Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,498
Great idea . . . buy a couple large Black Plastic/Polyethylene Cutting Boards . . . Cut to fit the frame and zip tie it on . . . . Polyethylene can take high heat . . . Used in cutting boards because they are dish washer safe (very hot dry cycles).

I went ahead and added Polyethylene inserts on my '07 SM to reduce the heat off my legs . . Works great. I do not have heat issues with my Seat Concepts seat . . . Very thick/dense foam (great insulation):

Plan B: buy Kevlar Dakar Pants:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...kar-Pants.aspx

2011/2014 DL650A for the "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 07:30 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
This was how 990 was like; the tanks was covering the heat from coming out; maybe that's why it boils the gas in the tank during summer. So what we need is to direct heat outside somehow; if it stays inside, it's still a problem. I got fed up struggling with finding out a way to avoid heat. We are thinking about it whereas KTM should.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #33
iasudoru OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
This was how 990 was like; the tanks was covering the heat from coming out; maybe that's why it boils the gas in the tank during summer. So what we need is to direct heat outside somehow; if it stays inside, it's still a problem. I got fed up struggling with finding out a way to avoid heat. We are thinking about it whereas KTM should.
Also I thought I'd close the gaps of the frame, but keep the heat in that place is a risk. This could damage the electronic components that are under the seat.
iasudoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #34
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,755
Misconceptions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
KTM has a fan switch that was oem for hot climates that cuts in at a lower temperature. The coolant is probably a 50/50 mix by changing it to 60 distilled water to 40 coolant it achieves better cooling as water has better cooling properties. I ceramic coated the header pipe but wrapping probably similar. The other main issue is bikes tend to be mapped lean for emissions and by fattening the fueling it brings down temps, but obviously that is tricky to get done correctly.
Some missconceptions here: water does not have better cooling properties than coolant. This is the reason we buy coolant instead of distilled water.
Bikes are not mapped lean, since this can be dangerous. In order to be on the safe side, they tend to be tuned richer.
umitc ,
did you replace OEM exhausts? I think you should start there.

mcmann ,
I do not have heat issues with my Seat Concepts seat . . . Very dense foam (great insulation)
The denser the foam the more heat it transfers. It could be the material properties that help.

Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #35
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes Gefr I got Akrapovic; you know thisvtime Akra has no removable db killers so I guess that the outflow is not very much better than the oe muffler
Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #36
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Some missconceptions here: water does not have better cooling properties than coolant. This is the reason we buy coolant instead of distilled water.
Bikes are not mapped lean, since this can be dangerous. In order to be on the safe side, they tend to be tuned richer.

nope. The glycol is used to raise the boiling point , increase viscosity , inhibit corosion and provide freeze protection but straight water conducts heat better. Lowering the percentage results in better cooling while still maintaining the necessary benefits of glycol
From a manufacturer, but google it and the sources and documentation are endless, both anecdotal and scientific:

"Interestingly, pure water actually transfers heat better than coolant (that's why you see straight water used in the radiators of some types of racecars). However, coolant/antifreeze includes additional additives that prevent rust and corrosion in the radiator, engine and the vehicle's heater."
http://www.valvoline.com/car-care/au.../dsm20041101ic

re mapping, at some points in rpm range such as high rpm it goes to a rich condition for protection but at other points it's right on the cutting edge .Do you remember the ktm singles that came from the factory barely able to run and that were ridiculously hot? Yes that was lean jetting employed to pass government tests
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #37
iasudoru OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
mcmann ,
I do not have heat issues with my Seat Concepts seat . . . Very dense foam (great insulation)
The denser the foam the more heat it transfers. It could be the material properties that help.

Cheers.
The bike has cost 15,000 Euros. It should not be my problem, improve the insulation of the saddle. It should not be the question of who buys a motorcycle from 15,000 Euros ....
Old 06-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #38
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasudoru View Post
The bike has cost 15,000 Euros. It should not be my problem, improve the insulation of the saddle. It should not be the question of who buys a motorcycle from 15,000 Euros ....
What should I say, here it's 22K Euros and still we are spending on it and itching our head to find a solution..
Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #39
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Quote:
Also I thought I'd close the gaps of the frame, but keep the heat in that place is a risk. This could damage the electronic components that are under the seat.

The rear shock area under the seat is open (not enclosed) to allow good ventilation . . . This idea should reduce heat off your inner thighs and legs etc:

Old 06-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #40
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

I will try it
Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #41
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
This week I will try some solutions too .
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #42
iasudoru OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
The rear shock area under the seat is open (not enclosed) to allow good ventilation . . . This idea should reduce heat off your inner thighs and legs etc:
Hi.
I had thought about a solution like yours. But the temperature in that area would increase. If you were to damage some components may not exercise the warranty. It is not an official solution of the KTM. The costs of repairs would be all yours.
Is risky. We can not take responsibility for a change
Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #43
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
nope. The glycol is used to raise the boiling point , increase viscosity , inhibit corosion and provide freeze protection but straight water conducts heat better. Lowering the percentage results in better cooling while still maintaining the necessary benefits of glycol
From a manufacturer, but google it and the sources and documentation are endless, both anecdotal and scientific:

"Interestingly, pure water actually transfers heat better than coolant (that's why you see straight water used in the radiators of some types of racecars). However, coolant/antifreeze includes additional additives that prevent rust and corrosion in the radiator, engine and the vehicle's heater."
http://www.valvoline.com/car-care/au.../dsm20041101ic

re mapping, at some points in rpm range such as high rpm it goes to a rich condition for protection but at other points it's right on the cutting edge .Do you remember the ktm singles that came from the factory barely able to run and that were ridiculously hot? Yes that was lean jetting employed to pass government tests
+1 on both points

Heat capacity of pure glycol (at STP): 2.47 J / g / C
Heat capacity of pure water (at STP): 4.18
J / g / C

So, water has almost twice the heat capacity of glycol.

Most bikes are jetted very lean from the factory which makes them run rough and hot (and surge at low speeds) but keeps the cats happy. Great thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749080

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #44
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Quote:
Hi.
I had thought about a solution like yours. But the temperature in that area would increase. If you were to damage some components may not exercise the warranty. It is not an official solution of the KTM. The costs of repairs would be all yours.
For comparison below (990A/1190A): 1190 will still have better ventilation.

I doubt KTM will acknowledge a heat problem. Plan B (heat resistant pants if you are concerned). The engine is liquid cooled . . . Not air cooled.

Viajaendl had a great idea which works for me in 90 degree Atlanta weather on my SM.

mcmann screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 05:02 AM
Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #45
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi.
I am sure that, one will remember to take them out before taking the bike the dealer. :-)))))