Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
Had a old sears washer (bought it used $50) used for about 12 yrs and no problem but wifie wanted a newer one and sis in law had just bought a new set and gave us her sears used 4yr old one, new style, fancy buttons many settings and the fckng machine broke in less than two years replaced the parts(myself) and not soon enough the fckng machine started leaking- Newer machines are made in china, and most of them are crap.
I ain't spending my money in new crap, always look for older models now.
Can't speak to the new ones, but my 25 year old Whirlpool dryer has needed the heating element replaced once. Period. The washer that I got with it had the transmission go out a few years ago, so I replaced it with some ancient, ugly thing from the 60s or 70s that I got on craigslist for $10.00. Hasn't hiccuped once. I have a feeling that I won't ever bother with new crap - especially if you have to pay upwards of $2K to get one that isn't a piece of shit.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #32
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Repair costs can mount up quickly on home appliances, whirlpool washer gave up the ghost last year, stripped gear, could be fixed but the price $500 didn't pencil out
We have several appliance dealers that advertise on radio/tv best prices free same day delivery. Got on line picked the model closest to the one I had 4 hours and $800 dollars I had a new washer with old one hauled away
Good hunting
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #33
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
a front loader can be just about as cheap. the one i bought (samsung something or other) is 'normally' priced (not that there's such a thing as normal price on appliances given the frequent sales- more like sucker priced) at $800. I bought it at a memorial day sale for $580 - $50 instant rebate - $200 water bill credit (the latter two being available only for high efficiency machines, so pushes you towards front loaders) -> effective price of $330. that combined with the water savings over the 10-15 years this thing will probably last...

No welfare water bill credits here.

Plus here water is damn near free to begin with.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #34
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
If you don't do laundry a lot, ie are single or a couple, it is so much cheaper to go to the local 'mat. Find a good one and save a minimum of 30% over your own. Mine is a nice place, with a patio, cafe, DVD player/screen, and for those so needing it, a bar next door. I put clothes in, run an errand, come back, start the dryer, finish another errand I'd have done any way. No less than time or trouble than doing it at home. I carry all the laundry in an air force parachute bag that crams between my feet on a scooter.
The math didn't pencil out for me. I was spending $7 per week at the apartment laundry, so when I moved into a house, spending $1600 on a set was a no-brainer, with a sub-5-year payoff and the convenience of doing laundry whenever I needed. Now, with my wife in one state and me in another, I'm back in the laundromat.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #35
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,039
The laundromat seems to make sense with 1 person, after 2 people I am sure it is cheaper with a home machine. It works convenience wise for me, but I can see how for others it might not; long drive, can only do laundry at off hours, etc. As far as being cheaper resource wise it is also a good idea. When I lived in a 16 unit apartment building, 4 per floor, we tried to have 1 vacuum cleaner per floor. That can cut down on a lot of unnecessary purchases.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
The laundromat seems to make sense with 1 person, after 2 people I am sure it is cheaper with a home machine. It works convenience wise for me, but I can see how for others it might not; long drive, can only do laundry at off hours, etc. As far as being cheaper resource wise it is also a good idea. When I lived in a 16 unit apartment building, 4 per floor, we tried to have 1 vacuum cleaner per floor. That can cut down on a lot of unnecessary purchases.
I was single and the math still worked in my case, but we're all different. I'm glad you and your neighbors were able to work out common purchases. I'd be afraid someone would vacuum out a litterbox with a common unit, then not clean it out.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #37
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
Had a old sears washer (bought it used $50) used for about 12 yrs and no problem but wifie wanted a newer one and sis in law had just bought a new set and gave us her sears used 4yr old one, new style, fancy buttons many settings and the fckng machine broke in less than two years replaced the parts(myself) and not soon enough the fckng machine started leaking- Newer machines are made in china, and most of them are crap.
I ain't spending my money in new crap, always look for older models now.
We are still using Sears Kenmore machines that I bought in the late 80's. It is funny that machines seem to be going back to the old turning knob style, which is what we have from a real old set of machines.

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #38
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,143
I'm done with High Efficiency bullcrap, and front-loaders as well.

Give me a fucking agitator, a top load door, and the simplicity that got teenage boys' and mans' clothes far cleaner any day of the week.

These HE front loaders are for older women's skirts. I got a new Bosch with my place, and I hate it. When it dies I'm going to find a scratch-and-dent outlet, head there and buy some inexpensive washing machine (due to cosmetic blemishes) that will be fine for years to come just like I have twice prior.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #39
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm done with High Efficiency bullcrap, and front-loaders as well.

Give me a fucking agitator, a top load door, and the simplicity that got teenage boys' and mans' clothes far cleaner any day of the week.
You'e doing it wrong. My front loader does a far better job than any toploader ever did, and with 1/3 the water. And there's nothing simple about an agitator transmission.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #40
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

These HE front loaders are for older women's skirts. I got a new Bosch with my place, and I hate it. When it dies I'm going to find a scratch-and-dent outlet, head there and buy some inexpensive washing machine (due to cosmetic blemishes) that will be fine for years to come just like I have twice prior.

Top loaders do a fine job cleaning. Many reviews say a better job than top loaders, with less wear,, so I'm not sure your complaint on that front is valid.

Why do you hate the one you have? I don't think I could muster up that much emotion for a washing machine, but hey, whatever you're into... :-)
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #41
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,367
If you're still looking I have one word for you-----Scratch and Dent!!!!!!!

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #42
rockice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
We had to replace about a year ago... Went to 4-5 places... They all said it doesn't matter how much you spend all of them have a planned lifespan of about 10 years! Mostly because few consumers stay in one place much longer than that.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #43
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidoc View Post
Mostly because the part was going to run $ 385, I guess. That and the fact that I don't have the time, and more importantly, the skills.
Prices for replacement parts vary widely, the repair clinic site is nice to help get a fair baseline price. I bet that price is significantly lower than what the repair guy quoted. Then take the MFGR part numbers from there and search the internet, usually you can find the parts for half if not less. That $385 part could possibly be had for less than $100 with a little Internet searching.

The skills are not too high, usually if you have a few screw drivers and nut drivers, you are good to go. YouTube is full of how to videos, or repair clinic sells repair manuals for $15.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #44
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
If you're gonna get a new one and don't need all the bells and whistles then look for a speed queen dealer because i got my top loader and big ass gas dyrer for 1300 and these should last 15 years plus.

When i was renting i did the laundry mat/hallway units and hated hated hated it because it was such a major pain havubg ti go there or getting a turn in the hallway ones. My washer and dryer was my first purchase moving in and i can do my laundry whenever i want to and i love it.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #45
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,252
I agree with the below comment..

That $385 is probably hogwash. There are appliance forums just like ADV. Do a little searching, I bet 20 guys have already posted about that bearing, it's part number, and where to get it. Washers are simple stupid to fix. Get the bearing, spend a couple of hours (shouldn't take too long) to replace the bearing and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Prices for replacement parts vary widely, the repair clinic site is nice to help get a fair baseline price. I bet that price is significantly lower than what the repair guy quoted. Then take the MFGR part numbers from there and search the internet, usually you can find the parts for half if not less. That $385 part could possibly be had for less than $100 with a little Internet searching.

The skills are not too high, usually if you have a few screw drivers and nut drivers, you are good to go. YouTube is full of how to videos, or repair clinic sells repair manuals for $15.
SR1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: