and I decide to put it on later again, it's a long long job.
I have sticked a DEI heat shield, an aluminum hard foil inside sticky fibre, don't know what, it kept the heat on and the seat was like a pan as hot as able to cook eggs on. So I have removed it and sticked a sticky plastic aluminum looking soft material coated sheet from KTM; better than the former. I have tried to use the seat on the higher position, than I have noticed that the flame left the seat through the holes which left between the seat and the frame, so I have lowered the seat back and I feel better.

At the end of the day, our summer has just started, but the seat becomes too hot; an unidentified very heat air raises from the left side through the back of my leg. Once this happen, the seat never returns cooler that's what I know for sure. What I don't know, how KTM didn't want to lean on this problem so far. I listen to the same story from all of the people who has tested the bike. I am sure that they have already knew this in Tenerife and as far as I remember Visordown tester has mentioned this problem.

I love the bike, the ride, the feeling and everything, but I need to find a solution to this.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
I have wrapped all the exhaust; we have taken all the pipes out and done it using DEI copper wraps. Maybe a little bit positive effect I doubt. Anyway, I don't want to take it out, because if it comes out that it's working well and I decide to put it on later again, it's a long long job.
I have sticked a DEI heat shield, an aluminum hard foil inside sticky fibre, don't know what, it kept the heat on and the seat was like a pan as hot as able to cook eggs on. So I have removed it and sticked a sticky plastic aluminum looking soft material coated sheet from KTM; better than the former. I have tried to use the seat on the higher position, than I have noticed that the flame left the seat through the holes which left between the seat and the frame, so I have lowered the seat back and I feel better.

At the end of the day, our summer has just started, but the seat becomes too hot; an unidentified very heat air raises from the left side through the back of my leg. Once this happen, the seat never returns cooler that's what I know for sure. What I don't know, how KTM didn't want to lean on this problem so far. I listen to the same story from all of the people who has tested the bike. I am sure that they have already knew this in Tenerife and as far as I remember Visordown tester has mentioned this problem.

I love the bike, the ride, the feeling and everything, but I need to find a solution to this.
Man I love the bike too but I wish this would have been better. I have test ridden it 3 times before buying it. Did felt the problem because it was cold weather and I was riding it like mad. It still didn't put me off from the bike but I need a solution . Ktm did disappoint me though. Such a good bike , heat and side stand is sad really. Well also petrol spend.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,696
How about trying an adjustable 12 V fan to direct the heat away from you? Add a switch to be turned on when needed (slow traffic or stopped):

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-3-Inch-.../dp/B00144AL6E
'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"

mcmann screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 05:31 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #9
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
How about trying an adjustable 12 V fan to direct the heat away from you?

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-3-Inch-.../dp/B00144AL6E
Well this is an idea as well ;)

By the way just go and look bmw water cooled GS and their problems OMG they are really bad. They got a lot problems. Now I feel like ktm is very good .
Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
How about trying an adjustable 12 V fan to direct the heat away from you?
when i got my 690 it ran pretty hot also, in part i think because it needs to be at a cetain temp to ensure the cat works. Anyway several things i did to lower temps which are probably applicable. KTM has a fan switch that was oem for hot climates that cuts in at a lower temperature. The coolant is probably a 50/50 mix by changing it to 60 distilled water to 40 coolant it achieves better cooling as water has better cooling properties. I ceramic coated the header pipe but wrapping probably similar. The other main issue is bikes tend to be mapped lean for emissions and by fattening the fueling it brings down temps, but obviously that is tricky to get done correctly.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

If you have found 690 hot, don't even sit down on the 1190 :-)))) I have owned both 690 enduro and duke and none of them was disturbing hot as 1190. :-)))
Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Blokkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Same problem here, noticed it at the first ride and now temperatures are rising it becomes a irritating thing.

I also had a scorch on my new gear below the right leg from the exhaust.

I think/hope it's a matter of time before KTM will make modifications for both the problems.

Rest of the bike is fine, after several BMW's (GS/A) it gives riding a whole new dimension

Blokkie
Blokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,698
I had similar issues with the 990.

I had the pipes ceramic coated inside and out, there are difference types of coatings, mine was the one that provided the most amount of heat insulation.

That has made a huge difference in the amount of heat being felt off the pipes. Also aftermarket exhaust if an option does a great deal to remove the heat signature as well.

I WOULD NOT wrap the pipes because KTM uses a very thin metal for their headers and they are extremely susceptible to crystalline fractures that result from being wrapped, in essence they cook themselves apart due to the excess heat retained from the wraps.

A good read about this very problem:

http://www.centuryperformance.com/ex...o-not-use.html
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Krap To Maintain

Oddometer: 191
Mate of mine has a 1199 pinagali Ducati and he says they had the same problem and Ducati made a carbon shield and sent it free of charge to all its owners. I have not noticed it on my one as it is winter here now and all my attention is focused on dodging obstacles in my path at high speed Im sure when the bikes get to the USA they might have a fix for it

14 BMW GS 1200 LC
13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
iasudoru OP
Adventurer

Thanks for writing. Expect more contributions from other users.
KTM has not yet prepared a solution to the problem here in europe. Someone wrote that it is preparing but it is not a sure thing.