Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
This will most likely out live you.
A lot of good it will do you when you're dead that your washer is still in great shape.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Boy she picked up on that cue like a circling vulture. Need a better rinse cycle?! Let's get a new washer!!!
Good luck with that(thank the EPA)

Nothing will rinse as good as an old water pig top loader.

If you only have one load a week, why not just go to a laundrymat?
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy the cheapest one you possible can. It will last pretty much forever and if anything does fail down the road it will most likely be a 3 dollar coupler and not a $500 "control" board.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
If that's all the laundry you generate, just drop it off somewhere and have it done. No equipment or materials to mess with and you pick up a couple of hours of free time.
ummmmm .... shit
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
we've had a Fisher & Paykel for probably going on 6-7 years that has needed nothing and does a great job on the clothes.
Similar experience, ours is going strong. The prices sure have gone up though. Bought mine for $450, now they go for $700+.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #21
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Have you priced those? You should have sold them at least, rather than leave them behind.
Oh no, technically we still have them. We just rent out her old space. She'd have made me take them with us, but they're stacking, and our space lends itself to side-by-side more than it does stacking. I convinced her that it'd be more worth her while to leave it, vs. adapting it & buying another for that space. Apparently that just bought me time before she'd draw the line on using an old, low-efficiency unit that employs a panty-ripping agitator (what's the problem??). I dunno what mine is, but it lasts forever. I've never had a washer crap out in a way that I couldn't figure out and fix myself. So I know eventually we'll just sell it cheap to someone and satisfy her itch just for the hell of it.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
You'd be surprised how easy it is to replace the bearings (look up the cost first). Parts are readily available online and you can most repairs with a basic tool set.
i just replaced my front loader- 11 years old, no problems, until sudden catastrophic failure. took it apart first to see about replacing the bearings. looked easy enough online.

turned out i was going to replace the washer anyway (spider was also broken), but i figured i'd see about the bearings anyway, in case i needed to do it in the future. those mofos weren't coming out, even with a 3 pound sledge and a hardened punch...
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #23
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
Hanging basket as in front loader?
No. Front loaders are completely different (and typically more expensive).

Traditional washers have a drum that sits on top of a transmission unit and spins. Hanging ones have a basket that is supported, taking the heavy load off the transmission and thus not wearing it out prematurely. Our F&P actually senses the load and compensates for it not being balanced, so no banging from an unbalanced load during the spin cycle. It makes lots of weird noises (they warned us about that when we bought it) as it levels or whatever, but it works a treat. They reportedly use far less water than cheaper brands, but I have well water so can't tell any difference.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #24
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
If you are going to throw the machine away, why not take it apart and try and fix it?

Repairclinic.com is a great resource.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #25
ducatidoc OP
Talon-ted Snake Charmer

Oddometer: 2,672
Mostly because the part was going to run $ 385, I guess. That and the fact that I don't have the time, and more importantly, the skills.

I'm liberal. I laugh at nothing ! - bongodave
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #26
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidoc View Post
Mostly because the part was going to run $ 385, I guess. That and the fact that I don't have the time, and more importantly, the skills.
All the more reason to buy a cheap top loader. Cheap parts (if they are ever needed) and easy as shit to work on.

Oh, if it goes tits up in ten years you're only out $250 bucks. to replace the whole damn thing.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
If you don't do laundry a lot, ie are single or a couple, it is so much cheaper to go to the local 'mat. Find a good one and save a minimum of 30% over your own. Mine is a nice place, with a patio, cafe, DVD player/screen, and for those so needing it, a bar next door. I put clothes in, run an errand, come back, start the dryer, finish another errand I'd have done any way. No less than time or trouble than doing it at home. I carry all the laundry in an air force parachute bag that crams between my feet on a scooter.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
Doloe2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
If you go the repair route, I'd suggest getting a guesstimate on the labor.
The bearing on ours went out under warranty. Two guys spent 2+ hours on the repair.
Doloe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #29
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
If you don't do laundry a lot, ie are single or a couple, it is so much cheaper to go to the local 'mat. Find a good one and save a minimum of 30% over your own. Mine is a nice place, with a patio, cafe, DVD player/screen, and for those so needing it, a bar next door. I put clothes in, run an errand, come back, start the dryer, finish another errand I'd have done any way. No less than time or trouble than doing it at home. I carry all the laundry in an air force parachute bag that crams between my feet on a scooter.
That definitely scores high on the affordability scale, but pretty low on the convenience scale. It's not only a purchase decision...it's a lifestyle decision. I have to agree with cablebandit; I think at the crossroads between affordability and convenience--depending on the time horizon--is a cheap lasts-forever top-loader.

Too bad my SO doesn't live in that universe.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
All the more reason to buy a cheap top loader. Cheap parts (if they are ever needed) and easy as shit to work on.

Oh, if it goes tits up in ten years you're only out $250 bucks. to replace the whole damn thing.
a front loader can be just about as cheap. the one i bought (samsung something or other) is 'normally' priced (not that there's such a thing as normal price on appliances given the frequent sales- more like sucker priced) at $800. I bought it at a memorial day sale for $580 - $50 instant rebate - $200 water bill credit (the latter two being available only for high efficiency machines, so pushes you towards front loaders) -> effective price of $330. that combined with the water savings over the 10-15 years this thing will probably last...
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: