I'm 6'8", 275 lbs and am comfortable in the '13 wrx, provided its the wagon
In the back seat as well?

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
There's a '13 "tangerine" colored WRX at a Subaru dealer near me.

Fortunately, almost every other color and configuration is available nearby, too. I've taken test drives at two dealers, and won't go back unless to pull the trigger.

I'm no kid...late 50's...but I still appreciate a good drive.

The only other car that sparked my passion is the Mustang. I've test driven both the GT and the V-6 in manual form, and both are great...the GT greater.

But the practicality of a hatchback is hard to beat.

Will the turbo motor stand up to 115 degrees F?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loboe View Post

Fortunately, almost every other color and configuration is available nearby, too. I've taken test drives at two dealers, and won't go back unless to pull the trigger.

The only other car that sparked my passion is the Mustang. I've test driven both the GT and the V-6 in manual form, and both are great...the GT greater.

Ask to take out a WRX STi...
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
E-man OP
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,291
We looked at some Subies yesterday, again. Took out a '14 Forester for a ride and it's nice, but that it. It's just a decent family ride. They had a '13 WRX in dark gray, my fav. color but it was the hatch and E-Wife does NOT want a hatch It had the factory exhaust option and sounded great.
Original reason for post was the 2 used black sedans at $27,400. Seems a tad high. Oh well, its time for E-wife and I to talk.
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Initially, I liked the sedan version best. But I think I'm OK with either model, really. The only thing scaring me off a bit has been turbo charger durability here in hot and getting hotter Phoenix.

Still want to look at a Golf R more closely. Not as fast as the Subaru, maybe, but nicer inside. Of course, it is turbocharged, as well.

Looked on a WRX forum and someone there recommended some kind of kit to help eliminate the "heat sink" on the WRX. Concerns there were more about hotter climates making turbocharging less efficient and powerful, not so much about durability. Beginning to notice a lot of older WRX's on the road here, which is inspiring more confidence. Maybe I'll get me one. Maybe not. There aren't that many alternatives in that class.

Juan Loboe screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 08:40 AM
Juan Loboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 7,040
Quote:
Initially, I liked the sedan version best. But I think I'm OK with either model, really. The only thing scaring me off a bit has been turbo charger durability here in hot and getting hotter Phoenix.

Still want to look at a Golf R more closely. Not as fast as the Subaru, maybe, but nicer inside. Of course, it is turbocharged, as well.

Looked on a WRX forum and someone there recommended some kind of kit to help eliminate the "heat sink" on the WRX. Concerns there were more about hotter climates making turbocharging less efficient and powerful, not so much about durability. Beginning to notice a lot of older WRX's on the road here, which is inspiring more confidence. Maybe I'll get me one. Maybe not. There aren't that many alternatives in that class.
I test drove a Golf R and felt meh about it, especially seeing the sticker.

Really, it did nothing for me.

I have yet to drive a WRX, but after 3 Imprezas, I have to say I love the handling and comfort. A WRX would just be the cherry on top.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
In the back seat as well?

Nope. Only a kid or small adult would be able to fit behind me while in the drivers seat.

If you're looking for wrx alternative, check out the Mazdaspeed3... Things a hoot to drive.
Tallbastid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Nope. Only a kid or small adult would be able to fit behind me while in the drivers seat.

If you're looking for wrx alternative, check out the Mazdaspeed3... Things a hoot to drive.
Better back seat?

I wish they'd just offer the Outback with a turbo again, the new generation has a decent sized rear seat and I love the stage 1 tune on my 05 OBXT. It's a little sad that I can comfortably fit in the back seat of a Honda Fit but not in my seemingly twice as large Outback .

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Better back seat?

I wish they'd just offer the Outback with a turbo again, the new generation has a decent sized rear seat and I love the stage 1 tune on my 05 OBXT. It's a little sad that I can comfortably fit in the back seat of a Honda Fit but not in my seemingly twice as large Outback .
Subaru is making some dumb choices these days.

On the way home tonight, I passed a Legacy with leather and manual. It may have been a GT. The owner had full exhaust, suspension and wheels.

I want a damn Legacy with 6 speed and leather!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #25
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,291
Quote:

I had an 08 WRX STI hatchback for a few years, fun car but not the best quality interior. If they made the sedans in 08 I would probably still have it. Never had one problem with the car, held up to the summers here just fine.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
I had an 08 WRX STI hatchback for a few years, fun car but not the best quality interior. If they made the sedans in 08 I would probably still have it. Never had one problem with the car, held up to the summers here just fine.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

I could probably live with the cheap interior, as long as it is relatively durable.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,008
Quote:
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

I could probably live with the cheap interior, as long as it is relatively durable.
I have a 2009 WRX Premium hatch with 70,000 miles. The #1 thing I didn't like was the interior fabric so I installed a Katzkin leather kit.

Added a Cobb "street" down pipe, SPT exhaust and tune. It was 256 whip on my tuners conservative Dino, up about 50 from stock without any real mpg hit.

The best change I've made was Koni shocks with the stock springs. We have rough roads here (one reason I didn't buy an STzi) and this combo gives a comfortable but very well controlled ride.

Currently running on the older STI forged BBS alloys. 15.5 lbs. Conti DWS tires are great all-around.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 03:21 AM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #28
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I have a 2009 WRX Premium hatch with 70,000 miles. The #1 thing I didn't like was the interior fabric so I installed a Katzkin leather kit.
Those seats look great! I just looked online. Pricy!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #29
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,617
It sucks that you can never find these cars used that haven't been fucked with. Every single ad I've ever seen for one has a 15+ item list of stuff that's been modified.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #30
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
It sucks that you can never find these cars used that haven't been fucked with. Every single ad I've ever seen for one has a 15+ item list of stuff that's been modified.
I would never buy an STI used, some people constantly run these at redline. Not sure if you can get the Subaru dealer to print out an over-rev report (like Porsche dealers).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: