Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
slicecity OP
10K USA 2013

Oddometer: 12
First Tour: 10,000 miles around the USA in 2 months.

Leaving my girlfriend's driveway in Austin on June 23, 2013.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...k-walmart.html
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I am featured in the New York Times this week. I slept in the Walmart parking lot in flagstaff on the second to last night of my trip and was photographed for a photo essay called "Paradise, Paved" about Walmart campers.

Disclaimer: The layout of this ride report is a work in progress. I am mostly posting from an iPhone, so please be patient while I slowly streamline everything.

Notes:

My girlfriend is with riding with me for a few days. We could use a host tonight (Friday, August 2nd) in Seattle and Monday, August 5th in Portland. If you would like to host us, please PM me :)

I could use a garage/tools/mechanical assistance in the PNW/CA area this week between the 3rd-10th. I'm getting a clunking noise on acceleration from the rear end. I think a rear brake piston is sticking or my rear shock is shot. The muffler is scraping the swing arm and it feels a bit bouncy.
Could also be a stiff chain link, but I can't find out until I can get in there. Let me know if you can help!
Saturday, August 3: Seattle/Sequim
Sunday, August 4: Sequim/Port Townsend/Olympia
Monday, August 5: Olympia/Portland
Tuesday, August 6: Portland/Coos Bay/Oregon Coast
Wednesday, August 7: OR/CA Coast, SF
Thursday, August 8-Saturday August 10: SF

Also, I'm looking for a seat cushion to borrow until August 20ish, I'll mail it back to you. Promise!

Hi, my name is Caleb. Im a special ed TA in Austin. Ill hit 6,000 trip miles today on my 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S. Im writing this from a rest stop west of Buffalo, WY, where I just took my first nap of the summer. I have been trying to get around to starting this report since before I left on June 26. Last night I wrote a long jumbled intro in my hammock as I was sneaky camping in Keyhole State Park, Wyoming and accidentally pasted over it and lost it :/ I had just dropped my bike a third time in a third campsite and over strained my back from picking it up. It was also very cold and I had no beer, in addition to the back pain and frustration of forgetting to set the stand on a solid surface. Losing the initial report I had spent 30 minutes writing sucked!

Here's a bit just to finally get this thread started and meet other riders along the way. I'm headed to Bozeman tonight and will ride Yellowstone tomorrow. Then head to Seattle. My girlfriend will join me there for a few days and fly out of Portland. Ill head down the coast and ride east with my friend Jesse in SF who is just about to get licensed (yikes!). Well go through Yosemite, Chaco cultural center, Zion, Death Valley etc and ill arrive back in Austin around the 18th of August. Ill retroactively update the first half of the trip as I go and when I return. Will try to update daily. So far, I've been posting everything on Instagram and Facebook. Ill migrate those photos here. IG name is acehitz. PM for FB. You can search both for the trip hashtag I created, #10kmcxusa2013.
Also been using #advrider.

My phone number is 512-803-8381 if you see I'm in your area and want to meet.

Onward!

Assorted Photos, to be organized and repaired eventually.

Replaced leaky fork seals I noticed two days before I left.

Tennessee Lunch

Ziplining with Nick in Nashville

Camping in North Carolina Appalachia on Bluff Mountain

Garage of first ADV host, dlrides

Riding out of the rainy rush hour on the interstate in Knoxville, TN.

With Nick at his new house in Baltimore.

I'm saving all my receipts to do some kind of art project with. Maybe draw on top of them and make prints to sell. This is the first weeks worth.

Mornin

2 up Luggage setup

Ersters and a Lobster Roll in York, Maine.

Jackie being cute just after arriving in rainy Portland, Maine. Notice the makeshift duffel bag rain cover.

Jackie in downtown Portland, Maine.

First oil change in Portland, Maine.

Hunter Mountain in the Catskills, New York.

Peaceful Valley Campsite outside of the Catskills, New York.

Wildcat Mountain State Park, Ontario, Wisconsin Rode this at night very slowly. A truck hit a deer just after this moments before I arrived. They slit her throat.

Very difficult steep gravel off roading in Ontario, Wisconsin.

Drying laundry.

Morning Twilight west of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Arrived at the Jellystone Campgrounds after 10:30pm and rolled out at 5:30am before opening to avoid paying the 50$ camping fee. Just slept on the ground in my bag.

Little bit of dirt riding on way to Sturgis.

1800 Town, South Dakota. Spent 17 hours riding the 400 miles to Sturgis, twilight to twilight because I had to stop at all the attractions.

WALL DRUG! Wall, SD.

Rapid City, SD

Friendly Horses

First night, 250 miles. Behind a Mexican restaurant near Tyler, Texas.

Beautiful Jackie and I at a wedding in Hartford. She rode with me for a week in the NE.

First site I dropped the bike. Greenfield State Park, NH.

NEVER go on tour without paracord.

slicecity screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 12:08 PM
slicecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
slicecity OP
10K USA 2013

Fixed pictures!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
slicecity OP
10K USA 2013

Monday, July 29,2013 Pilgrimage to Questor's house. Bozeman to Idaho falls

Took my sweet time riding to and through Yellowstone and realized I was going much too slowly to make it before dark. It was really dumb of me to ride these crazy roads at night. Went through the Gallatin Forest, Yellowstone, saw unerupting Ol Faith, rode through the Tetons, Jackson, and the Targhee forest. The second half of it was a really shitty, wet, cold and dark ride. Going through the Teton Pass at dusk and the following mountain passes at dark after a 12 hour day was awful. Deer and bugs and eager rednecks in trucks passing me on 10% downhill grade mountain twisties. Pretty though. Was super happy to arrive at Questors (Edward) house and drink beers. Signed the ADV shower curtain.

Questor

Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,330
Good luck on your adventure, nice meeting you !
Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,452
Talk about go big or go home!!

One heck of a first tour!

Glad to see you are starting to writing this up!

Looking forward to your updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
This looks strangely familiar. My report is in my sig.

Enjoy it. Will read along.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer: 124
Custer, SD

What an epic ride and thanks for making me a small part of it!

Oh and you could see a nice shiny blinker peeking around the front of the bike, at least you had it for a day!

Thanks for stopping through, wish we could have done more!
Akunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Hey!

Thanks for stopping by and bringing beer.
That picture of your bike at the Tetons is classic.
Well done.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
That picture of your bike at the Tetons is classic.
Well done.

Q~

Agreed. Front page material!

Please nominate it, I'm posting from my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
slicecity OP
10K USA 2013

More unsorted photos, Idaho Falls, Ellensburg, Olympia

Tuesday, July 30, 2013. Idaho Falls to Ellensburg, WA. 650 miles, my longest day so far. I didn't start tracking my route until out of Idaho Falls. I slept 5 hours the night before, after riding from Bozeman to the falls, through Yellowstone and the Tetons, so it was a tough day. I ended up riding at night again and kicking myself for it. The beautiful twisty, dark OR ad WA mountain roads are not enjoyable at night. I was able to average 90mph until nightfall though, to get as far as possible in the light.

The computer lab at The Evergreen State College (2009 Alumni) in Olympia closed, so descriptions will have to come later. I slept in the forest on campus last night. I started to take my bags off but then decided to just ride down the trail, since it was 1am and no one was around. Try and guess what kind of bike ill be getting next!

I slept wonderfully on the ground, on my sleeping pad and bag and covered up with my insulated tarp when it got a bit chilly and drizzly. The 2s growth evergreens kept the rain out of the woods for the most part and the tarp kept me warm and dry. Somehow I didn't wake up with any new bites or stings. There isn't much to worry about in these woods, except the occasional poisonous hobo spider or lost cougar. I was too lazy to set up my tent and the trees were too big for my hammock. I went off the trail, but was not hidden. At all. I wonder what kind of ticket I would have gotten for riding a motorcycle into the forest. When I left this morning, I had to get off and push my bike uphill, in a reverse, 5 point turn before I could get out. I parked on a downhill
slope. I was only about a 30 second ride into the woods, but as I was leaving I passed two girls. They were laughing hysterically at the sight of me. "DUDE. What the hell are you doing?! We heard something in the woods. Nice ride!"

On my way to Seattle now to pick up Jackie from
the airport!

slicecity screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 06:36 PM
Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
slicecity OP
10K USA 2013

Will fully update report soon, but here's a cool lil update! Also posted on first page. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...k-walmart.html
I am featured in the New York Times this week. I slept in the Walmart parking lot in flagstaff on the second to last night of my trip and was photographed for a photo essay called "Paradise, Paved" about Walmart campers.

And a couple of new pictures for good measure.
Jesse and I rode 10 miles of dirt on Jackson rd in the Sierra the day after riding Yosemite. Jesses second ever day of riding.
Road Beard.

Wal Mart Camp Spot
August 16, 2013. Last day of trip. Reunited with Jackie after arriving at home at 10pm. 10,799 miles, no tickets or accidents! Did the last 1,500 miles in 3 days across California, Mojave desert, Arizona, NM and Texas.

slicecity screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 02:30 PM