User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
ducatidoc OP
Talon-ted Snake Charmer

Oddometer: 2,782
Washing Machines?

Main bearing on my ca. 2000 Maytag hi-efficiency washing machine gave up the ghost, repair guy says $ 400 + labor, ie, a new washer.

Which reminds me I don't know shit about washing machines.

This one was left behind when the ex moved out, and she used it practically every day. I may wash clothes once a month, when I run out of socks or undies.

Anybody got any experience? Would like to keep it under $ 800

I'm liberal. I laugh at nothing ! - bongodave
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,910
You can't buy a good, high-efficiency washing machine for $400. I spent $1600 on my set ten years ago and they haven't needed a single replacement part. The washer drum suspension is starting to squeak a bit, though. The best part is that both units run on 220 (the washer plugs into the dryer), and the washer heats its own water to a precise temperature (in steps from 85 to 210), not just some nebulous "warm", so clothing lasts longer.

If the washer does a good job, I'd fix it rather than buy a crappy machine that only looks cheaper on paper. You'll have to live with the results for a long time and I like not feeling compelled to cuss my laundering equipment.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,964
Just bought a new set of Whirlpools last week. I don't know the exact model but they have the steam features and the washer is 4.3 cubic feet. Paid $19xx for the set while they were on sale- I think they're normally at least $2200 or more. (I hate the sales games that all the places play with appliances- it pays to pay attention for a month before you buy). My only criteria was that I wanted a washer with large capacity and steam. (I do dirty work for a living and want the hottest water possible to clean my work clothes).

Anyways- I'm pretty damn impressed with the washer so far- the thing even has a light in it so you can see what you're doing. It's pretty quiet while doing it's thing and the wife gets a kick out of the pleasant tones it makes when it turns on and off and when a cycle ends.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
ducatidoc OP
Talon-ted Snake Charmer

Oddometer: 2,782
I don't need a set, just the washer. I have a pretty good gas dryer. So I figured $800 for just a washer, I would be able to get something decent ?

I'm liberal. I laugh at nothing ! - bongodave
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,073
My method was to go to the local, independent appliance store that has a service department, bypass the salesperson out front, and talk to one of the techs who works on them. As a result, we've had a Fisher & Paykel for probably going on 6-7 years that has needed nothing and does a great job on the clothes. I'd definitely choose one with a hanging basket vs the old tub-on-transmission style.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
My method was to go to the local, independent appliance store that has a service department, bypass the salesperson out front, and talk to one of the techs who works on them. As a result, we've had a Fisher & Paykel for probably going on 6-7 years that has needed nothing and does a great job on the clothes. I'd definitely choose one with a hanging basket vs the old tub-on-transmission style.
Hanging basket as in front loader?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidoc View Post
I don't need a set, just the washer. I have a pretty good gas dryer. So I figured $800 for just a washer, I would be able to get something decent ?
absolutely.. you can pick up a decent front loader, on sale, at Sears/HD/Lowes for $600. You just have to bide your time and wait for the right sale... unfortunately, you just missed the big Memorial Day sale.. where I got over 50% off a Whirlpool.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
absolutely.. you can pick up a decent front loader, on sale, at Sears/HD/Lowes for $600. You just have to bide your time and wait for the right sale... unfortunately, you just missed the big Memorial Day sale.. where I got over 50% off a Whirlpool.
And it can fail in very short order. There's a reason we've been expanding and pulling in a lot of whirlpool/maytag sales. They're building junk. Pretty junk though and consumers are getting sucked in to features they don't need.

This will most likely out live you.

I have a Speed Queen front loader. It's got about 9000 hours on it last I checked (it was a life test machine I salvaged).

You'd be surprised how easy it is to replace the bearings (look up the cost first). Parts are readily available online and you can most repairs with a basic tool set.
papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
2speed
Puching adventurer

Oddometer: 834
I picked up a piece of shit $250 washer at Home Depot. It was on sale, brand new. 3 years later and about 3 loads a week, I haven't done a single thing to it.

If you're handy you find the parts online cheap and fix it yourself. I fixed my dryer for about $25 for solenoids when that went, after a bit of research on the innerwebs.

Spending $2k on washer and dryers is insane.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Had a old sears washer (bought it used $50) used for about 12 yrs and no problem but wifie wanted a newer one and sis in law had just bought a new set and gave us her sears used 4yr old one, new style, fancy buttons many settings and the fckng machine broke in less than two years replaced the parts(myself) and not soon enough the fckng machine started leaking- Newer machines are made in china, and most of them are crap.
I ain't spending my money in new crap, always look for older models now.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
And it can fail in very short order. There's a reason we've been expanding and pulling in a lot of whirlpool/maytag sales. They're building junk. Pretty junk though and consumers are getting sucked in to features they don't need.

This will most likely out live you.

I have a Speed Queen front loader. It's got about 9000 hours on it last I checked (it was a life test machine I salvaged).

You'd be surprised how easy it is to replace the bearings (look up the cost first). Parts are readily available online and you can most repairs with a basic tool set.
pretty sure for the one load a week I do it will get the job done, and top loaders are a no go for the Goretex stuff I wash.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,162
I bought my wife a Samsung HE toploader. about 2 years ago, she uses the crap out of the poor thing, runs great and is almost too quite.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,222
Quote:
pretty sure for the one load a week I do it will get the job done, and top loaders are a no go for the Goretex stuff I wash.
what're the recommendations wrt gore?

My SO keeps complaining about how "rough" our washer is on the goods.

To me it's a big whatever. But the other day I broke out in hives, and the best guess we could muster was that the rinse cycle didn't do a good enough job rinsing off the detergents. Boy she picked up on that cue like a circling vulture. Need a better rinse cycle?! Let's get a new washer!!!

She's just pissed because we left her stacking front loaders in her apartment when she moved in with me.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
She's just pissed because we left her stacking front loaders in her apartment when she moved in with me.
Have you priced those? You should have sold them at least, rather than leave them behind.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If that's all the laundry you generate, just drop it off somewhere and have it done. No equipment or materials to mess with and you pick up a couple of hours of free time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: